51 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2017 7:59 AM by Sunburn74 RSS

SlingPlayer chromecast problem

Tarkus Newbie

SlingPlayer for Android tablet buffers often when connected to chromecast both with Auto and standard quality. The controls also lag eg. changing channels or fastforward, etc....It is ok when video is displayed on tablet itself. I have no chromecast buffering problems when using Netflix, Youtube or HBO to Go so I do not think it is a problem with my router or a bandwith issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Re: SlingPlayer chromecast problem
          ekbsrk Newbie

Same problem with the slingplayer for iphone when casting to chromecast. It buffers often and quality is very low. Using a SB350 and iphone 6.

britt.sling Apprentice

Hello Tarkus,

To help with your connectivity issues try port forwarding your router for the Slingbox. This should prevent things like buffering and give you seamless streaming while casting to the Chromecast. Below is an article that explains Port forwarding:

Hope this helps!!

Brittany

Sling Media Moderation Team

apetryk

Hi.  I have port forwarding enabled and have the same problem.  On the same wifi network I have zero buffering and am getting approx 6000kbps bandwidth.  On the chromecast I get poor quality and constant buffering.

HBO Go works flawlessly on the same chromecast.

Adam

Tarkus Newbie

Brittany, I took your advice and set up port forwarding at the location of the slingbox. The good news is that it actually doubled my throughput for the web player, slingplayer for google tv and when viewing on my Android tablet. The bad new is there is no improvement in streaming thru chromecast. Buffering and disconnections still exist as before to the point where it is unusable. It would be great to hear some feedback from sling media regarding this issue. Is there an acknowledgement of this problem? Is sling media working on fix?

If there is anyone out there who is using the slingplayer for android tablet with chromecast successfully please let the forum know.

Thanks

britt.sling Apprentice

Hello Tarkus,

I am happy to hear from you again! Since the Cromecast streaming still cuts out I would verify that TCP has passed with the port forwarding. An easy way to test this is by looking at the diagnostics for the SlingPlayer and see if you are streaming on Relay or TCP. For seamless streaming TCP is best. I am providing an article below that will walk you through an easy way to check the diagnostics on the SlingPlayer:

If you are still streaming Relay you may want to make sure the router was port forwarded correctly.

Best Regards,

Brittany

Tarkus Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, I called up the diagnostics, Debug Information with a 3 finger tap as instruction suggested. TCP/Relay indicator has a green dot next to it. What does this indicate?

britt.sling Apprentice

Hey Tarkus,

Green dots next to the TCP/ Relay indicate that Internet viewing is not set up correctly, which can degrade your video quality. I would recommend checking your port forwarding. Also, if you have more than one router you may have to port forward one router for the other.  The article below will give you an idea on how to port forward when you have multiple routers:

Have a great one!!

Brittany

Tarkus Newbie

I will review the multiple router link you supplied since I am in a multiple router setup. I will note that using an online port checker indicates that port 5201 is open where it was not before doing the port forwarding. I have a 350 and the settings indicate port 5201. I used a guide different than what you supplied for the multi router setup. I will compare to the one you posted to see if it differs. I still don't understand why I do not have any throughput problems with the web player, android tablet viewing or the google tv player. Seeing speeds up to 3600 kbps. You would think if there was a problem it would be across the board and just not with chromecast.

Tarkus Newbie

Brittany, I did a factory reset on the 350 and ran the setup. I now have 3 green lights instead of just one on the TCP/relay indicator. Can you tell me what that means? If that still indicates a problem can you tell me what this indicator should read with a proper setup.  I can't find any info on what exactly these green lights mean. I still get some Chromecast buffering but it seems slightly better.

ACC6114730

I just posted about this - I've got a slingbox 350 & just tried chromecast. I've had great luck on every other platform (including when on wifi), but the chromecast handoff is just terrible. 320x240.

apetryk

It seems like a common thread to all these posts are users (like me) where slingplayer works fine on multiple devices but buffers horribly on chromecast.  Can't we get some aknowledgement from sling that this must be a problem with their chromecast implementation?

Tarkus Newbie

Yeah Sling Media needs to go back to the drawing board with their Chromecast implementation. Seeing speeds of 6000kbs on the ie and chrome web player. 3600 to 4000 on my Nexus 7 all at remote locations yet Chromecast streaming still stutters and disconnects.

Q3v8MY3J7i

I second these opinions, would be great if slingbox updated us....i bought the slingbox primarily for chromecasting

bdonovan12

I can watch my slingbox perfectly on my tablet and on my computer, but it is unwatchable on the Chromcast. It is constantly buffering and disconnects every 15-20 minutes. From these comments it looks like I am not the only one with this problem, but sling doesn't seem to care.

allisos

It actually works better if you cast the screen, and run the app on a tablet.  I agree, **** poor performance.

stwallis

Chromecast worked acceptably for me when I had kitkat, but now that I have lollipop on Nexus 5, when I go to cast, my show correctly shows up on chromecast, but the N5 is incessantly trying to connect to the chromecast. If I turn my screen off on the Phone, the chromecast disconnects from the slingbox. Come on Sling! The slingbox/chromecast integration is why I bought this 350.

ndedds

Dear Sling,

SlingPlayer apps in general are fabulous for watching on our tablets and phones.  But I too suffer with the buffering, poor quality, and disconnects with your Chromecast implementation.  Like others state, all other Chromecast enabled apps (Watch ESPN, Netflix, etc.) work outstandingly well as far as reliability and video quality. It is not our networks, internet bandwidth, etc., that are the problem.    Many of us continue to support you while you ask $15 per app per device type/OS platform.  In return we deserve better. Please make appropriate performance with Chromecast streaming your highest priority. 

Tarkus Newbie

Brittany, You have not chimmed in !lately. Your port forwarding suggestion a while ago certainly was helpful with increasing the bitrate on the Slingplayer for the web, tablet viewing and google TV all of which I use. Unfortunatly it did not help with the Chromecast issues I originally posted about. Do you still think this is a user configuration issue? Let me ask you this. Under debugging info TCP\Relay indicator what should be displayed asuming  a correctly configured sling box setup for remote viewing.  I had asked this once before but never did get an answer. Unfortunatly there is not any info for this that I could find. This thread is full of Chromecast users with the same buffering problems. Not to mention the google play review page which is riddled with negative reviews due to Chromecast problems. I have opened the necessary ports, checked that they where indeed open.. After opening the ports I saw and improvement in all the aforementioned slingplayer platforms I have access to with the exception of Chromecast.. There are people who actually purchased a slingbox for its advertised Chromecast support. It just does not work. Here is what we need. Are these reported chomecast issues even on Sling Media's radar? If not then they need to be. If so then we need to know if Sling Media has acknowledge this as a bug? If so is a fix on the table or in the works?  All indications point to a bug. Please tell me if you disagree any why. Come on Sling Media!

britt.sling Apprentice

Hello Tarkus,

I apologize for the extreme delay. I have been researching ways to make Chromecast work better overall. To answer your first question, when watching on a connected device you should always be streaming TCP for the best connection. Second, and this it not a Sling related troubleshooting step, you can try port forwarding your Chromecast for port 53 and enable both TCP and UDP. If that fails you can DMZ the IP address in the router which will open all the ports for the Chromecast. I was able to locate this information on Google's forums, http://support.google.com.

Best regards,

Brittany

Tarkus Newbie

Hi Brittany, yes I am aware that tcp is the optimal protocol. I just have no way of knowing if tcp is being used for sure. If  I  do a 3 finger tap on my tablet I get the debugging info. Next to the TCP/Relay indicator I have 3 green dots. What do they mean? Does this indicate a tcp connection? If not what does it indicate and what should be displayed next to the indicator to indicate a tcp connection? Should it be the letters tcp? one dot, two dots? I have no idea what these dots indicate. I will also add that once I connect to the chromecast  there are no dots displayed and the area next to the indicator is blank. If I switch back to the android tablet for viewing the 3 dots reappear.

Tarkus Newbie

Brittany, I tried the port 53 suggestion. No improvement. Please keep us updated with any progress on your end.

Thanks

Tarkus Newbie

Hi Brittany, my mistake the 3 lights are actually light blue both under debugging info and when I tap the source button. I will try your suggestion with port 53 and report back.

Q3v8MY3J7i

I dont understand why the route for solving this keeps being related to the router settings. It has NOTHING to do with that. This is an issue with slingbox's chromecast solution, the back end portal that slingbox has running for its chromecast "app"

Can slingbox please recognize this properly and address it?

Thx

Alex

ekbsrk Newbie

Is everyone using a Sling 350 that has these problems?

jamon

Back home I have a Slingbox 350 wire connected to a 30Mbps/10Mbps (download/upload) Internet access line through a recently bought router. The SB is the only user on the line as there is nobody else at home when my wife and me are away.

Remotely, I use Chromecast with an Android Tablet with the Slingplayer to Chromecast app.  I also use a Windows 8 laptop with the Slinplayer PC app. The tablet and the laptop are Wi-fi connected to a 12Mbps Internet access line through the same nearby recently bought router.

When I watch Slingbox with the laptop the image quality is most of the time HQ without buffering and disconnects, occasionally it automatically switches to SQ with some buffering but rarely disconnects.

When I watch Slingbox with the tablet/chromecast the image quality is most of the time SQ frequently buffering and disconnecting, occasionally it automatically switches to HQ generally without buffering and disconnecting.

Yesterday, I did the following test: first I connected with the laptop and got the usual HQ on the laptop screen (with 2500Kbps or more)… than disconnected the laptop and immediately connected with the tablet/chromecast and got SQ on TV (with 600Kbps or less) with buffering and disconnecting… disconnected the tablet/chromecast and immediately reconnected with the laptop but this time HDMI connected to the TV and got HQ on TV (with 2500Kbps or better) !!!

Both setups use the same connections and routers, at both ends, but delivered very different image quality and viewing experience, the tablet/chromecast setup being unwatchable most of the time.

Why is that?  What needs to be done to make the tablet/chromecast setup deliver same image quality?

apetryk

I regularly have the same experience.  Same network etc.  Laptop slingplayer gets HD high bandwidth no buffering.  Chromecast slingplayer gets SQ with frequent buffering.

I think the radio silence from sling on this is basically either:

1.  They know they have a problem but won't acknowledge it in the forums.

2.  Their support sucks so badly that despite these repeated posts with the same message from multiple users they haven't registered that this is a problem with their implementation as opposed to a fixed standard narrative of: change your firewall, etc blah blah blah.

Adam

dnyren

they suck, probably want to return ASAP b/c slingbox does not refund on their own and places like best buy only have 14 day return policies, if you want to see something frustrating yet a little amusing check out this conversation with tech support:

DO NOT BUY SLINGBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACC6279797

I just want to add my name to the list of people having the same trouble with the Chromecast slingplayer. No problem with the laptop or other streaming devices, but terrible quality with the chromecast.

I ultimately bought a Roku streaming stick and then did a test. I plugged the Roku stick into one TV, and the Chromecast into another TV. I then casted from my IPad app to the Roku TV and got perfect image quality with virtually no buffering. I then disconnected it and tried the Chromcast TV. Same story...lots of buffering and poor image quality.

It's obviously something with the Chromcast/app combo that's doing it. I really hope they fix it so I don't have to buy another $50 Roku, when I have a perfectly good Chromecast that is supposed to work fine.

marcoduquette

I am facing the exact same issues. Slingplayer with Chromecast is simply not working. All else is working pefectly fine (Hulu, Netflix etc...)

ekbsrk Newbie

Sling, this is so frustrating. Please fix this. I just tried to watch the Rangers-Islanders game on my tv using chromecast, casting from an iphone 6. Download speed is 30mbps wirelessly. Awful picture and constant buffering. I switched to my PC and it streams beautifully. Over 5000kbps with no interruptions. Clearly this is not an internet/router issue.

BTW, I'm slinging remotely. My slingbox 350 is in NY and Im in Fla.

CleoSling

I am having the same chromecast buffering problem everyone else is having as well. Does seem to be an issue with TCP or port forwarding. Looks like it is the slongbox chromecast app itself.

Please patch soon.

ACC6108780

Just to add to the list of names in case Sling is actually still looking at this thread, I have the same problem with the SlingPlayer - Chromecast connection. In fact, I have recommended the Slingbox to several people and have since had to apologize for recommending a solution which is basically unusable. I don't understand why they won't acknowledge this is a problem.

Q3v8MY3J7i

SLINGBOX CAN YOU PLEASE ADDRESS THIS AS AN ISSUE

Chromecast app is still at version 1.0.32 are you guys working on an update? Please stop responding every 3 months with 'solutions' regarding router setup, it has nothing to do with either the home or remote router, tcp/udp, etc.

Q3v8MY3J7i

can you unmark this as being answered so that sling takes this into attn again?

hernandezru

I have the same problem. Not a port forwarding issue. Common SB!

Bobeblue

Slingbox starts with Chromecast and then disconnects telling me to check internet connection on Slingbox 500 or Chromecast.  Both are connected and on the same network connection. Netflix and other streaming works fine with Chromecast so the issue is definitely requiring a fix by Slingbox on the interface.

scottmbritton

Adding my name to the list.  I too have the same issue and have confirmed that port forwarding has been setup properly.  I have resorted to casting my screen on my spare note 3 and running sling app there.  This works perfectly and I have no buffer issues but obviously isn't ideal because that device is now tied up and has to have the screen on the entire time.

If I use the native slingplayer casting built into the app and chrome cast it buffers constantly, changes screen resolution constantly and makes watching anything very frustrating.

Is anyone at slingbox actively looking at this as an issue?

ACC6270371

**** Better Chromecast performance using "Phone" vers SlingPlayer on Android Tablet*****

On an Android 4.1.1 Device ( Kobo Arc) I found that by downloading the SlingPlayer "Phone" App (I am already a registered user of "Tablet" vers) - I am having much better performance and Chromecast connectivity results than using the Tablet Version. I note the latest update version for the "Phone" SlingPlayer is Apr 2015 vs. Oct. 2014 for Tablet version. Using the "Phone" app on the tablet itself before casting, it is very apparent this version of the app is performing better and has an improved interface. It feels like Sling's programming efforts are more evident in the Phone vers app.

To get the Cast Icon to display on the "Phone" app version I had to 1) reboot Chromecast on the Tablet's Chromecast app, and 2) Reboot the tablet.

CAUTION!

* The above results / comments re improved performance are based on a very limited initial use - not tested extensively.

* Its also not clear that all / some other Android Tablets will be compatible with the Phone app version - you'll have to try it.

Suggest you give it try and see what happens - looks promising!

ACC6270371

*****Correction to above. ****** While SlingPlayer Phone still appears a superior app payed on Android Tablet - my observations in prev reply about correcting Chromecast connectivity and performance problems appear premature and incorrect.

Chromecast connection problems did in fact soon re-appear using the Phone vers Android App same as the Tablet vers.

The dreaded "Chromecast Unable to connect (2)" message occurs frequently and Slingbox does not start on TV screen, and Chromecast screen goes back to background image. 

Frequent Reboots of Chromecast and restarts of Android rarely fix the problem.

I estimate 1 successful cast of SlingPlayer for every 4 fails.

Chromecast connection problems / error don't happen on any other Apps casting using same network and hardware - ie. when casting Netflix, Youtube, Chrome tab cast, Chrome entire desktop cast etc.

Clearly a SlingPayer problem specifically and definitely not a UPnP , Port Forwarding, AP Isolation problem.

Sling.com developers it needs fixing - get real.

jmurphy115

This problem is still happening with me, can someone from Sling Media, give us a detailed solution