16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 6:23 AM by DKynwa RSS

Slingcatcher network light not on - can't watch TV

smsbox

I replaced my power adapter because the old one stopped working. Now, the Network light (the middle light) on my Slingcatcher will not turn on. I replaced the ethernet cord and tried to reset the box but nothing helps. I can watch my shows on my computer but not on my TV that is connected to the Slingcatcher. Anyone have suggestions on what I need to do?

• Re: Slingcatcher network light not on - can't watch TV
          pbritain89

I have the same exact issue. I called customer support and was told that there is something wrong with the network adapter so they are sending me a new one in the mail. Hope you get it worked out!

metalunna Newbie

Were/are you getting a "NO NETWORK" error?

I just started to get this yesterday.

I tried restarting (hard and soft)

replaced ethernet cable

Tried another power adapter

Updated my routers firmware

My 2nd catcher works fine.

Had this device since they became available

Nothing has changed on my netowrk side.

EDIT ** All 3 lights on my linksys switch (that coorespond to the catcher blink on and off steadily once i power on the device..  All 3 Lights blink on and off at the same time...It does not look like normal traffic blinking.It almost looks like the catcher's NIC is power cycling.

I am gettting the exact same problem and it started about the same time. I think I updated the firmware on either the slingbox or slingcatcher and it satrted around then but I can't be 100% sure. I think this is a big problem for a lot of people.

eferz Expert

Please elaborate more about your issue.  A "me too" post isn't very helpful.

Since you have the Slingbox and SlingCatcher, can you test the Slingbox connectivity using the Slingplayer software?  Also make note if the Slingbox and/or SlingCatcher have a lit network light.  A solid light means that it has a valid IP address and can particpate on the network.  A blinking light means that its trying to get a DHCP address from your router but is unable to obtain one.  No light means that it has timed out and was not able to find a DHCP server nor was a valid IP address for the network.

Sometimes the problem is that the the current IP address is invalid but isn't able to get a new address.  This can be fixed by performing a factory reset of the Slingbox as described in the following article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html).

Sorry eferz, I actually hate "me too" post with no info myself soooo here is "me too post" elaborated.

Here is my setup. I have one SlingboxProHD and one Slingcatcher on the same local network on a 2wire brand dsl router provided by AT&T. The netowrk light on my Slingcatcher is not lit but the network light on the 2wire router where the sling catcher is connected is lit but not on the 100 side like everything else that is connected, it is on the 10 side. The slingbox works fine, I can see all of the dishnetwork channels and watch live or recorded shows from the dvr on any computer at the site or away from home. I cant however get the slingcatcher to work. I get the no network message that everyone else is getting. I also tried connecting via slingprojector software but it still gives me the no network message. I assume this is the slingplayer software you are referring too. is this correct? I have tried resetting the sling catcher by holding the resetbutton for more than ten seconds and it comes back up and the netowrk light comes on for about one second and then goes away never to come back up again. I have also reset the router and I am fairly certain that I have reset the slingbox as well. The last time I was connected I did a upgrade on the slingbox software ( I think) right before I disconnected. It also could have possibly been an update on the slingplayer software or an upgrade on the sling catcher, I am just not sure.

Does that help?

eferz Expert

255909013467227 wrote:

Sorry eferz, I actually hate "me too" post with no info myself soooo here is "me too post" elaborated.

Awesome, thanks!

Here is my setup. I have one SlingboxProHD and one Slingcatcher on the same local network on a 2wire brand dsl router provided by AT&T. The netowrk light on my Slingcatcher is not lit but the network light on the 2wire router where the sling catcher is connected is lit but not on the 100 side like everything else that is connected, it is on the 10 side.

Interesting, I believe that both the Slingbox Pro-HD and the SlingCatcher have 10/100Mbps ethernet ports.  So, here's our first symptom.

The slingbox works fine, I can see all of the dishnetwork channels and watch live or recorded shows from the dvr on any computer at the site or away from home.

I'm guessing that you're either using the Slingplayer Desktop or the Web Slingplayer clients to watch the Slingbox.  Excellent, so we can eliminate the Slingbox as a source of contention.

I cant however get the slingcatcher to work. I get the no network message that everyone else is getting. I also tried connecting via slingprojector software but it still gives me the no network message. I assume this is the slingplayer software you are referring too. is this correct?

Actually, no.  The Slingplayer (client) allows you to watch the Slingbox (server).  The Slingprojector (server) allows you to broadcast video to your SlingCatcher (client).

I have tried resetting the sling catcher by holding the resetbutton for more than ten seconds and it comes back up and the netowrk light comes on for about one second and then goes away never to come back up again. I have also reset the router and I am fairly certain that

Darn it.  After the reset, it should blink to indicate that is requesting a DHCP address from your router.  Just for sake of completeness, try to perform the reset as per this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html).

I am fairly certain that I have reset the slingbox as well. The last time I was connected I did a upgrade on the slingbox software ( I think) right before I disconnected. It also could have possibly been an update on the slingplayer software or an upgrade on the sling catcher, I am just not sure.

Does that help?

You can eliminate the Slingplayer and Slingbox from the troubleshooting process.  It sounds like they are working fine, so there's no reason to alter them.

It appears that your SlingCatcher for some reason doesn't want to get a DHCP address.  Maybe try a different port on your router, a good idea is to swap the ports with the Slingbox since we know that's is a known working port.  This would be a good test to see if the problem follows the port on the router.

I've heard a malfunctioning AC adapater can also cause this issue.  I believe that the Slingbox and the SlingCatcher uses the same AC adapter.  You can verify this by comparing the power configuration from the AC adapter and the label on the bottom of your SlingCatcher.  If they match, then you can test your SlingCatcher with a different AC adapater.  This will help you determine if the problem is with the SlingCatcher or the AC adapter.

Novice

Hi smsbox,

You can use the following link to troubleshoot the SlingCatcher

SlingCatcher: Basic Troubleshooting

Now, metalunna, in your case, I would recommend that you try connecting the SlingCatcher directly to the router, just to remove the switch as the potential problem.

Thanks,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

metalunna Newbie

hi

i have tried to plug it directly to the router and i get the same result.  only differenve is that the router does not have the three lights per port.  therefore the link light on the router blinks on and off in the same rhythmic pattern.

i unplugged the other devices from the router so that it was the only thing connected.  i reset the router and the catcher...no dice

Novice

Sorry to hear about that metalunna, if still the same after that, my recommendation would be to test from a different network/router, if still no luck then feel free to contact our Technical Support for further advice:

Contact  SlingMedia Support.

Thanks,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

metalunna Newbie

Gee..what a shock. The power adapter just died on my other sling catcher..It's a good thing that I have another broken catcher laying around. I guess I'll use that power supply (that was a replacement as well). 2 Catchers..2 busted power supplies and one NIC that went bad. All in less than 2 years.

Sorry Sling.I love your stuff I honestly do..But I have to admit that the hardware on the devices is just plain horrible.

I have 4 other sling devices (3 solos and 1 HD Pro) that im waiting to conk out. I sweat just about every time I connect to a device. I have recommended Sling stuff...actually bragged....to others and now I look like a fool when I have to explain to them when they call me with power supply and freezing up issues.  I have to tell them that they "just dont make em like they used to"

Sorry Sling..I still love ya..but just not in that way.

Crivens

Yep I would say power adapter. Mine only had the power light on and no network light so I swapped it for the slingbox power adapter. Worked a treat. I could get another adapter from Sling under warranty, but is obviously rubbish if you google around, so I got a universal one and it's worked fine since

Cheers

JGraves

I have the same problem.  For me, it started last year and I could not resolve it so it got shelved.  The network light stays off and no network connection.  If I hit the reset button, the light comes on for a second and then off again.  Had it hooked up with slinglink and figured it got zapped by a surge.  I'll try the power supply swap suggestion.  I will cross my fingers cause this thing for me was an expensive toy.  It dying only after a few times of use has made me sick to my stomach.  So far, this thing has been a major waste of money.  At least I got a little usage out my classic before it starting acting up.  On a positive note, my Pro-HD and slinglinks are still working as expected.

DavidTownsend

I had the same problem - drove me nuts and was going to throw the box in the bin. However I work in IT so gave it a bit more thought and have now found out the reason why. This is what happened to me:-

1. I purchased a new router this caused loads of issues espically with SlingBox but the trick with the SlingBox is to make sure you hold the reset button down for at least 12 seconds. Do NOT briefly press it what I originally did. By holding it down it will call into the router again to get a new IP address via a service called DHCP.

2. I done that and great my SlingBox was working - However I also had two sling catchers one of them was working great and the other well the network light never came on. I read a couple of posts here and guessed it was probably because it could not get an IP address from the DHCP server. This sounded crazy because I only have about ten devices in my network so there be at least 230 free IP address available.

3. So I checked my router LAN configurations for DHCP allocation. My new router was a NetGear and there was a screen showing all active devices attached to my network and their IP address. The problem was that the SlingBox after resetting it took 192.168.0.254 why it took that IP address I have no idea as the range allocated for DHCP is 192.168.0.1 up to 192.168.0.254 and it should have chosen something like 192.168.0.8. But the SlingBox had taken the very last IP address in the range.

4. Now what should happen is the router says OK I see someone has taken the last IP address so I will try and reuse some of the other numbers. Unfortunately the router is not this cleaver so it basically just thinks its run out of IP addresses and therefore will not issue any more, thus the network light on the SlingCatcher never comes on as it can not get an IP address and therefore cannot connect to the network.

5. What I did to overcome the issue is as follows. I first turned off the SlingBox as it was that was taking the last IP address. I could confirm this as when I pulled the power out and did a show be active devices in my router screen. The x.x.x.254 address had gone so it was the SlingBox that took this. I then went into the router and narrowed down the IP address for DHCP so I put in 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.100. Want I wanted to do here is force the SlingBox to take a lower number and if it took 192.168.0.100 that be fine as I will re-adjust the range again. In the end I do not think that step was necessary as when I powered up the SlingBox making sure I held the reset button down for 12 seconds so it would force it to go into DHCP and get a new IP address from my router. It gave a sensible address this time like 192.168.0.6. I confirmed this by going into the active devices screen in my router.

6. I then went into the router config for DHCP and reset the range back again for 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254

At the end of the day it was a router issue with NetGear for me. I can see this probably happening to other people so wanted to post here so you do not go throwing away your SlingCatchers.

I hope this helps.

JGraves

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. I should have thought of trying that.  My catcher was connected to a DAP-1522 bridge or a slinglink turbo which neither had problems giving out IP's on my network but your suggestion is worth a shot.  I'll hook the catcher directly to my DGL-4500 router, reset the catcher, and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, I just may need to reset my router and start again from scratch.  The problem could be an IP address conflict.  I assign static ip's for stuff I recognize and then label what they are in the router setup. The catcher was setup some time ago with an assigned IP.  The catcher could be trying to use an IP currently in use by something else.  This would have occured after a router firmware update in which I would have rebuilt the configuration file from scratch.  I really hate doing this because when my network goes down, no one can watch tv on my htpc.  Guess I'll have to stay up late one night and get'r done. Thanks all.

DKynwa

Same error here
                                      No light in the network's lamp.

On the television it say´s No Network
                                      I've done a hard reset without success
                                      Tried 5 different patch cables and a crossover cable.
                                      There is no sign that the Catcher trying to get an IP in the DHCP on the router
                                      I also tried another router on another subnet but here it can not get any IP.
                                      its the Catcher, so it has nothing to do with port forwarding to do.

Also tried different power supply