38 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2011 10:17 PM by hrrww3 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

SlingBox Classic on Android

Jaypoc

Four years ago, I bought the SlingPlayer Classic and fell in love with a new brand. The SlingPlayer Mobile is the ONLY mobile application I have ever spent money on (I have been using Windows Mobile for 5+ years). I consider it a great buy. I am hopefull that my licence will transfer to the Android version, but I am not against buying it if necessary.

I am upset however that the Android marketplace states that the SlingBox Classic is not supported. Is this so? Does it mean that it will not work, or just that it has not been tweaked for optimal performance (or newer boxes have been tweaked for mobile performance)? I have never had any issues with the SlingBox classic on Windows Mobile and have used it on 3 phones. I didn't switch to Android until recently when I heard that the SlingPlayer Mobile for Android was in development, now I may be S.O.L.

It's only been 4 years since I got the SlingBox and I don't believe that Sling should be cutting off customers who have purchased their original products. II don't replace my TV, stereo or DVD player every 4 years. I shouldn't be forced to replace my SlingBox every 4 years either. Especially when the core functionality is the same (The only feature I need is remote control, and remote viewing of my home TV). I can't justify spending another $150 + $30 just to maintain the same functionality I had 3 weeks ago when on Windows Mobile.

• Re: SlingBox Classic on Android
          torque91

I have the Slingbox AV which is also on the unsupported list.  I am running the Android app and it seems the problem is with the buffering (as in, there is no buffering).  There is a bit of stuttering and hanging.  If I take my internet connection out of the equation by using wi-fi on the phone with the same router as the slingbox, it plays flawlessly. Sling is offering a $50 upgrade rebate for all us old timers but that doesn't bring the price down low enough for me to upgrade.  I am a Dish customer so I would get more bang for my buck by upgrading to the VIP922 receiver.

randomgee

I have a slingbox classic and a slingbox tuner, both not on the supported list.  If both are basically usable, (can watch and change channels) then I would buy this app because it would be cool to have it, otherwise, I don't need to watch TV that badly.

yepitsme

I have a Slingbox Tuner and am able to connect from outside my wireless network via both wifi and 3g with my Motorola Droid.  I needed to enable port forwarding on my router to allow port 5001 to map to my private IP address for my Slingbox tuner.  Once that was done, it works great!

reg

Talk about dissapointing. When I had a blackberry it was the verizon curve which wasn't fully supported, and wasn't too easy to use anyway. I upgraded to the HTC incredible when it came out, and have been patiently waiting for android to be supported. Now, it finally is, but no slingplayer classic? What a kick in the stomach. There is no way I'll be buying a newer player just for the mobile feature. Can't explain how dissapointing it was a few minutes ago when I got on the droid market, found the slingmobile app, and read that classic isn't supported.

oh, and can't we at least get a trial version to see how it works?

torque91

There is a uninstal and refund option after you instal it.

Pcar1947

I agree with Jaypoc as an early adpoter why are we punished. Is the price you pay? I am very happy with my classic which I have had for several years and watch my tv anywhere.

On another note Slingmedia only says they will not support it. But from what I have read it works with the classic.

Paul

eferz Expert

I feel your guys pain, I too had an older Slingboxes.  I moved from the Classic, to the Tuner, to Solo, and now to Pro-HD just to keep up with supported mobile applications.  Unfortuantely, its a technology driven market and what's hot today is probably going to be oudated and obsolete in a few months.  That's just the way of things in a technology based market.

Jaypoc

Eferz,

Having been "Through the ringer" with Sling, perhaps you could shed some light for the rest of us. Aparently, when they say unsupported, they actually mean, "we don't provide end-users with support for it", but it does work to some extent. Can you compare the differences from an end-user's standpoint on the benefits of each unit. Is there a real noticable difference (in quality, speed, streaming, buffering, features, on a mobile phone) between one slingbox to another?

In my situation, the Sling is connected to a TiVo, so I don't need anything other than Streaming Video and remote IR blasting.

eferz Expert

The biggest difference in my option is hardware decoding for the mobile device.  The older Slingboxes could only output a particular stream to the client.  So for example, if you had a phone that didn't have WMV hardware decoding then it had to rely on software decoding.  Depending on the processor of your phone the results varied.  Software encoding also depleated battery life rather quickly.

Apart from that the only difference is functionality.  The Slingbox Classic and Tuner in my case also got dated due to the digital transition act.  The Slingbox Solo accepted 1080i input but its output was limited to 640x480 output.  The Slingbox Pro-HD as far as I know is the best you can get in the market since it able to placeshift HD quality signal and supports common video (WMV and H.264) and audio (AAC, WMV, and PCM) streams and accepts three different inputs (HD,SD, and ANT)

torque91

I had a chance to do some extended viewing during my lunch break.  Apparently, it still buffers properly with the Slingbox AV.  It just takes a minute or so to smooth out.  After that, I was able to watch an entire episode of Bonanza with no problem.  I am happy with the app.  I used quite a bit of battery and could have cooked my lunch with the heat coming off my Incredible though:)

romwarrior

Same result here. I have watched about 30 minutes on an Incredible via a Slingbox AV (only over WiFi so far) with no problems at all. Video is good. Controls are good. I have horrible 3G coverage where I am at right now so I'll have to test via 3G later, but no problems over WiFi. My only concern is an update to the mobile software in the future that changes this, but for now it is good to go.

And there is a trial - all Android apps can be returned (once) within 24 hours of purchase. Maybe they'll figure out how to do a longer trial like the do with WinMo, but at least you get 24 hours to decide. That should be enough for most.

stevie_22

For what it's worth, I am using a Google Nexus One with Android 2.1 connected up to my Slingbox Classic. I have not seen any issues or compatibility problems. It seems to work perfectly on a 3G data connection.

All I have is a slingbox classic, so I can't speak to better features with a newer hardware version, but I thought I would add my 2 cents since a lot of people are worried that this won't work with the Classic model and I have not seen any related issues with my setup.

itstim

I wanted to add my experience here too.  I have a Motorola Droid and a Slingbox AV.  The Slingplayer for Android is working great!  I love this so much better than the Slingplayer for Windows Mobile.

XSlingFan

Just wanted to say thanks to all that have tried the new app against the Classics, Tuners and AV's and reported back.  It is much appreciated. 

JonBlue3

Just wanted to share my experience. I JUST set up my newly purchased Slingbox AV (via ebay @ $55) and all I have  to say is...as far as I can tell, the audio and video is flawless over  3G (Droid Incredible + VZW?!!!

I'm a TOTAL nube with Slingbox and Slingplayer...my total set up time was about 20mins w/o any problems!

As of RIGHT NOW I have NOTHING to complain about...just crossing my  fingers that updates don't cause any adverse effects.

AVE

I also have the first gen slingbox and the nexus one v2.1 (with T-Mobile) but can only connect to my slingbox using wifi. Whenever I switch to 3g, slingbox keep giving the following message: "Connection failed. Please make sure your phone and Slingbox are connected to the internet"

But it will connect everytime with wifi no problem. Any one experience the same issue, please chime in. Thanks.

seancotten

I am in Sweden with a US slingbox.  Sweden doesn't allow purchase apps, but I have a US sim card that allows me to buy apps on wifi so for $29.99 this was an easy decision... BUY and TRY!  I have a slingbox classic bought 4-5 years ago... it's streaming like a charm on wifi and 3g here in Sweden.

I agree that the picture could be better and the aspect ratio improved, but I can tell you that today is like Christmas for me... finally Slinger on my Hero... very happy and just in time for me to tune into the NBA draft tonight! Oh and the app is pretty slick and well though out... I like dividing up the remote (I am running my dad's DirecTV DVR without HD which sits in rural Georgia) into numbers, play functions, select functions and misc... as for favorites, it saves any typed in numbers in a shortcut list on the number pad, but no real favorites function.

mesaka

The app is working quite well for me on both wifi and HSDPA/3G on an HTC desire with a classic slingbox.  My only small gripe is that the sound seems to be mono when I listen with headphones.  I haven't found the controls for the sound in the app to see if I can change it stereo either.  However, its really a great app!

wbrice4

Thanks for all of your posts....I was not sure if my classic slingbox was going to work on my droid incredible but I can confrim that it does work great.  I had a small issue using 3G but I followed someones advice about configuring my router.  Now it works great on 3G and wi-fi.  I am very pleased that I do not need to upgrade my slingbox classic, I have had this thing for over 4 years, since the Motorola Q...my first slingmobile enabled device.

TimMarcum

I haven't been able to figure out how to make the guide work.  Is this because of using the Slingbox Classic or is it due to the lack of a guide on the source?  When I use Slingplayer on several diferent laptops, it asks me for my zip code and cable provider to create a guide.  Is this different from the functionality shown in the screenshots I have seen?

I get around this by running the TV-Guide app before I open Slingplayer Mobile, but I would prefer the functionality within the program.

My other issue is that my son also has a Motorola droid and we both have the Slingplayer Mobile app.  I am going to have to buy another Slingbox just so I get to watch occasionally.

AVE

I also am not able to see the guide in my nexus one. Wonder if it's because of using 1st generation slingbox? Can anyone with 1st generation slingbox see the program guide in their phone? Thanks.

BirdOPrey5

The fact that Sling won't support the original Slingbox on andorid mobile and want $30 for me to test it has ended what used to be 4+ years of me supporting and recommending Slingbox to my friends and everyone I know.

hrrww3

Have any of you users of the old Windows Mobile SlingPlayer been able to get an upgrade/credit towards the Android/iPhone version since they no longer support Windows Mobile?

Thanks
                                                      John