5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2014 9:08 AM by ferguspa RSS

Slingbox 500 and HDMI/HDCP

ACC4661102
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have had my Slingbox 500 for a little over a year. It used to work fine with my previous DVR which had both component output and HDMI. My new DVR only has HDMI and composite and so now the Slingbox is basically limited to SD. I could lay out on an HDFury or similar box to overcome the fundamental deficiency of the Slingbox but we should I have to lay out more money? If HDFury or equivalent boxes can handle this why doesn't Slingbox? I have to say that I am very disappointed as SLingbox doesn't seem to have any solution and maybe even a future. Anyone else concerned?

• Re: Slingbox 500 and HDMI/HDCP
          ferguspa Apprentice

What are you hoping Sling Inc. to do in this situation?  Implementing HDMI without HDCP (or stripping HDCP) isn't possible unless they want to be sued into the ground.  I agree there's a problem as Sling. Inc goes forward and needs to be able to use cable/satellite boxes that only support HDMI, but at this point the best solution is to ask your provider for a box that provides HD-capable component video output.

ACC4661102

I expect Sling to implement HDCP in their boxes so that this problem is addressed. That is the encryption works between the source and the Slingbox. Given that the Slingbox is effectively downgrading the signal anyway for transmission this should be acceptable to the HDCP rules creators. Of course, from what I understand it requires a chip in the box as well as software modifications. Therefore I assume that my Slingbox is basically junk unless I cough up another $150+ for an HDFury. I would have bought a new DVR with component output if I could find one, but no one seems to make them anymore. Given that HDCP has been around for almost 10 years, Sling has been very lax in keeping up with modern technology.

ferguspa Apprentice

I think implementing HDCP-compatible HDMI would prevent the Slingbox from streaming high-definition video.  From the Wikipedia article about HDCP:

In order to make a device that plays material protected by HDCP, the manufacturer must...submit to various conditions. For example, the device...must not transmit high definition protected video to non-HDCP receivers...

ACC4661102

Good point but why are there so many add on boxes that do the same thing? Not picking on HDFury but that seems to be the market leader in this space where it takes an HDCP/HDMI signal and sends it in full HD to a non-HDCP receiver. If they and the others can do it legitimately, then why can't Sling? I know this is another case of using technology to penalize the legitimate user while the bad guys (counterfeiters) just ignore the law, but I would have thought that Sling, as a reputable company, would be able to work with Intel/DCP to come to a solution. I will continue to dream..........

From the Wikipedia article you referenced:

Edward Felten wrote "the main practical effect of HDCP has been to create one more way in which your electronics could fail to work properly with your TV," and concluded in the aftermath of the master key fiasco that HDCP has been "less a security system than a tool for shaping the consumer electronics market.