2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 11:08 AM by eferz RSS

Why is Sling Media alienating Japan and New Zealand?

eferz Expert

Why isn't Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod available in Google Marketplace for Japan and New Zealand?

I understand other countries have a limitation due to paid app availablity, but why has Sling Media alienate the Kiwis and the Japanese?

Google Marketplace
      Sling  Media Android
      AustraliaAustralia
      AustriaAustria
      CanadaCanada
      FranceFrance
      GermanyGermany
      ItalyItaly
      Japan----
      NetherlandsNetherlands
      New Zealand---
      SpainSpain
      SwiterlandSwiterland
      United KingdomUnited Kingdom
      United StatesUnited States

Resources:

http://www.slingmedia.com/get/pr-spm-android-launch.html

Current Pricing and Availability

SlingPlayer Mobile Android is available now for download for $29.99* in  the Android Market in the following countries: Australia, Austria,  Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United  Kingdom and the United States.

http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143779

Paid App Availability

Priced applications are currently only available to users in the  following countries:

• Australia
      • Austria
      • Canada
      • France
      • Germany
      • Italy
      • Japan
      • Netherlands
      • New Zealand
      • Spain
      • Switzerland
      • United Kingdom
      • United States

We're working hard to add more countries, so please stay tuned!

• Re: Why is Sling Media alienating Japan and New Zealand?
          Apprentice

Hi eferz, we are aware that there are people interested in buying this application in Japan, Autralia and even more countries that are not listed yet.

We are always looking to provide availability and support to as many places as possible so that's what I have moved this post to the enhancements request area.

I wish I could provide you information about the future availability for this product for other countries but for now I want to ask you to please keep checking our web site for further updates on this.

Best regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

• Re: Why is Sling Media alienating Japan and New Zealand?
              eferz Expert

RafaelB wrote:

Hi eferz, we are aware that there are people interested in buying this application in Japan, Autralia and even more countries that are not listed yet.

We are always looking to provide availability and support to as many places as possible so that's what I have moved this post to the enhancements request area.

I wish I could provide you information about the future availability for this product for other countries but for now I want to ask you to please keep checking our web site for further updates on this.

Best regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

Actually, Rafael.  My cousins in Australia and Austria do have access to Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod.  However, my relatives in New Zealand and Japan aren't  able to download it from the Google Marketplace.  We understand this is a decision made by Sling Media since paid app availablity is through Google.  However, we don't understand why Sling would discriminate people from purchasing the application where it is paid app availablity is not filtered by Andriod Marketplace.

Priced applications are currently only available to users in the   following countries:

• Australia
              • Austria
              • Canada
              • France
              • Germany
              • Italy
              • Japan
              • Netherlands
              • New Zealand
              • Spain
              • Switzerland
              • United Kingdom
              • United States

Here's a list of countries that do not support paid applications because of Google's Andriod Market.

• Argentina
              • Belgium
              • Brazil
              • Bulgaria
              • Croatia
              • Czech  Republic
              • Denmark
              • Estonia
              • Finland
              • Greece
              • Hong  Kong
              • Ireland
              • Israel
              • Kazakhstan
              • Latvia
              • Lithuania
              • Luxembourg
              • Mexico
              • Norway
              • Philippines
              • Poland
              • Portugal
              • Romania
              • Russia
              • Serbia
              • Singapore
              • Slovakia
              • Slovenia
              • South  Africa
              • South Korea
              • Sweden
              • Taiwan
              • Thailand

This brings me to another point, I do have relatives in other countries  where they can download free Andriod from within the Andriod Market.   However, they often have to go to different sites to download paid  applications.  Game Loft is an example of a site which has its own  Andriod Store to purchase apps due to Google's Andriod Market inability  to penetrate the global market.  Since Sling Media has its own mobile store (http://mobile.slingmedia.com/), I was wondering why hasn't the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod hasn't been also made available there.