15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2010 12:47 PM by eferz RSS

Slingplayer Mobile

Ksimba

I purchased slingplayer mobile for windows when i got my slingbox in 2006. I have had an Android phone since Nov of last year and was hesitant to move to Android because there was no mobile slingplayer for it. Now that there is a sling player for Android, do I have to purchase the new one since I have already purchased one for a windows mobile phone that I do not use any more?

Thank you,

K

• Re: Slingplayer Mobile
          ACC33537

I have the same problem! I have my SlingPlayer registration number so I should be able to transfer the player. But how do I download it to my Android phone??? I hope I don't have to re-buy the app! I'm calling Sling in the morning to get the answer for this!

rshef

I have been told that each version of SlingPlayer Mobile (i.e., Windows Mobile, IPhone, Android, etc.) is a separate purchase.

TerryAlg

You're suppose to be able to just enter your key number into whatever phone you're switching to and then you recieve an email confirming the transfer. Until they post a direct download, you can't do it.

eferz Expert

Slingplayer Mobile License transfers are only available if the original product is purchased from the same marketplace as the new product.

See topic (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000194.html)

mattlehrer

I purchased mine directly from the Sling Store and they just told me that the Android player doesn't have any place to input a key so we need to repurchase.  That's seriously LAME.  I'm not buying it again, I'll find another product with better customer service.

eferz Expert

Believe it or not, customer service isn't just about giving product away for free.

This is the unfortunate part of license management.

ACC33537

I have no problem with paying for it. But when I looked into getting a SlingBox one reason I picked it was because you could transfer the licence to a new device. When I lost my Windows mobile phone and had to do that I had no problem. I even got this e-mail from them for the "Device Change"

Dear Sling Media Customer,

Thanks for using SlingPlayer Mobile! We're  glad that you've made us a part of your mobile experience.

Just as a  reminder, your SlingPlayer Mobile registration key is good for activating one  player at a time. As a convenience to you, our one-step registration transfer  service automatically deactivates the previous phone when you activate a new  one. It's one less thing for you to do! This email confirms that this  registration transfer has been completed.

Would you like to learn more  about SlingPlayer Mobile? Come on over to our support site. There, you'll find  how-to articles, answers to questions, and other info that'll help you get the  most out of SlingPlayer Mobile.

Keep on  slinging!

Sincerely,
                            The Sling Media Team

I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it....but as the email they send me says....I paid for the licence on 1 phone at a time that can be transfered. Now that Android....Palm...iPhone....Windows Mobile.....ect are all out. They have changed their tune. Without notifying us. We already paid for the licence for SLINGPLAYER MOBILE. It was never locked down to a specific OS....now they are doing it. Which is fine, but it's just dirty that they wouldn't tell us or give us some kind of discount for buying something we already paid for.

TerryAlg

But who says they could only sell the program in the Android Market? I didn't get my Remote Desktop that way.

TerryAlg

I'm not paying it. The greed on Sling's part is really bad on this. I don't have that much of a problem paying for the mobile software for Android because someone gets paid to develop it, but to have to get a new Slingbox because there's not going to be anymore Classic firmware updates to work with this is a joke. If they wanted to do some kind of trade in that makes sense ($50 is a joke) but to stick us for another 3 and change is bull. They couldn't even tell me why there wasn't a firmware update that will work with the new software.

It's a blatent rip.

eferz Expert

I think the reason there's aren't any new firmware support for the Classic is because it has been discontinued.  Even if there was it could be due to the fact that the Ti Divinci DSP is about 5 years old, and probably Texas Instrument doesn't even support it anymore.

Sorry, to say this... but I don't even think the Slingbox Classic is worth $50 since the Digital Transition Act pretty much obsoleted all analog television equipment.  I've looked on eBay and I've seen them going for less than $10. So, in fact if you're trading up a Classic then the trade-up program is giving you more than the market worth.

TerryAlg

Giving me more than it's worth?? How about they honor the product they originally put out? The product isn't obsolete because of anything other than the fact, they don't want to upgrade the software to work with THEIR newer software. It's a designed flaw on their part. Nothing else.

They want you to buy a new Slingbox.

By the way, they're still selling equipment that works with analog.

eferz Expert

This is the rumor that has gone around for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingbox

"Sling Media themselves have not currently offered any public explanation  for the cutoff, although one possibility may be related to the DSP in  newer models being programmable at runtime to deliver an H.264 stream  (the iPhone's preferred format) while older boxes may only be able to  deliver a WMV-encoded stream. Other communications from Sling refer to  the need to upgrade to be ready for "new features" not yet disclosed."

But, you're right Sling Media does want you to buy a new hardware.  Trying to support out dated hardware will cost them more to support it than it would for you to replace it.  That's been the golden rule of Total Cost of Ownership.   Every product has a lifecycle, and the Slingbox Classic has expired.