5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2014 7:53 AM by sbianco RSS

M1 Software Install

sbianco
    Visibility: Open to anyone

My business laptop computer has certain hard drive restrictions (won't run an exe w/o administrator) .  I take this  business computer away with me and is the reason for my interest in the M1.  I understand there is SW that is loaded on my machine to control the M1.  I'm not sure if it will install.  There no sense in buying the M1 if I can't execute the SW.

1.  Is the SW web based or is it installed on my machine?  Can it be web based, e.g. login online under my account to control the M1

2.  Is there a test file I can try to see if it installs on my machine?

I don't want to buy the M1, set it up,  and then findout I can't load the SW and have to return it.  Or, am I missing something somewhere?

• Re: M1 Software Install
          alanrichey42 Master

The app is actually web-based so you might be lucky.   Here is the download link@  http://download.slingmedia.com/SlingplayerDesktop/Windows/5.0.0.26/SlingplayerDesktop-5.0.0.26.exe

sbianco

Allan,

Thanks great news, almost.  I downloaded the file, run the file, it loaded resources, then it ask to create an account, so create a new account with my email and password, checked the 3 littleboxes to agree to terms and conditions and then after hitting enter an error occured saying "no Internet".

I'm currently (this message) on a Hotspot through my BB moble.  Did the test fail?  Do I already have an account?  was it just dummy stub SW and I can unload?

Steve

alanrichey42 Master

Not sure about this, but I wonder if as your account is empty it is actually looking for an M1 to setup on the same network and not finding anything ?

But at least you have proven it can be installed and it will talk to the Sling servers to create your account.  

sbianco

Ya it's with a try, save my receipt.  I connected to my in office network  used the Log In process vice no account and got a different message "please connect to the Internet"  .   Since I work at a remote location I'll be home the middle of next week.  If this post is still open I'll post the results  Thanks Alan

sbianco

No Luck - I'm returning the M1 today .  The security policy on my work machine is too strict.  SlingBox is a good idea/tool but the SW needs updating.  The days are ending where you run exe files from local machines.  There is too much risk for the user and especially for an enterprise.  Eveerything should be web based.  Slingbox needs to follow the Netflex model!  It's to bad because the customer loses (and I miss the Pats/Bruins play).