6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2010 10:41 AM by eferz RSS

TV vs Cabl Box Connection

Kearney_Slingbox

My Slingbox AV works fine connected to the cable box but will not get a signal when the cable goes directly through the TV.  Is there a way to connect up my slingbox to my cable ready TV?

• Re: TV vs Cabl Box Connection
          eferz Expert

You can use the pass through outputs to the TV.

Kearney_Slingbox

What do you mean by pass through.  I plug it in to the s-video and the white and red.  The slingbox says that it is either no or weak signal.

eferz Expert

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/IO/1013/AV-back_done.jpg

I apologize, I forgot that the Slingbox AV did not have bypass outputs like the newer Slingboxes.

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/IO/1013/SOLO_back_done.jpg

eferz Expert

Here is the Slingbox AV setup tutorial (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000215.html)

Kearney_Slingbox

Okay, my objective is to eliminate the cable box from my setup and go straight from the TV to the slingbox.  Does this mean that I cannot do that?  The compter indicates that there is "no or weak" signal with I am coming off the TV but works fine with the cable box.  How can it be that there is too weak a signal through the TV?  Do I not have it properly connected.

Sorry to bother you.

Larry

eferz Expert

No, bother I'm glad to help or at least try.  But. I'm a little confused about your setup.  So, you'll need to elaborate a little more about what you have and how they're connected if I have the following incorrect.

At this point, because you opened this topic in the Slingbox AV section.  I can only assume that you have a Slingbox AV.  This leads me to believe that you have attempted to connect the cable from your wall into your television's coax or attena input.  Now, at that point, I'm guessing you are able to watch television.  However, you also want to use the Slingbox to rebroadcast whatever is showing on the TV onto your network.  I am assuming that you've connected the composite video and audio (yellow, red, and white) outputs from the television to the corresponding inputs on the Slingbox AV.  Except that when you try to watch the Slingbox with the Slingplayer that you are receiving a message diplaying "Weak or no video signal detected".

Chances are the Slingbox is not getting any singal, otherwise it  wouldn't be displaying that message.  Some television can't support that setup because their ouputs are just pass through  connectors.  Pass through connectors will only pass the video output  from the respective video inputs.  So, if you have nothing connected  into the video input then nothing can be passed through.

To test it whether or not your television can support video output from the TV tuner, you'll need a second television or VCR to see what's coming out of it.  A diffrent way to test if the outputs are just a pass throughs is by connecting something into the respective television input to see if you then get a picture from your Slingbox.