57 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2011 7:47 AM by ragman1171 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Moving from Windows Mobile to Android

yemus

I had sling player on my windows mobile phone and would like to know what's the upgrade path from windows mobile to android. Thank you.

• Re: Moving from Windows Mobile to Android
          pjirele

Great question, I would also like to know since I am now using an Android based phone.

Thank you

Morenicano

Me as well.  I've been holding off yesterday and today for this very reason.

dsardonia

Talked to 2 different reps at Sling, they say that you have to repurchase the app.  Something about the same thing happened when the app came out for the IPhone.  Talk about no customer service!

bennettgiesler

I too had bought the Windows mobile app from the Sling store. Needless to say I am very disappointed the license won't transfer over. Very poor execution on slingmedia's behalf. They should at least offer a version that you could get directly from the slingstore that has a key field or simply tie the key to the logon credentials. To begin with I think its crazy that you have to buy software to use their device in which you paid hundreds of dollars for. I like my slingbox don't get me wrong, but not at the price of another 30 buck. To me that's insulting to have to re buy something!

jtaylor13

It is not about $30.00. It is about honoring what your employees tell your customers.

So we should disreguard this letter also.When do we hold companies to there word?

Dear Sling Media Customer,

Thanks for using SlingPlayer Mobile! We're glad that you've made us a part of your mobile experience.

Just as a reminder, your SlingPlayer Mobile registration key is good for activating one player at a time. As a convenience to you, our one-step registration transfer service automatically deactivates the previous phone when you activate a new one. It's one less thing for you to do! This email confirms that this registration transfer has been completed.

Would you like to learn more about SlingPlayer Mobile? Come on over to our support site. There, you'll find how-to articles, answers to questions, and other info that'll help you get the most out of SlingPlayer Mobile.

Keep on slinging!

Sincerely,
                  The Sling Media Team

eferz Expert

The unfortuante part of continuing business is that it will evolve as your business grows.  Now that the particular software you want is available on a third-party marketplace, you will need to abide by their licensing management.

jtaylor13

So there policy should be ignored? There policy and own tech support statement says.

SEE BELOW.As of this minute there policy has not changed.Call them.So why should i

ignore it.It is there policy.they can change it and post it at anytime they like.until then this is the policy in there own words.

Did you move from microsoft to apple have this policy SEE BELOW.Answer NO. I believe in honoring your word.See the words below.

Only there words matter here.The fact they put it on android market place doesn't change there matter or there policy SEE BELOW.

Dear Sling Media Customer,

Thanks for using SlingPlayer Mobile! We're glad that you've made us a part of your mobile experience.

Just as a reminder, your SlingPlayer Mobile registration key is good for activating one player at a time. As a convenience to you, our one-step registration transfer service automatically deactivates the previous phone when you activate a new one. It's one less thing for you to do! This email confirms that this registration transfer has been completed.

Would you like to learn more about SlingPlayer Mobile? Come on over to our support site. There, you'll find how-to articles, answers to questions, and other info that'll help you get the most out of SlingPlayer Mobile.

Keep on slinging!

Sincerely,
                          The Sling Media Team

eferz Expert

Sorry, JT.

No matter how many times you color, bold, italicize, underline, strikeout the text of that email.  Its not going to supercede the current support policy that is dictated in http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000194.html.  You can complain here all you want to make you feel better, but that's all you'll be doing.

Unless Sling Media decides to put the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod app in their own store, you won't be able to transfer your license.  I know you don't like it, because I didn't like having to do it either and neither did the plethora of other people before us did either.

You have legal options and opportunities to show your disdain that will get your point across better than complaining on a forum.  For example, you could not buy the product, you could write a letter to the people in charge at Sling Media, or ask your lawer about legal recompense.

tameralr

It's true that business changes with time and "lifetime" truly is time limited, which is absolutely understandable.  It's also true the cost of the software is only $30, but I have 4 phones in the family times $30 is $120 plus $300 for a new slingbox, because I'm an early adopter of the technology, and it will cease to function soon.  We aren't looking at just $30 anymore.  I'm not wealthy, my family of 4 has an income of under $25k a year.  I actually have to SAVE to purchase non-essential items, which I will do in this case.

The easy fix, really would be to put Android Slingplayer for sale on the Sling store because Android phones are able to install software from other sources unlike the iDevices.  That makes this a completely different situation, and I would feel better if they would not blame it on "market" and admit it's about making a return on dollars invested.  That is completely justified.  They just refuse to be honest about it.

HERE'S MY SAMPLE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THEM TO WORK FROM (THIS IS NOT FROM SLING, BUT FROM ME, A CUSTOMER, ATTEMPTING TO MOTIVATE SLING):  "We at Sling regret to inform our devoted customers whose loyalty is truly appreciated, but at this time we are unable to post the Android Slingplayer on the SlingMedia Store in an attempt to recoup our investments involved with development. We again thank our loyal customers for their purchases, and look forward to serving you for some time."

eferz Expert

tameralr wrote:

I would feel better if they would not blame it on "market" and admit it's about making a return on dollars invested.  That is completely justified.  They just refuse to be honest about it.

HERE'S MY SAMPLE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THEM TO WORK FROM (THIS IS NOT FROM SLING, BUT FROM ME, A CUSTOMER, ATTEMPTING TO MOTIVATE SLING):  "We at Sling regret to inform our devoted customers whose loyalty is truly appreciated, but at this time we are unable to post the Android Slingplayer on the SlingMedia Store in an attempt to recoup our investments involved with development. We again thank our loyal customers for their purchases, and look forward to serving you for some time."

I totally agree with you, Tameralr.  And you have my sympathy trying to support your family in this ever changing economy.  Although, I have a question for you in regards the Google Marketplace.  I have the Slingplayer Mobile on four of my family member's devices, since we all share an iTunes account for our iDevices.  So, in fact we only had to buy one copy.  Doesn't Google Marketplace have a similar functionality?  Or is it complelely device driven?

tameralr

Doesn't Google Marketplace have a similar functionality?  Or is it complelely device driven?

It isn't the Market that limits use on more than one device.  My son (15yo), unbeknownst to me, got on my cell phone and snagged my license key (I have to sleep some time).  Shortly thereafter I received a wonderful email from Sling.

As posted above: Just as a reminder, your SlingPlayer Mobile registration key is good for activating one player at a time. As a convenience to you, our one-step registration transfer service automatically deactivates the previous phone when you activate a new one. It's one less thing for you to do! This email confirms that this registration transfer has been completed.

I checked my phone and couldn't use my slingplayer it asked me to purchase it.  I promptly went to my sons and asked him if it was them (thinkng someone had hacked my computer), the 15yo said it was him, and I informed him we would have to purchase a separate copy for him, and honestly every chance he got, he would type in the key and transfer to his phone, until I paid for his.  It actually got comical because his 17yo brother (established it could be done when I asked if he had done it) figured he could do it too.  Every time I would go to watch I would have to transfer license back to my phone.  Again, I have to save to make these kinds of purchases, and I couldn't get one for one kid and not the other, so it took me two pay periods (1 month) to get them both licenses.  In the mean time Sling sent a "nastygram" and rightly so, pointing out they could revoke my existing license.  Kids today think they're entitled to everything and mine are no exception.  I tried explaining it was theft and they SAID they understood, but they persisted regardless.

eferz Expert

Okay, that's both comical (your children) and lame (Google / Sling Media).

I think if Sling Media has the ability to disable your Google purchase, then they should in fact allow the transfer from their marketplace to Google Marketplace.  Unless of course that's facilitated by Google's licensing managment and they're just providing an address to send the canned response.  Although that would allued that Sling Media has more control over their licensing in Google's Marketplace than either Microsoft or Apple's Marketplace (which apprently, supports up to five devices at any one time).

So, I guess that I may hold off on my transition to Google at this time.  Maybe I'll wait till  Froyo is offically adopted across all Andriod devices.

jtaylor13

Well if there policy given to us is not valid then i HOPE someone takes the app out of there phone and start posting it around the net.How much money will they make then.We can only hope.In the end this will cost them more money then they make.

I'm just gonna sit and watch the net and see how big the backlash gets.

jtaylor13

Hey read this. go to there site.

Here is a funny part.
                                    Your SlingPlayer Mobile registration key is only good on one device at a time. But you can transfer your original registration key and email address combination to your new device, as long as SlingPlayer Mobile is available for that device in the Sling Media store.
                                    So my new phone is evo and they have a android client so i should not be billed.
                                        eferz Expert

JT, you truly are cute.  I understand taking things out of context is how most people misunderstand things.  But, purposely taking bits and pieces of the policy to support your own ideals is delusional.  Remember the heading of that snippit is "If you bought SlingPlayer Mobile from the Sling Media Store:"

1. To transfer registration keys to/from devices supported by the Sling Media Store, you must have purchased SlingPlayer Mobile from the Sling Media Store.
                                        2. If you purchased SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Phone from the Windows Marketplace for Mobile, you can only transfer the registration to other Windows Phone devices via the Windows Marketplace for Mobile (via your PC or directly to your phone).
                                        3. If you purchased SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, you can only use iTunes to transfer the registration to other iTunes-supported devices.

I guess you can keep trying to connect to the Sling Media Store at "http://mobile.slingmedia.com" on your Andriod's Web Browser until you can use your reg key for on trial version of the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod. (Which isn't actually there, because it currently only exists in Google's Marketplace).  But, good luck with that!

tameralr

...as long as SlingPlayer Mobile is available for that device in the Sling Media store.

That is the catch. Android version is not yet available through Sling store, only Android market.

At this point we can only hope that they will post it to the SlingMedia Store.  Maybe if we are respectful, encouraging, and legal in our dealing with the issue, it will help them to more quickly come to the conclusion that they should post to their own store.  Having said that it may already be in the works, we just don't know.

tedkord Newbie

Well, if I am forced to pay $30 for a new license for an Android phone, I will damned sure be giving my WM license to someone for free, thus depriving Sling of that $30 sale, making it a wash for them.  If they think this is a way to make more money, by screwing current customers, then I will most certainly screw right back.

Apprentice

Hi, yemus and all.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

This link will provide you with all the options about how to transfer the Registration Key among all the supported Mobile devices. Just keep in mind that the iPhone and the Android Mobile devices have their own store.

Make sure to check this link in order to get all the information about the supported Android Mobile devices.

Finally, keep in mind that the Android Market allows you to ask for a refund within the first 24 hours of downloading, if they are not fully satisfied.

Regards,
                                            The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team.

jtaylor13

Not to be rude.But what was that link suppose to do? It sure didn't help us that have paid for the key for our sling mobile.The link was about which phones work.You guys completely  missed the issue. To me it was a half attempt to get buyers.I think i will just wait and see what the android users decide to do. I spend my little $30.00 else were for the moment.How many of you reading and have bought a licence will buy ANOTHER ONE? Let your voice be heard.

tedkord Newbie

Also, not to be rude, but that's just unacceptable and poor customer service. I already HAVE an SPM license. I've paid for the privelege of streaming my ProHD to my smartphone. And, when I originally bought SPM, I was told it could be moved to any other supported device - in fact, the ease with which it could be switched was a selling point.

As I stated earlier, if I have to pay for it again, I will. But, I will give away my WinMo license to someone else for free, and you will lose that sale.

jtaylor13

You can keep saying it is now sold tru android market but it doesn't change slings policy i posted many times.It being sold tru android is a way around there own policy then shame on them.That is why they hide behind the policy now.As i sad i will keep my money.What is the old saying many ways to get to the end of the road.

eferz Expert

But the policy you keep on posting doesn't reflect the current policy in place. 

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000194.html

Did you replace your handheld and get a new one? Want to know if you  can transfer your registration?

SlingPlayer Mobile is available from different sources. Transferring  your SlingPlayer Mobile registration depends on where you bought it.

Here's how:

If you bought SlingPlayer Mobile from:

You can transfer the registration:

Affected Versions of SlingPlayer Mobile

The Sling Media Store

To/from devices supported by the Sling Media Store

SlingPlayer Mobile for Blackberry
                                                      SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows  Phone
                                                      SlingPlayer Mobile for Symbian
                                                      SlingPlayer Mobile for Palm

The Apple iTunes Store

To/from Apple iPhone and iPod touch devices, up to five at one time

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone and iPod touch

The Android Market

To/from Android phones

SlingPlayer Mobile for Android

The Windows Marketplace for Mobile

To/from Windows Mobile or Windows Phone devices, up to five at one  time

SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Phone (Touch Screen only)

But note:

1. To transfer registration keys to/from devices supported by the Sling  Media Store, you must have purchased SlingPlayer Mobile from the  Sling Media Store.
                                                      2. If you purchased SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Phone from the  Windows Marketplace for Mobile, you can only transfer the registration  to other Windows Phone devices via the Windows Marketplace for Mobile  (via your PC or directly to your phone).
                                                      3. If you purchased SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, you can only use  iTunes to transfer the registration to other iTunes-supported devices.

If you bought SlingPlayer Mobile from the Sling Media Store:

Your SlingPlayer Mobile registration key is only good on one device  at a time. But you can transfer your original registration key and email  address combination to your new device, as long as SlingPlayer Mobile  is available for that device in the Sling Media store.

To do that, go to the Sling Media Online Store (there's a link to the  right). Download a "trial" version of the software that you need. Then  register your new device using your old key. When you do that, your old  device is un-registered automatically, and you are sent an email  verifying this change.

If you bought SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone/iPod touch:

The iTunes App Store allows you to purchase the application and then  use it on up to five devices. To use SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone to  another iPhone or iPod touch, sync the new device in iTunes. Or,  directly on your phone, you can go to iTunes, log into your account, and  "re-purchase" SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone. iTunes should download and  install the software onto your phone.

If you bought SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows phone from the  Windows Marketplace for Mobile:

Windows Marketplace for Mobile allows you to purchase the application  and then use it on up to five devices. To use SlingPlayer Mobile for  Windows Phone on another Windows Phone device, use the new phone to go  to the Windows Marketplace for Mobile, log in using your credentials,  and then search for SlingPlayer. It should be listed as  Purchased. Tap to install it. Important: Contact Windows Marketplace for Mobile customer service for any  questions or problems with purchases made there. Sling Media can't help  with purchases that weren't made at the Sling Media Online Store.

Lost your old Key?

Don't remember what your old registration key was? It was included in  your original email receipt for your SlingPlayer Mobile purchase. If  you can't find that email, see the related article below for information  on how to find it.

jtaylor13

only because they are not selling it on there site.

eferz Expert

Which is my point exactly.

Personally, I think they should have it on their site since Google Marketplace doesn't serve all the countries.

• Argentina
                                                              • Belgium
                                                              • Brazil
                                                              • Bulgaria
                                                              • Croatia
                                                              • Czech  Republic
                                                              • Denmark
                                                              • Estonia
                                                              • Finland
                                                              • Greece
                                                              • Hong  Kong
                                                              • Ireland
                                                              • Israel
                                                              • Japan
                                                              • Kazakhstan
                                                              • Latvia
                                                              • Lithuania
                                                              • Luxembourg
                                                              • Mexico
                                                              • Norway
                                                              • Philippines
                                                              • Poland
                                                              • Portugal
                                                              • Romania
                                                              • Russia
                                                              • Serbia
                                                              • Singapore
                                                              • Slovakia
                                                              • Slovenia
                                                              • South  Africa
                                                              • South Korea
                                                              • Sweden
                                                              • Taiwan
                                                              • Thailand

These are the countries that cannot buy the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod because of the filters applied in Google Marketplace.  They should offter the software through the Sling Mobile Store (http://mobile.sling.com) in order give access to these countries.  Similarly to Game Loft did because of Google's Marketplace inability to penetrate the global market.

At this point the only reason not to sell the Andriod app from within their own store is to prevent license transfers.  Of course, I understand they needed to do this to recooperate from the investment in development.  But, they shouldn't patronize their customer base by claiming its because its only available in Goolge Marketplace.

slingfreak

If you bought SlingPlayer Mobile from:

You can transfer the registration:

Affected Versions of SlingPlayer Mobile

The Sling Media Store

To/from devices supported by the Sling Media Store

So I originally purchased my license from the Sling Store (Windows Mobile Market Place did not exist in 2007).  According to this post I should also be able to transfer to Android.

bennettgiesler

The current policy is besides the point. Period. They can put all the policies they want in place now, but it does not change the fact that I bought the license originally under the understanding the license would be transferable between devices. It was a selling point and a value added service in which I paid for with my original license. Honestly, I think I have a better chance of getting a refund for the original purchase than getting them to let me upgrade to the android version. I am going to send a slingmedia a letter to see how they respond and take it from there. I am not doing this because of the 30 bucks, I am doing this for the principal of the matter.

stung1

So not only can't you transfer your registration from a WinMo phone to an Android phone (since this app isn't available in the Sling Store) but the app, in comparison, is horribly deficient compared to the WinMo app.  I find it awfully interesting that the features and menus are completely different and, frankly, suck.  I have to assume that we'll all be sitting around waiting for updates because, sure, it does the job of being able to watch your TV, but the controls are terribly non-intuitive and don't compare to the last Slingplayer Mobile update for WinMo.  It feels like they rushed it to market for the $ but forgot to make it user friendly.  Just my 2 cents.

jander6442

Whilst I for one agree with this post ^... I for one also would pay 30.00 US no problem for the Android app.< shaking head>.  I do not however enjoy the  xtra 10.00 US fee that Sprint has nailed us for when it comes to the OWNERSHIP of said EVO. That my friends is pure BS. ^..^

airdog

The bottom line is that if you already bought and payed for a license key for SlingPlayer Mobile on anything other than an Android phone, Sling Media is basically saying "Screw You".

You paid for a license key and now you have to buy another one because you changed from a Windows Mobile phone (or other OS) to a new Android based phone.... Give me a break.

Someone says SlingMedia is doing it this way to recoup the cost of developing the software.... Are you kidding me?

There are over 100,000+ Android devices/phones activated everyday. Plenty of new customers for SlingPlayer Mobile. Why screw your exsisting customers???

How hard can it be for SlingMedia to offer the SlingPlayer Mobile software on the SlingBox website?

Its really not about the $30 to buy SlingPlayer Mobile (again) its more about the principal of the whole thing. SlingMedia, you need to take care of your existing customers. Customer care leads to more customers in the future.

I used to love to show people how I could watch TV on my phone and I probably helped sell more than a few SlingBox's by advertising for you guys.

Until SlingMedia shows existing customers some respect, my SlingBox Pro HD will just have to sit and gather dust.

eferz Expert

airdog wrote:

(this message will probably mysteriously disappear like the last one)

Yeah, the moderators are pretty totalitarian about posts like that.

airdog

Unfortunately I'm just speaking what I feel from what I have observed over the way this whole situation has been handled by SlingMedia.

I'm really not a malicious person and I realize I probably sound a little like a **** but the reality is I just hate being screwed as well as seeing others getting hosed by a bogus software licensing policy.

eferz Expert

I also think by not having the application available in the Sling Mobile Store that they have ostracized people whom aren't in a country where paid applications aren't available.  This also includes Japan and New Zealand which can purchased paid applications.  However, for some reason is excluded from being able to purchase it from the Andriod Market.

lgkahn

why is sling player no longer avail. in the android market place.. i paid for it and can no longer downlad it.

eferz Expert

It's still there, you might be having an issue with Google's filters.

There's actually a couple reasons  why the Slingplayer Mobile (SPM) for Android isn't showing up in the  Google Andriod Market Place.  This is because SPM is marked as a paid,  copy-protected application.  Google uses filters in the Android Mariet  to manage access based on sanctioned country, rom, and phone  combinations.

As  the link in your message shown, only a small subset of countries have  the ability to buy Andriod applications.  Despite that list, New Zealand  and Japan aren't able to purchase the application either.  The country  is determined by the SIM in your mobile device not by physical  location.  So, you could get around Google's filter by using a pre-paid  SIM from one of the supported country.

The other filter is due to the  application being copy protected.  Google will govern your access based  on the "/system/build.prop" file.  If it is sanctioned, then Google will  have its fingerprint saved it in their database.  This can prevent  certain phone/ROM combination and rooted access from seeing any  copy-protected applications within the Andriod Market.

The  following link best describes the issue and possible workarounds (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-spica/98024-protected-app-market-fix-tutorial-build-prop.html).

cg1492

Untill sling is willing to buy back old keys or I can sell my origianl good on 4 os's key I will not buy the android version.  Hey blackberry has its own market place why do they get to be exempt?  Is it that androis and iphone are way outselling the bb's?  Instead of recharging your old customers you should concentrate on the new ones.

J4yDubs

Has any progress been made on this issue?  When I purchased my Mobile client, there were no exclusions or mention of being able to transfer to only devices purchased from thier store.  In fact, it specifically says ANY version in my e-mail.  Here's the email (it's a little different than posted above).

-----

Your SlingPlayer Mobile registration key is only good for use with one device. If you have multiple devices, you must purchase a key for each one.

If you've upgraded or changed your device, you can use your original registration key and email address combination. It doesn't matter if you've moved from a Pocket PC device to a Smartphone or if you've moved from a Palm OS device to a Pocket PC. The same key works on all versions of SlingPlayer Mobile.

Kind Regards,
                                                                                Sling Media Support Team

-----

[I added the bolding]

I will not be purchasing the mobile client again for Android.  If I don't see a resolution on this soon, I'll be selling the Slingbox as it will be of very little use to me.

John