3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2010 3:12 PM by eferz RSS

Limited kbps via lynksys router, but not via direct connection!

6458mb

Hi everyone,

I have a 5 Mb upload connection where the slingbox is set (Portugal) and I can get 3.6 Mb in my slingplayer (in Holland) with a direct cable connection and manual settings... but from the moment I put the connection through my lynksys router (WRT54G v1.1), even with an ethernet cable the signal does not go higher than 1.8 kbps! why is the router limiting my signal? The firewall is off, I have the QoS, readjusted the MTU and have the latest firmware version of my router! Some help please!

• Re: Limited kbps via lynksys router, but not via direct connection!
          eferz Expert

Try this  site, (http://www.speedtest.net) and use  the world map to select Portugal if you're currently in the Holland or Holland if  you're currently in Portugal. The results there are listed in Mbps  (megabits), and selecting the alternate location will allow you to test  available bandwidth and latency over transcontinental links.  Don't  worry if your speeds don't match your ISP's advertised speed since those  are usually burst not sustained.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/854553224.png

Here's my test results.

Now for the reason you're only 1.8 Kbps is due to your current conditions.  the Slingplayer has a two-way  communication with your Slingbox.  Its algorhythm will adjust the  encoding to give you the best picture with the least amount of bandwidth  possible under your current network and hardware conditions.  If you'd  like to see your current statistics then check below.

Hold down [Alt]&[Shift]+[i] for the Slingplayer Desktop

stat-app.jpg

For the Web Slingplayer, hold down [Ctrl]  and click on the picture.

stat-web.jpg

If you still believe that you should get  better, then you can go into your Slingplayer Options (Alt+O) and  manually tweak the settings in the Encoding Tab to adjust the stream  parameters.

6458mb

Thank you for your answer! The site you sugested me gives me 25 Mb download with conection through the router or direct! So the problem does not seem to be the bandwidth that I'm receiving, but maybe something that I have to change in my router... because it is really a matter of the type of connection! With exactly the same manual settings on the encoding tab, with direct connection it is fine (3600 Kbps), and when it goes through the router 1800 Kbps!! Is there something general that I have to activate/deactivate on the router?

eferz Expert

In general, I can recommend that you make sure you have port forwarding rules for both TCP and UDP.  If your router supports Quality of Service (QoS) then you can grant priority to your Slingbox.  Something else you wanna check is if you're using the most up-to-date firmware.

Other than that, you might consider doing a google search to look for tweaks to improve latency for your router