10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 2:17 PM by eferz RSS

TiVo "Enter/Last" Button

dougtuckg

On occasion I need to restart my tivo which requirs me to select the thumbs-down button 3 times and then select the "enter/last" key (lower right hand corner of tivo remote)....I was testing the android slingplayer to make sure I could do this if needed...can get to the 3 thumbs-down, but I cannot find the 'enter' key anywhere...even tried the "enter" on the numeric pad which does nothing...any ideas or is this a needed feature to be added.  Thanks!

btw, you could do this on the windows mobile version of the slingplayer, the enter key was available.

• Re: TiVo "Enter/Last" Button
          Apprentice

Hi, dougtuckg.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

As the first step, we recommend you to check this link in order to determine if your TiVo model is included on the supported TV sources list:

Finding your video source

If it is included, we recommend you to run the "Configure TV sources" process once again and make sure to select the right options.

Regards,
          The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team.

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry to disagree with a moderator but I don't think this will help.  The remote you select during the 'Configure Video Sources' is downloaded to the Slingbox and is subsequently used by ALL viewers. 

You say it works OK with the Slingplayer mobile, does it also work with Slingplayer PC/MAC and the Web-based Player ?

If not then the advice is correct and you need to refresh the Remote by running the routine.  If it does work with all the other viewers then this is a problem specific to the Android Slingplayer and the way it interpretes the codes.   There are quite a number of threads on this forum with people having problems with individual buttons on this version, so it might be a good idea to check those to see if someone else has solved it.

dougtuckg

Thanks everyone for their input, but, wow, I think I really need to re-explain.

1) The full TiVo remote is available, including the Enter/Last button, on the PC version of the SlingPlayer.

2) I used to have the Windows Mobile version of SlingPlayer installed on my Windows Mobile Phone, and it also had all the TiVo controls, including the Enter/Last button was available.

3) I just installed Android version of SlingPlayer on my Android HTC Incredible Phone, and it also has all the TiVo controls, even the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down, EXCEPT I CANNOT locate the Enter/Last button anywhere in the Android version of SlingPlayer.  In order to do a TiVo system reset this is the last button you have to push, it then reboots.

Hopefully this clarifies the issue.   All I want to do is locate the TiVo Enter/Last button in the Android SlingPlayer.

Thanks! : )

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, that was as I thought, this is specific to the Android.   Unfortunately I don't have one so am not qualified to comment on how you access the buttons, you need another Android user.

If you don't have any success and you REALLY need that button I might be able to build a 'special' Custom Remote for the TIVO that moves that 'Enter' function to another button that is available on the Android viewer.   But that is a rather drastic step so get back to me if another solution does not appear.

Cheers

Al

eferz Expert

alanrichey42 wrote:

Yes, that was as I thought, this is specific to the Android.   Unfortunately I don't have one so am not qualified to comment on how you access the buttons, you need another Android user.

More specifically, he'd need another Andriod user with the same options which he chose during the Setup Assistant.  The Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod is very dependant on the options you pick during the Setup Assistant.  Through those choices, a specific remote control profile is upload into your Slingbox.  That profile is interpreted by each Slingplayer (Desktop, Web, and Mobile) client and each will chose how to represent that remote on your device.

In some cases, buttons will be hidden or new buttons will be displayed.  Specific button availablity is different across all iPhone, WinMo, Blackberry,  and Andriod mobile clients.  It seems to me that the choice in availbilty is whimsical and it doesn't seem that there's a unified direction in management across the different Slingplayer Mobile clients.

androidui.jpg

The virtual remote control interface (as pictured above) on the Slingplayer for Andriod is split up into four screen: VCR/DVR, Direction Pad, Channel Keypad, and Miscellaneous.  Five if you count the toggle button on the bottom of the direction pad (as pictured below) screen which switches the available buttons.

SPMA2.jpg

So, if his button doesn't appear on any of these five screens, then he has a choice of trying out other compatible TiVo remote profiles in the Setup Assistant or having a custom remote profile made as a work around to the lack of representation on the Slingplayer's virtual remote interface.

alanrichey42 Master

eferz wrote:

So, if his button doesn't appear on any of these five screens, then he has a choice of trying out other compatible TiVo remote profiles in the Setup Assistant or having a custom remote profile made as a work around to the lack of representation on the Slingplayer's virtual remote interface.

Funnily enough, purely as an intellectual exercise I have replaced my built-in Series 2 TIVO on-screen Remote (which worked perfectly ) with a Custom Remote I built which looks identical but allows me to swap functions/buttons around.   So it should be easy enough to produce a Custom TIVO remote which works on all viewers but 'borrows' one of the underused buttons to be an extra 'Enter' command.

eferz Expert

alanrichey42 wrote:

Funnily enough, purely as an intellectual exercise I have replaced my built-in Series 2 TIVO on-screen Remote (which worked perfectly ) with a Custom Remote I built which looks identical but allows me to swap functions/buttons around.   So it should be easy enough to produce a Custom TIVO remote which works on all viewers but 'borrows' one of the underused buttons to be an extra 'Enter' command.

You could also do what I did with the Roku and DirecTV remotes or what you did with my Sony DVD remote, where paired funtions were duplicated on unused keymaps.

Apprentice

Hi, dougtuckg.

Thank you for contacting Slingbox Answers Forum!

Just checking, we would like to know if the information provided here helped you to fix the reported issue. Just make sure to post your results!

Regards,
                        The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

dougtuckg

Well, not really.  Lots of information was provided...I had run the initial setup on my Slingbox with a TiVo Series 3 remote and that is the only remote that shows on the PC when I run the SlingPlayer on the PC...the remote that shows is an exact duplicate of the actual TiVo remote.  I guess, the TiVo Enter/Last button is simply not available in the android version...and although I appreciate all the programming ideas, I am not going to spend the time or effort...I suggest Sling update the android software so the Enter/Last button is available as a normal function of the software...it is helpful to have simply if you want to switch back and forth between the same 2 channels.

Thanks anayway.

eferz Expert

dougtuckg wrote:

Well, not really.  Lots of information was provided...I had run the initial setup on my Slingbox with a TiVo Series 3 remote and that is the only remote that shows on the PC when I run the SlingPlayer on the PC...the remote that shows is an exact duplicate of the actual TiVo remote.  I guess, the TiVo Enter/Last button is simply not available in the android version...and although I appreciate all the programming ideas, I am not going to spend the time or effort...I suggest Sling update the android software so the Enter/Last button is available as a normal function of the software...it is helpful to have simply if you want to switch back and forth between the same 2 channels.

Thanks anayway.

The Enter/Last button can be added into the "MISC" section with a custom remote bin.  Either Alan Richey or I can help you with this if you'd like one created for you.  Depending on the Slingbox keymap file, we may not be able to give it the same label though we can definately provide the appropriate function.

screenshot_1.png

However, the remote keypad for the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod doesn't quite work like the Slingplayer Desktop.  In this box, you queue up the channel number in the white edit box.  When you press "enter" in this interface the channel information is sent to the Slingbox and also stored in the "last channel bar" below.  This bar gives you a quick option to switch between channels the last channels entered.

screenshot_3a.png