17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2010 7:56 AM by lgilinsky RSS

Full Screen on Motorola Droid?

hogowner

I can not get a full screen when I am watching any channel on my droid. I used the aspect rato settings.  Is there another setting that I am missing?  Does anyone with a Motorola Droid getting full screen?

Thanks

• Re: Full Screen on Motorola Droid?
          kosteva2

I'm having the same issue.  It seems like for standard 4:3 aspect channels, it'll fill the screen vertically.  When I watch 16:9 aspect HD channels, it doesn't fit either vertically or horizontally.  When I use the Slingplayer on my laptop, I can use the "video zoom" --> "letterbox" view to get the full screen.  I haven't found this option on the mobile version.

eferz Expert

You'd have to play with the aspect ratio from the Slingplayer and/or  your set-top box (if it has one).  That's because there's a mismatch in  aspect ratios between the video format coming from your set-top box and  the actual device displaying it.

(http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000195.html)*

(http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000054.html)

*These  articles have not been updated to reflect all devices, but the basic  premise is the same.

kosteva2

No luck even with adjusting set-top output to different ratios/resolutions.  If Sling just added a "video zoom" "letterbox" aspect to their aspect menue on the mobile version, it'd solve the problem that everyone seems to be having.  They already have this on the standard laptop/desktop program.

eferz Expert

kosteva2 wrote:

They already have this on the standard laptop/desktop program.

Actually, the Slingplayer Desktop doesn't stretch the picture according to the window.  That's done by the operating systsem (codec, graphics drivers, etc).

kosteva2 wrote:

If Sling just added a "video zoom" "letterbox" aspect to their aspect menue on the mobile version, it'd solve the problem that everyone seems to be having. 

I'm curious which aspect ratios do you have available to you?  On my iPhone, I have Standard, Letterbox, and Stretch.  Had a similar discussion with someone on this thread (https://community.sling.com/message/9119#9119).

kosteva2

The standard, non-mobile Slingplayer has a tab under the "view" menu that lets you do "video zoom" and "letterbox" that just lets you zoom in on a 16:9 format video to fill the screen (ie get rid of black bar frame on all sides) without distorting the picture.  Thats the aspect that seems to be missing on the Android mobile players for most people.

The Android mobile player has 4 aspect options "A" (presumably automatic) that will fill vertically for 4:3, but not horizontally without distorting the picture.  16:9 has a black frame on all sides and doesn't fill in any direction.  Next looks like "standard" which pretty much seems the same as "A".  Next is "letterbox" which will stretch the image to fill the horizontal margins for both 4:3 and 16:9.  THis fills the vertical margins for 4:3, but not 16:9.  Last is a "sidebar" with a vertical to the left and right framing the image.  This will cause stretch distortion and not fill the screen horizontally.

eferz Expert

I just watched this video....

You have Automatic, Standard, Letterbox, and Pillarbox aspect ratios available to you on Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod.

Btw, Automatic will put go to Standard when you are on a 4:3 channel and Letterbox when you're on a 16:9 channel.

eferz Expert

I think that I might figured it out.  Check out the difference between these two screenshots.

aspect-ratio.jpg

(above)

Screenshot Legend of Component

4:3 Channel -   Standard16:9 Channel -   Standard
                              4:3 Channel -   Letterbox16:9 Channel -   Letterbox
                              4:3 Channel -   Pillar16:9 Channel - Pillar

Screenshot Legend of S-Video/ Composite

(below)

aspect-ratio-composite.jpg

Okay, all of these screenshots are juxtaposing the difference between standard and high defintion channels with each of the Slingplayer Mobile's ratios.  But, if you look carefully each set has the same ledgend; however, the screenshot shows very different between the two.  The difference is that the top picture with the USA channels is taken from the component output whereas the bottom picture with TNT is from the composite output.

After comparing these screenshots, I would recommend watching SD channels on the composite output with the standard aspect.  Then switch to composite input with the letterbox aspect for when you watch HD channels.

lgilinsky

I have an HTC hero.  Thursday I had the small screen.  Friday I had a full screen.  Saturday I have the small screen again.  What gives?

eferz Expert

Its probably the channel and which output you're using.  You should look at the differences between pictures above.  The top set has six screenshots of the component output, the bottom set is the composite.  The left-hand side are standard definition channels and the right-hand are the high definition channels.  First row of each screen shot is standard aspect, second row is letterbox, and the last one is pillar.

Apprentice

Hi, hogowner.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

If you want to get the fullscreen mode on your Android Mobile device when using the SlingPlayer Mobile application, you will need to use the Component input in your Slingbox. You will need to select Component as the "Video input" option. Make sure to follow this recommendation and let us know how does it work for you!

Kind Regards,
                            The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

lgilinsky

I have an HTC Hero.  Thursday I had the small screen.  Friday I had a full screen.  Now, Saturday, I have the small screen again.  How can I keep the large screen?

eferz Expert

Its probably the channel and which output you're using.  You should look  at the differences between pictures above.  The top set has six  screenshots of the component output, the bottom set is the composite.   The left-hand side are standard definition channels and the right-hand  are the high definition channels.  First row of each screen shot is  standard aspect, second row is letterbox, and the last one is pillar.

Guitar4Him Newbie

An earlier post about using the "Component" input is correct.  When I went from using the integral tuner to using the "Component" input with a feed from the "Component" output on my HD-DVR, it fixed the Full Screen problem on my Motorola Droid.  However, even when using the "Component" input, if I tune to a standard definition channel, I'll get the old 75% screen size.  I only get full screen when I'm tuning to HD channels.  Man...the full-screen video sure is nice!