48 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2017 10:14 AM by JBOMA RSS

Cooling fan in Slingbox 500

kais

A month or so ago I noticed that the cooling fan in my Slingbox 500 was running pretty constantly, even when the Slingbox wasn't slinging.

I didn't think it was supposed to even have a fan, but apparently it does.

Granted it is summer and the temps are a little higher, but not that high.

The fan makes a rather annoying noise -- not a broken sort of noise, just annoying.

I tried a full reset before I did the SlingTV update, but nothing has changed.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• Re: Cooling fan in Slingbox 500
          jbodine74

I'm experiencing the same problem. It runs loud and hot for a while then is quiet for a while. I have unplugged in numerous times. I think the latest firmware update has started this because it never did this before.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi,

Do you have the Slingbox 500 in a confined space or sitting on any components that might add heat?

If so, try moving it to a more ventilated space if possible. I've shared your experience with our team here.

-Matt

jbodine74

Thanks Matt. I have it on top of my time warner cable box. I will move it off of that and onto my tv stand. I will report back later.

jbodine74

I moved the slingbox off of my cable box and that has fixed the problem.

kais

No, my Slingbox is on its own shelf in my AV unit and the fan still runs constantly.

It is not a confined space, as there are at least 6 inches of space on the sides, back and top of the unit, and it is at the front edge of the shelf.

In search of a solution, and because my Slingbox 500 is out-of-warranty anyway, I took the liberty of opening the unit by removing all the covered screws.

When the unit is powered on with no cover, the fan does not run.

I popped out the end caps on the left and right sides and replaced the cover, hoping the larger openings would provide more passive ventilation, and the fan still runs.

So at the moment I still have no solution.

HELP!

The sound of the fan is really irritating.

Also:

Ambient temps in my home have been around 80F, as it is summer and we don't waste money on A/C all day long. Still, 80F isn't that hot.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello again kais,

If it's ok with you, I'm going to have one of our technicians contact you to further troubleshoot and review options.

-Matt

kais

Thanks Matt, that's fine with me.

minard46

Mine just started doing this in the middle of the night last night/this morning. I thought it was the directv receiver making the noise that woke me up in the middle of the night, but tonight when it started again I got up close and heard it coming from the slingbox. I've had it for a couple years now and have never even heard the fan before. It sits directly on top of my directv hd DVR and has been there this whole time. It's not in a cabinet, everything is just on a shelf under my wall mounted tv. Where it was sitting on the receiver was pretty warm, so I grabbed a couple of small plastic boxes to rest the edges of it on so there's a gap between the receiver and the slingbox. Looks a little ghetto right now, but seems to have done the trick for tonight. I just don't know why it started all of a sudden, nothing has changed with my setup or positioning or the ambient temp.

dgoto90

Kais   Did you have any success getting technical support from Slingbox?  did it resolve the problem? 

dgoto90

Matt  How do I also  arrange to have a tech contact me I have the same problems with Slingbox 500 as the others who have posted here.  What is most interesting is everyone seems to be having the same problem beginning around the same time.  Was their a recent software upgrade which may have suddenly trigger this issue to some many?   Don in Seattle

ACC4426295

Why don't the technician put out a broadcast message on how to fix the fan noise?

dgoto90

Matt. from what i can determine talking to as few others in this fan problem thread no one has contacted anyone about this obvious increasing problem.  I would bet most of us bought our sling boxes around the same time so there is likely a failure in the boxes or a design flaw.  Please have someone et on top of this problem as it seems to be a bier issue than your company wants to acknowledge Thanks  Don in Seattle   Action speaks louder than silence

jcam

I, as well, am now having the same problem. After about a year and a half of quiet, uneventful operation, my 500 now makes constant noise. I assume there is a fan inside, running nonstop. It has always been above a cable box, with spacers between the two to provide airflow. The cable box does not produce much heat, but the Slingbox feels like it is going to burn up or eventually burn out, even when the cable box is turned off. So now, I keep the Slingbox unplugged. I am afraid to leave it plugged in when out of the house for fear that it might start a fire. Something has obviously changed the way it works. I guess the best I can do right now is get it totally away from the cable box, and see what happens.

bosoxrtc

Hello all,

My slingbox has just recently started with the cooling fan as well. I have had it for over a year in the same spot with no issues. Now it is constantly kicking on and it is very irratating. It kicks on every 10 minutes and runs for at least 2 minutes a clip.

macjohn

Yes, add my Slingbox 500 to the list of users experiencing a noisy fan...it began this morning and is an annoying hum..loud enough to be heard

over quiet TV diaglogue and quiet music. I purchased mine Dec 2012..only way to stop it is to turn the TV and A/V receiver off. Hope Sling can find a solution for everyone that is simple..

minard46

I ended up moving mine from on top of my directv receiver down to the shelf that my blu-ray player sits on because it doesn't produce any noticeable heat (compared to the directv receiver) and I haven't heard the slingbox fan come on since then. Last night my slingbox promoted me that there was a firmware update available, but I cancelled it since I was watching the Tigers game. I see it updated sometime after that as I am now at 1.8.402 and it says I'm up to date.

peterleedds

My Slingbox 500 also started to make fan noise yesterday.   Issue started yesterday.

2msimmons

I bought mine 7/2013 and just started having the same problem. The fan turns on intermittently wi an annoying noise but does not run all of the time. Just on and off enough to be distracting. I just talked to a Slingtech and he said they were working on it. No other details. Jack

nuspieds Newbie

I have two Slingbox 500s (purchased when they were first released) and I, too, am experiencing that annoying fan noise.

I also thought it was my DirecTV receiver or external drive connected to it until I got up close to do an inspection.  Both units have the issue and this never happened in the past; I can only assume that it must be due to a firmware upgrade.

Both of my units are sitting on the top of a cabinet; the only way I would be able to provide more ventilation is if I suspended them in mid-air.  This is not a ventilation issue and I would hope that the Sling folks are working on a fix.  At the very least, Sling, please post some sort of message.

2msimmons

I have suspended my box in mid-air and it seems to have solved the problem.

dgoto90

The point is none of us had any problems with the box for 18 months est?  Now we are all have similar problems all at the same time, which implies design flaw ? Sling, I don't see much tech or moral support here, showing you that you even care?

The problem isn't going away?   Not good for public relations?

Don in Seattle

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello All,

We are currently investigating these reports and will contact you individually to troubleshoot the issue further. Please note that the fan turns on when the temperature sensor inside the Slingbox detects that the temperature inside the unit is too high.

To ensure that the fan doesn't turn on frequently:

·        Place the Slingbox in an open space where it can vent it's excess heat

·        Please make sure that it is not placed on top of other electronic devices

We understand that some of you have tried these steps and were able to resolve the issue, but for some it has not. If you haven't had a chance yet, please try the above steps.

We’ve already reached out to some of you on this thread to discuss and will reach out to the rest of you in the coming days.

-Matt & The Sling Support Team

2msimmons

Thanks. Mine is working fine since I moved it to a more ventilate4d location. IS THERE ANY WAY FOR ONE TO SERVICE THE FAN TO SEE IF THERE IS ACCUMULATIO OF DUST?

dgoto90

Matt

Thanks for the update, but all things being the same for the last 18 months, why would all of these machines suddenly start having "overheating" problems when for the last 18 months no problems?  It doesn't sound logical.  

mike1024

Hi Matt

I am also having the cooling fan issue. Please get back to me to individually. I was told i would have to pay 170 to get a refurbished one.

nuspieds Newbie

Thank you, Matt, for responding to this thread.  It's appreciated that there is some response rather than silence.

It would be great if you reached out to me because, per my post above, my Slingbox units are sitting on the very top of a cabinets.  Not inside on a shelf, but on the very top; therefore, the only surface they are touching and are close to is the top of the cabinet.  Lots and lots of air and free space around the units--as has been the case since I first bought them, so it is definitely odd that all of a sudden this just started to happen.

Again, for me, this is not a ventilation issue.  Please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

apwilson54

Hi,

Add me to the list of loud fan noise and running hot for a SlingBox 500.. i think i purchased it late 2012 and it has been running quietly.

About mid August 2014 the fan started running frequently so i move it to a separate area next to my FIOS cable box.

No luck it is still coming on and its loud for a fan running in the bedroom.

Has Slingbox come up with a solution for the issue.. The box works i suspect the heat sensor is bad or the unit is over heating because of a design issue with the latest updates.

Is there a trade in program available for little or no cost to resolve this issue..  I haven't received any recall notices for heat or safety issues for the unit from Slingbox.

Thanks,

PAUL

JBoogie3

i have the same issue and would like support as well.

i agree with the folks that mention that this is a firmware update issue -- the only thing that gets distributed to everyone at the same time and would cause the same issue is a software update, not a physical change that all of us happen to do at the same time. i'm not sure what's included in the latest firmware update, but i don't mind going back to the old firmware version until this issue is fixed.

anyway, please help and thank you.

JBoogie3

sorry, but has there been any update on this issue? my problem is still there. fan is pretty loud in a quiet room.

nuspieds Newbie

You're not alone; we're all still waiting.

Sadly, I get the impression that Sling thinks it is a ventilation issue, so I am not confident that any troubleshooting is going on.  With so many of us experiencing the problem, I find it highly unlikely that they wouldn't be able to reproduce the problem using their units.

Mooring10

Has anyone been contacted by Slingbox as noted by Matt above?

I sure have not been contacted.  I moved my Slingbox and fan still comes on intermittently.

ACC4631336

add another one here, my fan noise started about two weeks ago

sits by itself , firmware up to date.

it is impossible they all broke at the same time, has to be a firmware issue

Mooring10

Well add me to the list too... My fan started about 2 weeks ago also.  My Slinbox worked fine on top of my cable TV box since March of 2013.  Now, the fan comes on VERY often, and is very noise--I thought I had a hard drive failing.  The Slingbox is now MUCH warmer than it ever used to be; not sure why.  Not sure if it's related, but now I can't change the tv channel through Slingbox; I can change it with the cable TV remote, so it's something in the Slingbox.

Add me the contact list for help please.

Mooring10

I moved my Slingbox off of my cable box and made sure it is well ventilated.  It STILL has noisy fan issues.

ACC4699176

Having the same fan issue myself. Their update must have changed the way the fan kicks on. Never had an issue until this update.

Mooring10

Has SlingBox contacted anyone here to resolve thus issue?  No one has ever contacted me about my problem(s).

MY 500 now disconnects every 4-5 minutes while streaming to a site not on my home network.  Don't think it is my network as Netflix steams just fine on the same NeoTV box receiver.

I see that I am out of the warranty period.  What is the expected service life of these boxes?  Temped to buy a new one just to compare performance and see if I still get the connection drops.

Comments please.

JBOMA

I suspect there may be a heat problem in Slingbox 500, and then gives the error that bitstream speed are reduced after 20 min? It is placed in a good open space. I have understood that reading in this forum that it contains a fan. I have suspected that it contains a fan, as it sounds like a fan starts when I turn on the power. But it sounds like the fan stops immediately within a second. And although the Slingbox 500 can get really hot, I have never heard that a fan has started. I have placed a table fan aimed at the Slingbox 500. However, it does not help to get the box to flow smoothly for several hours, just for the first 10-20 minutes.

My question to you is what you know about the fan? Is it a standard fan? (Model?) Is it on constant? Or just when needed? Does it have constant speed or increase the speed when the temperature increases? Has anyone changed this fan? Should you need to solder? Or do you have to replace other circuits?