13 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2015 3:55 AM by 6wTaOM5js1 RSS

Slingplayer for iphone Bitrate drops

ekbsrk Newbie

Hello Im having an issue with my slingbox 350. When streaming on the iphone 6 with v3.8.14, my speed gradually increases up until around 3400kbps. A quick buffer then drops the bitrate down to 1200 kbps. The bitrate again gradually increases until another drop. The cycle constantly repeats. Im using the auto setting in the app. This happens both remotely on a 50mbps+ connection and locally. The slingbox is on a 50mbps upload connection.

Additionally, I get constant buffering when casting to a chromecast. The resolution is also very low when casting.

• Re: Slingplayer for iphone Bitrate drops
          Q3v8MY3J7i

Have you been able to solve this?

Vandit463

I'm having the same issue and am furious that Sling has not updated their app to correct this.  Has anyone heard about an upcoming updates to fix this broken app?

Vandit463

For anyone reading this, the latest Slingbox firmware update (the one with YouTube integration) seems to have rectified the issues with the iphone app.  This fix was LONG overdue.

Too bad doing a hard reset on my old Slingbox 500 a few weeks ago turned it into a brick that wouldn't install the firmware update, so I had to buy a new one.

ekbsrk Newbie

I guess im SOL with the sling 350 then.

Vandit463

Make sure you have the most recent firmware update and give it a shot.  There may have been an update on the 350 to address this.  I played the slingplayer app on my phone for over an hour last night without a single instance of buffering.  The bitrate was getting as high as 6000k without any random drops into triple digits.  Basically, it's working like it used to before whatever recent update screwed it up.  I always assumed it was the iphone app itself, cuz the problem didn't start until the app update after iOS 8 launched, but who knows?

Give it a shot and let me know what happens cuz I'm curious.  Good luck!

ekbsrk Newbie

Still no asnwer and im having the same issues. only now the bitrate is dropping to around 400kbps. It recovers, then drops again, accompanied with buffering and resolution changes. I can attach or send a video to confirm this.  The stream is perfect on my pc. The slingbox 350 deperately needs the update that the sling500 received. Ive been a customer a long time, sling. This is my third slingbox, and ive purchased both ios apps. Lets go...

ekbsrk Newbie

I've done more research  into this over the past few months, since I dont seem to be getting any response. It seems the bit rate consistently builds up to around 3700 kbps and then drops. The stream can never seem to get over that value. Whats also interesting is I've observed this even on the desktop player. However, it seems the desktop player is able to handle the bitrate drop more smoothly. Whereas when streaming on ios and casting to the chromecast, I get buffering and skipped frames during the drop. Its very frustrating. Even more interesting is this happens both on the same network and remotely.

I've since changed to the fios quantum router to handle my 75mbps uppload service and still get the same issue. UPnP is enabled and the ports are forwarded correctly, as I get TCP streaming (see picture). I dont understand why, with 75mbps upload service, that I cant get over 3700 kbps, or in the very least, a stable stream near that bit rate without any drops. This must be an issue with the slingbox, since Ive all but eliminated my router/service setup.IMG_2735.JPG

djlotan

Eric I have the exact same issue. Bitrate reaches high to 2500kbps and then drops to around 1000kbps.

It just started happening to me in the last couple of days, before that, the stream would reach 6000kbps and stay, great constant HD.

Furthermore, its almost impossible to watch on a cellular network, it stays around 250kbps.

I also get TCP streaming which is the better connection. Desktop version is a little better, but still not even close to how it used to be.

This happened to me before, few months ago, drove me crazy and fixed itself 2 days later.

I don't know what is the cause, Slingbox? my internet provider? my router?

Can you also try to watch from your phone on cellular data? to see if you also have that issue?

djlotan

Update:

Ok so the desktop version is now back to normal, around 6000-8000kbps.

But the iphone version still goes up to around 2500-3000kpbs and then drops to 1000kbps.

I'm away from home so there hasn't been any change to my network setup, so what could have fixed the desktop veriosn, I don't know.

If the desktop version is streaming around 6000kbps and my home network and ISP allow it, why does the iphone version drop as soon as it reaches around 2500kbps?

Any thoughts?

It must be some kind of Iphone 6/wifi/Slingbox issue -

- iphone 6 on cellular data - ok.

- iphone 6 on wifi - drops.

- iphone 5 on wifi- ok.

I've tried to reinstall the app on the iphone 6, but its still the same.