3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2014 2:05 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

will 350 work on a non hd tv

coastbuster

I want to purchase a 350 and hook up to my router on long island. Then watch tv at a hunting cabin upstate ny. Have a non hd tv upstate. #1 will it work and #2 what remote box do I need for upstate?

• Re: will 350 work on a non hd tv
          alanrichey42 Master

You misunderstand how the Slingbox works.   It will take the TV signal from your Long Island Cable/Satellite box and 'sling' it onto the Internet.    You can then view it anywhere in the world, (including Upstate NY) but ONLY on a PC or a Mobile device.   You do not need anything else at your lodge.   However, if you wish to view it on a TV you will need another third-party box (Apple TV, EDTV, Roku...)

coastbuster

I understand how it works. What box upstate do I need to convert the internet signal from my slingbox to the remote tv. I have no desire to watch it on a computer or smartphone.  I was told to use a sony internet player. but all I see are HDMI ports. the cabin has a standard analog tv.  Would it possibly work with chromecast? or some analog box

alanrichey42 Master

The analog part of the TV is not relevant, that applies only to the OTA TV signal you get from the coax cable.   You are looking for a device that will take an Internet stream and output either a composite or component output suitable to plug into an input on the back of your TV.   Obviously I don't know, but if it old I would think it probably still has a composite (Yellow/Red/White) input ?

As to what box to get, I can't really help as I use a Slingcatcher, which has a composite output, but that has been discontinued, although you might pick one up on E-Bay.  A few Google searches show that the Roku and Apple TV only have an HDMI port but the WD TV box looks as though it has a composite output.