15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2014 11:00 AM by rosshsb RSS

WDTV Live, gone bad - by design

rosshsb

On Friday Sep 12, The stream got bad - at all resolutions .  It jitters a lot, at random times.  If you watch the buffer size, about half the time it stays at 0, and drops frames instead of buffering.   Why the change in the latest Slingbox flash update??  Its clearly a new code bug in the Slingbox 500 code.  But if I plug in the laptop, works just fine.

I realize that WDTV is not supported anymore, but really - [Edited by Sling Moderator to adhere to Forum House Rules]

• Re: WDTV Live, gone bad - by design
          osaka_gaijin

I was still holding out that something would be done to fix the problem, but now you are saying their delibertly gone and sabotaged the WD TV Live with another firmware update? This is like a bad nightmare.  The WD was the only viable Sling to TV option out there (Roku and Apple TV live use streaming via other devices so that isn't what I wanted; just wanted sling app on media device connected to my TV and for it to work). Guess the 'evil empire' wins this time. Boo. WD anything is off my list of must have products for good. Maybe if enough people boycott them (not likely I know) they'll learn from this absolutely brutal lack of support decision). I'm rambling. So frustrated I could Protest on the street

rosshsb

I think the word sabotaged is too strong a word.    I would say ignored the needs of the wdtv device in new flash code versions they have created and installed into the slingbox.  ie. not checked or tested.

I can see what they have done.   In LAN (local) mode it had a 0 sized allocated buffer.  Which meant the sling box would burst out what ever it had, and the LAN device would consume it.  Worked OK on a LAN.

In remote mode (Internet) the sling box alocates 3 second buffer.  Works good too like this, even across a LAN at full output speed.

But the recent change was to adjust LAN mode to a 1 second buffer, and its not big enough to hold the data at full output speed on a LAN.  Even dropping the resolution down to 480, still has it loosing sync and droping frames.

I have found a work around method that avoids the issue, but is tricky to implement.  You need to trick the sling box and WDTV it being on different subnets, and therefore the session start up test will assume a remote state (internet connection) and assign the 3 second buffer.  The actual traffic will flow across the LAN only between the two subnets, up to the back of the router, using its public IP as the meet point.

ACC4946553

I have had the same problem since the latest Slingbox 500 firmware update and your post has helped me a great deal.  I have a second router (non-wireless) with a different IP address range, 192.168.15.--- that I plugged into my main wireless router with an IP address range of 192.168.1.---.  My Slingbox is connected to the main router and my two WD TV Lives are connected to the second router.  Everything is now running smoothly.  Thank you for your post.

rosshsb

Yeah, good to hear.    I've been doing similar for a week now.  In my case, I have two public IP's on this home net.  So I force the slingbox to use one IP and the player to use the other.  At sling HQ central, when the player tries to connect to the sling box, they are on different IP's, and it all thinks its connecting across the wider internet.  But in reality, they meet within my own router.  As a result I get the devices buffering for slow internet, but the LAN speeds and HD picture between them.  Anyway that helps.

Its not 100% fixed, but at least when it does stumble, it recovers usually.    I still get some voice out of sync issues from time to time.

I notice its all rather dependent on the actual HD channel I'm viewing.   Example: History Channel is really bad even with this latest trick, HBO about middle, and fox sports almost perfect.   My guess is the underlying compression in the picture from the sat box is affecting this.  The sports channel used to have the highest (uncompressed) bit rate, and that actually looks near perfect still with this new firmware.  i.e. Sling gets to do its own compression.  While the HBO / History are very much compressed coming out of the sat box (low bit rate).  Perhaps the sling box is not happy trying to compress an already compressed input?  i.e. like trying to double zip a zip file - doesn't get smaller.

You will notice also that Sling has changed its compression method with this new software in mid September. Now its doing the TV style pixelation when it gets too busy.

If nothing gets fixed in a week or two, I will change to home theater PC setup and HDMI output.  Its more messy, but the focus of Sling is clearly on the PC program player line, and not the LAN box type.

Its a real shame though.  I don't want or need this "new" M1 capable firmware in my sling player.  The old version firmware from last month worked just perfectly.  I wish I could have it back.  The current offering is like they vandalized my sling box and left me with broken junk.

Rossh

rosshsb

>> [Edited by Sling Moderator to adhere to Forum House Rules]

Mr. Sling moderator - I trust you passed the fault along to the programmers, so they can repair the issue?

osaka_gaijin

Wouldn't hold your breath on that one....

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:59:42 -0700

To: dpecommerce@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - WDTV Live, gone bad - by design

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from rosshsb in SlingPlayer for WD TV Media Players - View the full discussion

>>

Mr. Sling moderator - I trust you passed the fault along to the programmers, so they can repair the issue?

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in SlingPlayer for WD TV Media Players at Slingbox Answers Forum

Maxcats Novice

Only for the second time in 18 months, my WDTV is now showing the 10003 error.

It won't connect showing the Time Out error message with my Pro-HD.

As a result I have pulled the pin on purchasing a Slingbox 350 to use for a friends's sports viewing in his Den.

I can't take the risk of recommending Slingbox as the way to watch rugby easily from Sky and then have the 10003 error show when the game starts.

Nothing has changed in my own network or setup.

osaka_gaijin

It's simple brutal support by both Slingbox and WD. Shameful actually. I was a loyal customer of both until my Slingbox capacitor bulged after 12 months of use and I didn't get any support help. Now this (after I went to the other country, replaced the faulty capacitors myself, basically getting it working again)...only to have a firmware update by WD bring it back to not working again (Code 27 network error).  There are enough people screaming in the support groups for either company to fix this with another firmware update, but nooooo....

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 13:37:43 -0700: answers@slingmedia.com

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from Maxcats in SlingPlayer for WD TV Media Players - View the full discussion

Only for the second time in 18 months, my WDTV is now showing the 10003 error.

It won't connect showing the Time Out error message.

As a result I have pulled the pin on purchasing another Slingbox 350 to use for a friends's sports viewing in his Den.

I can't take the risk of recommending Slingbox as the way to watch rugby easily from Sky and then have the 10003 error show when the game starts.

Nothing has changed in my own network or setup.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in SlingPlayer for WD TV Media Players at Slingbox Answers Forum

Maxcats Novice

An unrelated but another long term issue is the 'ringing' or 'echo' on the Pro-HD.

It's been reported here for years and still remains unfixed today.

I'd love to advocate for Slingbox, but there are too many issues and too many unresolved support queries.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Really poor.

The coordination between WD and Sling seems nonexistent.

I remember ages ago when I was trying to get an issue resolved and I opened a ticket with WD and they really didn't have a clue about the Slingplayer.

Sling were happy enough to tout the WDTV as a connected device option, and WD happy enough to tout Sling as a feature of their streamer but there has been almost no effort made to improve the player or fix bugs and now you can see Sling are trying to get out of supporting it asap as can be seen by them blocking the M1 from working with it so they can phase it out.

Clearly existing users of WDTV Slingplayer are bottom of the list of priorities now that Sling/WD have their £££.

Maxcats Novice

The issue here for me is that BOTH the Pro-HD and the WDTV Hub are legacy products that played well together. The Hub has not been undated in a year and is now unlikely for any support given WDTV's stance on the product line. Nothing will have changed at WDTV's end.

I haven't changed anything on my Pro-Hd and yet the links are now broken. Something has happened at Sling's end - there has been a change that has now crippled the Pro-HD and I assume the 350 and WDTV functions..

An explanation from Sling is needed. Until then the 350 purchase remains on hold.

osaka_gaijin

I wouldn't have 'as much' of a problem with it....if Sling (and / or) WD would admit they are phasing out support for these products, but to have nothing (zero zip) official on their website or offer to suggest anything that could remedy the issue is extremely poor product management; I assume that they are trying to implode their companies maybe? I sure as snake am not going to recommend either company (let alone product) to anyone.  Sling (back in the Solo days) worked great for a year...then due to the buldging capacitor issue that Sling 'refused' to acknowledge unless you paid $45 USD to walk through 'all' the simpleton trouble-shooting steps again that everyone had already done to figure out what the issue was in the first place.  Apparently you would get your money back at that point I read on a few posts. But after I fixed the capacitor issue myself, the sling worked for about another 6 months and then this darn firmware from (WD was it?) came out and KABOOM...the sling started having connection issues again (like immediately after I applied the firmware). 2 + 2 = 4 in this case. You'd think with sooooo many people having this Code 27 connection error after applying the firmware (that affected the Solo, the Pro-HD, the 350, the 500, or pretty much over half their 'fleet'), that they'd want to reassure customers that there was a fix (that didn't involve you having to fly to another country to fix the problem on the local network).

Will wait til I go back (maybe in 2 years) to run through the Internet Viewing setup again (which supposedly will fix this issue as noted on the support sites)...by then the box will probably be ready for the pasture...:(

Sling had a stellar idea and product...then deep sixed it in my opinion with lousy customer care and no support for 'common' problems.

I need to chill cause I'm just venting here. Nothing really productive L

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:25:35 -0700

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from Maxcats in SlingPlayer for WD TV Media Players - View the full discussion

The issue here for me is that BOTH the Pro-HD and the WDTV Hub are legacy products that played well together. The Hub has not been undated in a year and is now unlikely for any support given WDTV's stance on the product line. Nothing will have changed at WDTV's end.

I haven't changed anything on my Pro-Hd and yet the links are now broken. Something has happened at Sling's end - there has been a change that has now crippled the Pro-HD and I assume the 350 and WDTV functions..

An explanation from Sling is needed. Until then the 350 purchase remains on hold.

rosshsb

I have NOT experienced any of these 10003 or other error numbers that other seem to have.  I use a sling 500 and WDTV, and sometimes a PC or Mac or Android player.  Only error I see is if the network goes off, which is expected of course.   About 2 months ago, when the BGP 512K problem was present, it was problem prone, but then most other network devices suffered the same too.

Perhaps my good luck is down to the location I use for the region for login?  I always set it to US region (though I'm in Asia).  My hope here is that the US region has the most users, and gets the most attention should any sling.com error get introduced.  Maybe its nothing, but give it a try.

Maxcats Novice

And today without changing anything at my end my WDTV Hub and Slingbox Pro-HD are streaming  together No changes, no explanation.

osaka_gaijin

Are you referring to the Code 27 error where the slingbox (from Pro HD and Solo) disconnects after a couple minutes? That is my problem 'after' applying the WD TV Live firmware (I think back in the spring). I haven't checked yet...figured it was a hopeless cause until I could get out to where it's being hosted and run through the Internet Viewing setup again (like some of the support blogs said).

D