14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2014 5:50 PM by gawarner RSS

Slingplayer: Chromecast

jimnj72

Posted on the Chromecast topic as well.  I was wondering if it is just my setup or others are also having problems when sending video to Chromecast from the Slingplayer on Android.  It sends it and plays it fine but is in not in widescreen on my TV.  It displays it in 4:3 mode instead of widescreen.  I have tried from an old Galaxy Nexus and my current Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with the same results.  I have rebooted the Chromecasts and the Slingbox M1 I just installed yesterday as well as both phones.  If any others are able to cast successfully I'd love to hear that as well to know if it is somehow related to my setup. 

If I am missing an option to change the aspect ratio please let me know.  I have no problem chaning aspect ratio in the Sling Player App, that all works great.

• Re: Slingplayer: Chromecast
          tjmakar

I've been having the same issue on Nexus 5 and iPad 2. I even tried changing the resolution through the remote and all it did was crash the Chromecast.

lpaspalis

Having the same issue using the galaxy S5 and M1, the casted slingbox app loads in fullscreen because I can see the build number in the bottom left corner of the tv, but when the video starts playing it leaves a thick black border all around it. I can get by this by using the zoom function on the tv but still very annoying.

Edit: The casted video is however the correct 16:9 aspect ratio for me.

gawarner

Same issue here -- and it is infuriating!   Video is 4:3 and "squished", and there does not appear to be any way to change the aspect as there is in all other sling devices, including WD Live.    Let's hope the fine folks at Slingmedia can fix this.

jimnj72

I called support today.  They were able to reproduce the issue by connecting to my slingbox and casting to a Chromecast in their office.  They have escalated the issue.  If I hear anything back from them I will post it back here.

gawarner

Thank you.   I have anxiously looked forward to Slingbox via

chromecast...and was disheartened to see that the product is less than

stellar. I have seen Slingbox on the WD live and the Roku , and it isfar

more functional.I look forward to hearing from you!

lolcatz Newbie

Did you check the settings on your cable box?.

I had a similar issue with mine, and i found and sd override option that i had to turn off... Now everthing is working fine, no more squished/weird 4:3 aspect ratio.

jimnj72

Thank you for the suggestion.  I currently have no problems viewing HD in the Slingplayer App or on the Windows Deskop app.  The only issue is with my Chromecast.  It is using the same source as the other two apps.  It looks like its pushing out HD video that is just being compressed to 4:3.  Were you having problems in the Slingplayer and Chromecast or just one or the other?  My Directv box is outputing only HD channels, I have the SD Channels hidden.

gawarner

I have a DIRECTV dvr.   Hmm.... Tell me more about this SD override .

Ultimately, are you putting it in HD mode ?

lolcatz Newbie

I have a motorola box,

And I had the same issue when changing from an HD<--->SD channel. The video was being compressed to a 4:3 aspect ratio no matter if the channel was SD or HD, both looked weird. I had to press "channel up" and then "channel down" (to go back to my desired channel), this would solve the problem with the aspect ratio. I think some sort of "adjustment" happended behind the scenes when simply changing the channel.

But this SD override option seems to force the box to output a 1080p signal no matter if the channel is 1080i, 480p... apparently this makes things easy for the slingbox since it no longer messes up with the aspect ratio of my signal. I haven't had any issues since this option was turned off. I will continue to use the chromecast slingplayer and let you know if have any issues.

img.jpg

jimnj72

You are absolutely correct here.  I was able to shut off the 480p and 480i options on my Directv DVR.  After I did that I rebooted and it still went to 480p.  By switching it manually to 720p, 1080i or 1080p on the front panel it fixed the Chromcast issue.  Its possible the Directv box is not correctly outputing either.  Thanks very much!

gawarner

Ok.  I seem to have SOLVED the 4:3/squished issue with my directv

dvr/slingbox500/chromecast trio.

On the front of the dvr, there is a button -- RES.  Press it until 1080i is

selected.  That seems to fix the problem.  My chromecasted sling is now

16:9!

Also, in MENU/SETTINGS/VIDEO, I turned Native OFF, and set Screen Format to

ORIGINAL FORMAT.  However, I don't know if these changes contributed to my

success.

Let me know if this works for you directv customers who are having the

issue!!!

lolcatz Newbie

I'm glad it worked out for you guys.

mathiasdk1

Unfortunately I can't get it to work. My box is set to 720p 16:9 output. I've tried both 720p, 1080i and 1080p, combined with 16:9, 16:9 letterbox and 16:9 (? danish word I can not translate)

None of it worked.

unfortunately I am +200 miles away from my Slingbox the next month, so I can not see if there's any physical buttons on my dvr to push :/