8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2016 7:49 PM by tracyknox05 RSS

why is this so difficult?

midsummersknigh
    Visibility: Open to anyone

i just bought an m1. I paired it with my laptop on my home network...which was not an intuitive process. I travelled 30 miles away with my laptop and was able to view television; great!

now I want to access the m1 from another laptop instead of the first. how do I pair it if I am 30 miles away? I went on to slingplayer.com which shows that the m1 is in my account. I cannot watch from there. in fact if I check the status it is listed as offline yet I can launch the desktop app and watch tv with it still listed as offline. why is it always listed as offline?

is it the case that the m1 must be paired in physical proximity with every device?

this m1 is meant to be travelling 1,000 miles away. the converter box there will be different from the one I set up. is there a way of changing the converter box settings without resetting the m1? am I supposed to bring my laptop and re-pair it at the new location?

• Re: why is this so difficult?
          alanrichey42 Master

1.   Have you installed the Slingbox Desktop Player on the laptop ?   Once you have done that you will be able to connect and watch the M1.

2.   When you go to Standard View and show Settings there is a Reconfigure Video Input option

midsummersknigh

I guess it is time for me to go to idiot school. please address me as if I am an idiot undergrad.

the documentation that came with the m1 said simply go to the web to m1setup which I did.

there it had me download the desktop pc app. it configured the device. it had me create a sling online account.

I watched tv on the laptop. then I went 30 miles away from the m1.

I launched the desktop app on the laptop I had paired earlier. viola I am watching tv!!!

i log off 7 shut down the first laptop.

now i want to access the m1 from a different laptop , which is 30 miles away from the m1. please detail the steps necessary to access the m1 with a second virgin laptop. thank you.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, forget about this pairing business, it doesn't exist.   To watch your M1 from a remote location you just need to :

1.   Install the Desktop Player on the new laptop (I have asked you twice now if you have done this but you seem reluctant to answer?)

2.   Start the Player and log into the Sling Account you created (I hope you remember the login address and password)

Select the M1 when the Directory appears.

midsummersknigh

I see that I can download the desktop app for pc on the second laptop. if I use the same account, yes I can view tv. (I still cannot see where to change the converter box and I have no "standard view, show settings, or reconfigure video" options). if, however, I set up a second slingbox account, I cannot "add" this m1 to that new account.

so I guess with a m1: you must configure and pair it with a piece of equipment on a local network with an account. you must configure it locally, you must pair it locally, and the only account it is visible to is the account you set it up with. if you move it to a new location, one that has a different converter box, you must reset the m1 and configure it all over again. adding it to the account you set up earlier.

m1: no user accounts, no web portal, must be reset & reconfigured when moved, no remote configuration!

alanrichey42 Master

I see that I can download the desktop app for pc on the second laptop. if I use the same account, yes I can view tv.

Good, now that is sorted

I still cannot see where to change the converter box and I have no "standard view, show settings, or reconfigure video" options)

Yes you do, you just haven't checked out the interface.  If you hover your mouse over the icons in the top right you will see the one with 4 ingoing arrows is the 'Standard' view.

Image1.jpg

f, however, I set up a second slingbox account, I cannot "add" this m1 to that new account.W

Why setup a second account ?   Totally pointless.

so I guess with a m1: you must configure and pair it with a piece of equipment on a local network with an account. you must configure it locally, you must pair it locally, and the only account it is visible to is the account you set it up with.

You are talking about 'pairing' again.  I have told you already that it not a feature.  You are right you need to use a laptop on the same network as the M1 for the initial setup, so that it can setup the handshaking with the router, but after that all you need to do to watch it on another platform is as we have discussed, install the Desktop Player and log in.

if you move it to a new location, one that has a different converter box, you must reset the m1 and configure it all over again. adding it to the account you set up earlier.

NO, You are right that if you move the M1 to a different location with a different ROUTER, then yes, you need to reset it and run the setup on a laptop on the same LAN so it can talk to the router.   If you are simply changing the AV device you are using as the TV source all you need to do is go to the Standard View, Settings and reconfigure the Input.   That can even be done from a remote location, you don't need to be on the same LAN as the Slingbox.

tracyknox05

I too am having trouble adding the Same slingbox to a second account. This is not pointless as multiple people in the same family access the same slingbox. My sister, two brothers and I all have separate accounts. We upgraded from a Pro--with all being able to log in to this one slingbox with separate accounts--to an M1. My brother took it home and set it up. I am 3.5 hours away, and cannot see a way to add this. Does he have to log into my account while on the same network as the slingbox to add it to my account?