4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2014 11:03 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

And Slingbox 500 use component in to produce HDMI out

ElGringoGeek

When setting up Slinbox 500, there is information on HDCP (Digital Copyright Protection) suggests a solution is to connect the source device to the slingbox via component (RGB+Audio) cables in addition to HDMI.  So now, I'd have two inputs to the Slingbox, both from the same source (in my case an Xfinity X1 slave box).   The Slingbox will supposedly use the component input if HDCP gets in the way (although it is not cleear from the Slingbox 500 setup video if this is automatic, or if I need to intervene to select the Component versus the HDMI input).  Since all the content is available on the component cable side, and the resolution is comparable to 1080p, why bother with HDMI in to the Slingbox unless that is all that is provided by the input device?

One hitch in that get-along ... when I provide Component video input, I can watch on the SLingplayer app, but not by connecting the Slingbox HDMI out  to my TV (which I'd think would still be getting produced by the box from the configured input).  Am I doing something wrong?  Is an HDMI input required to get an HDMI output?  If that's the case,  I suppose the problem could be worse ... I was and am loking for ways to lower the cable footprint of all the devices in my A/V stack.  Having duplicate connections both of which use fairly hefty cables is wasteful, and especially so when there are multiple input device/Slingbox installations in place in close quarters (with some containerization to prevent IR splatter between the installed pairs of devices).

So the short question is ... if I am supplying component cable input (video and audio) to the Slingbox 500, but no HDMI in, should there be an HDMI out signal produced, and what do I do if that output is not being produced?

Thanks, in advance, for help with this.

• Re: And Slingbox 500 use component in to produce HDMI out
          alanrichey42 Master
          So the short question is ... if I am supplying component cable input (video and audio) to the Slingbox 500, but no HDMI in, should there be an HDMI out signal produced, and what do I do if that output is not being produced?

No.  All the IN & OUT connections on the back are simply pass-through plugs, with the caveat that the 500 borrows the the HDMI output to display it's menu screen.  

ElGringoGeek

Thank you, I was afraid that was going to be the response, and in a follow-on experiment to asking the question, I think I discovered  that without the HDMI in, I don't get HDMI out.

BUT HERE's SOMETHING BIZARRE IF THE IN-TO-OUT IS TRULY A PASSTHRU ...

My Input device is an Xfinity X1 slave box (a Cisco RNG150 cable receiver that uses the DVR in another Cisco receiver of slightly different model number).  Each receiver (DVR or slave) can independently tune to a station on the cable and display its output via HDMI (and in the case of the slave boxes, also component video/audio).  When I connect the X1 box directly to a TV HDMI input and use its remote to display the channel guide, I get the guide displayed on the TV (no surprise here...)  When I take the HDMI out of the X1 box into the HDMI in of the Slingbox 500, and the HDMI out of the Slingbox 5500 to the TV's HDMI input (that is, put the Slingbox 500 back instream), and use the X1 receiver's remote to display the channel guide, it doesn't work.

There are two possibilities I can think of.  One is that the HDMI in to HDMI out is not an absolute passthru and is scrapping the guide off the screen (and I doubt that's the case, because ...) the second is that the remote control capability of the Xfinity X1 box is somehow completely disabled by some sort of neutral IR flood from the Slingbox IR emitter (but only when the Slingbox 500's input is configured for HDMI and 'knows' the kind of cable box being employed).  Before you dismiss the later as a possibility, consider this ... every button on the X1 box remote is disfunctional EXCEPT the POWER ON/OFF and VOLUME UP/DOWN buttons (the aforementioned being those that are programmed to emit IR control to the TV).

I can't figure out how ro get control of the X! slave to tune the channel of choice.  Any other ideas?

Joe

alanrichey42 Master
                  There are two possibilities I can think of.  One is that the HDMI in to HDMI out is not an absolute passthru and is scrapping the guide off the screen (and I doubt that's the case, because ...) the second is that the remote control capability of the Xfinity X1 box is somehow completely disabled by some sort of neutral IR flood from the Slingbox IR emitter

I think you are wrong on both counts.  I suspect it is related to HDCP and because the Slingbox does not provide the correct hand shaking signals the your X1 goes into a sulk.   That is why Sling always recommend using the component cables.

and in a follow-on experiment to asking the question, I think I discovered  that without the HDMI in, I don't get HDMI out.

Not true.  I have run my 500 with nothing plugged in the HDMI IN port and get all the right Sling Menus on the screen,   Obviously when I tap the pass through button there is nothing there.  But in your case I suspect the reason you don't see anything is as above.

I can't figure out how ro get control of the X! slave to tune the channel of choice.  Any other ideas?

Not personally, but I know there are lots of users on this forum happily using a Comcast X1 as there was/is a problem with the remote when it comes to inputting channels.   But they are not going to read this thread with a subject line like that, so I would suggest you start a new thread with a more accurate subject line that actually refers to the X1. 

But first do a forum search for Comcast X1 in case the answer has already been given.