8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2015 5:37 AM by jamon RSS

Lots of buffering with Chromecast

3S5jofEqQB

I have a Slingbox 350 in the USA.  I am living in Korea right now and when I watch on my computer the Slingbox works really well.  However, when I try to watch on my TV using my Android phone and a Chromecast, I get lots of buffering interruptions.  It is really annoying!  Is there anything I can do to improve the quality?

• Re: Lots of buffering with Chromecast
          ACC6158147

Same here

cody.sling Novice

Hey 3S5jofEqQB,

It's unfortunate that you are having buffering issues with the Chromecast. How the SlingPlayer and Chromecast work together is as follows. The video signal is initiated by SlingPlayer, then handed off to the Chromecast to make a connection with the Slingbox. SlingPlayer also maintains a separate connection with the Slingbox to send IR commands. For the best video quality, make sure that both your mobile device and Chromecast have a good Wi-Fi signal available. Anytime the Wi-Fi signal isn't so good, performance may suffer. Also, you must keep SlingPlayer running in the foreground until it has established a connection with Chromecast. After the connection is established, you can put SlingPlayer in the background by going to another app.

Hope this helps,

Cody,

Sling Media Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

See my post at Constant Buffering with Chromecast   Is that relevant ?

cody.sling Novice

Hi Alan Richey,

Thank you for your post. While I can see how the post can have some relevance with the situation, it does not cover everything. For instance, your upload speed maxing out at 400Kbps would not be sufficient in order to stream properly. So, even if the quality option was to stay on SQ/SD, when being switched to the Chromecast, the video would still buffer as the speeds required to stream from the SlingPlayer to the Chromecast is still not being met. The SlingPlayer has to maintain a connection with the Slingbox, while at the same time maintaining a connection from the Chromecast to the Slingbox.

Cody,

Sling Media Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

Are you saying that the Chromecast requires a higher speed than any other player ? (At 400Kb I watch on laptops and 3 different mobile devices with no problem.  Not the best picture on the world but watchable).  It seems like too much of a coincidence that EVERY player buffers if I have Auto selected but ONLY the Chromecast buffers if I have SQ selected and we know that in the background it has forced the mobile device to revert back to Auto.

jamon

Hi Cody Clark,

Back home I have a Slingbox 350 wire connected to a 30Mbps/10Mbps (download/upload) Internet access line through a recently bought router. The SB is the only user on the line as there is nobody else at home when my wife and me are away.

Remotely, I use Chromecast with an Android Tablet with the Slingplayer to Chromecast app.  I also use a Windows 8 laptop with the Slinplayer PC app. The tablet and the laptop are Wi-fi connected to a 12Mbps Internet access line through the same nearby recently bought router.

When I watch Slingbox with the laptop the image quality is most of the time HQ without buffering and disconnects, occasionally it automatically switches to SQ with some buffering but rarely disconnects.

When I watch Slingbox with the tablet/chromecast the image quality is most of the time SQ frequently buffering and disconnecting, occasionally it automatically switches to HQ generally without buffering and disconnecting.

I did the following test: first I connected with the laptop and got the usual HQ on the laptop screen (with 2500Kbps or more)… than disconnected the laptop and immediately connected with the tablet/chromecast and got SQ on TV (with 600Kbps or less) with buffering and disconnecting… disconnected the tablet/chromecast and immediately reconnected with the laptop but this time HDMI connected to the TV and got HQ on TV (with 2500Kbps or better) !!!

Both setups use the same connections and routers, at both ends, but delivered very different image quality and viewing experience, the tablet/chromecast setup being unwatchable most of the time.

Why is that?  What needs to be done to make the tablet/chromecast setup deliver same image quality?