10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2010 2:26 PM by crowly100 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Free Upgrade from Palm 700p to EVO Android?

12smile

Palm 700p died last week had to get the EVO...I was going to WAIT TILL SLINGPLAYER FOR ANDROID WAS RELEASED TO BUY THE EVO BUT FATE FORCE MY HAND.

Slingbox is actually my  most important app on the phone....I've already paid $30 for the Palm app...what's the upgrade path to Android version.

Thanks

• Re: Free Upgrade from Palm 700p to EVO Android?
          brad49201

I'm not in the same position but I would also like to know if you can "transfer" the player. I want to upgrade to an EVO, from my Hero, come October.

Apprentice

Hi, 12smile and brad49201.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

It is not possible to transfer the Registration Key from any Windows Mobile to the iPhone or the Android Mobile devices, since the application for these devices is available at their own store. 

This link will provide you with all the information about the options to transfer the Registration Key among the supported Mobile devices.

Regards,
            The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team.

madfelon

Reply from the email I got from Sling.

Tom,

I apologize that you  are frustrated.  But believe me we are as well!  Systematically with these new App stores we don’t have a way to transfer licenses or process refunds.  These are now all controlled  by store owners Apple & Google respectively.  I  am really sorry because I completely understand the feeling of being nickel and dimed, but the  control is out of our hands.

I hope you can  understand.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

eferz Expert

Tom, what they've written to you in that email is true.  And its true for Apple, Microsoft, and Google's own marketplace.

However, they haven't addressed why they don't host the application sale on their own mobile store.  If they did, then they will have to honor licesnse transfers.

crowly100

What else their not saying is they could have released a trial app for free that would work for a week or a month.  Then people with previously purchased access numbers could have made the app full functioning.  Their excuse doesn't hold water.  Sling is a hardware manufacturer not a software producer.  We don't pay for the desktop app nor should we.  I sucked it up and purchased the mobile app now to be told I have to purchase it again?

eferz Expert

You can only trial the software through the Sling Mobile Store.  You can't trial it through Windows Marketplace for Mobile.

If you buy it through Sling Mobile Store, you had the option to trade licesnse freely within their store's eco system.  However, you won't be able to have it on five seperate machines as you can if you bought it through Windows Marketplace for Mobile.

Its true that each marketplace has its own license management.  But, like I said before there's no reason not to make the application also available from their own store other than avoid license transfers.