18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2016 1:18 PM by ltlizard RSS

How do I reset / reconfigure Slingbox M1

Zilverfox

I just got a new cable box and would like to know how to reset/reconfigure M1.  I am currently unable to change channels remotely.   MI was previously set to to another cable box.

• Re: How do I reset / reconfigure Slingbox M1
          Invincible Newbie

To reset your slingbox M1 you have to be on the home network.

Have the slingbox powered on, use a paper clip to press and hold the Reset button on the back of the  Slingbox M1 for approximately 10 seconds  (until the network light blinks twice quickly).

After the Slingbox is reset, the power light stays solid.

You can then use Slingplayer for Desktop or SlingPlayer on your iOS device or Android phone to configure your Slingbox M1. Hope this helps.

alanrichey42 Master

No, you do NOT need to do a reset.  Simply go to the Standard screen and select the Reconfigure Inputs option and enter your new cable box.

ltlizard

K so what if slingbox support already told me to reset the device? How do I procede now?

alanrichey42 Master

If you have reset the device simply do what I recommended in my first post.

ltlizard

Not happnin. 

Also, I have now tried to post this to the same forum where I posted last night and it keeps telling me I am logged out but I am not. I have tried over and over so that is why I am doing it here now. 

Anyway I had replaced my Comcast modem which has a router built in. Now I cant connect. I had not found this post and of course, calling, as I found, does little good. The guy I talked to sent me this when I told him I wasnt going to pay for just a simple reconnect: 

Thank you for contacting Sling Media Technical Support.  We're here to help!  I am sending this email with the article information below.      You can erase the network settings by hold down the WPS on the back of the Slingbox for about 10 seconds. It will blink once and than twice rapidly. It will act like your settings it up for the first time but your just redoing the network settings.  

I reset it as he instructs. It has been blinking since last night. Last night I tried to find more on the web. A time suck and not leading me to anything I could do. I went in my software on my PC. It is a scam. All ads. Whenever I try to click on something it plays another long ad. I get these notes below and when I click on anything a new ad plays. My unit is still blinking. Power is on but net is blinking. I am ready to throw it out the window. I suspect the guy told me to reset it so I would eventually get like this and just pay to get it fixed. I have reinstalled the software and I have unplugged the unit, waited and plugged it back in, and I have restarted my PC. I have reinstalled the software again. Nothing. Below is what I see on my screen with the software on. Again, anything I click will play and ad and then go back to this screen: 

- if your Slingbox is turned on.

- if your Slingbox Network LED is solid on. If not, click on Directory -> Home -> Settings -> Network Settingsto reconfigure Slingbox network

- If you have hard reset your Slingbox, please click onDirectory to configure it again.

Click here for more information.P-31

To: ltlizard <ltlizard@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:12 AM

Subject: Re:  - How do I reset / reconfigure Slingbox M1

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions - View the full discussionIf you have reset the device simply do what I recommended in my first post.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following How do I reset / reconfigure Slingbox M1 in these streams: Inbox

alanrichey42 Master

Try doing a factory reset by holding in the Reset button (not the WPS button) until the lights blink twice.   Then run the Desktop Player to configure it,

ltlizard

"holding down reset" is sticking paperclip into tiny hole. I am glad I remembered that old trick or I would have been pulling my hair out as there is no "button" to hold down. 

Anyway, saw blink twice and then restarted software. The device is ON but the net is off. No action. 

On following anything in the app, it plays ads again. And no matter what I click, I get a new ad. Also says error in connecting device. Any clicks to anything is more ads. This is such a scammy operation it's not even funny. I guess I paid for limited service because once you do something as simple as switching modems, the thing is trash! It hasnt been moved or jolted or had anything changed except that since I set it up and now it just dont work. 

Error in Slingbox connection

From: alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:15 AM

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions - View the full discussionTry doing a factory reset by holding in the Reset button (not the WPS button) until the lights blink twice.   Then run the Desktop Player to configure it,

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

alanrichey42 Master

Anyway, saw blink twice and then restarted software. The device is ON but the net is off. No action.

On following anything in the app, it plays ads again. And no matter what I click, I get a new ad. Also says error in connecting device. Any clicks to anything is more ads. This is such a scammy operation it's not even funny. I guess I paid for limited service because once you do something as simple as switching modems, the thing is trash! It hasnt been moved or jolted or had anything changed except that since I set it up and now it just dont work.

OK, then your box is not connecting to the network, could be a router problem.   Do you have access to an iPhone/iPad or Android phone ?   You could try setting it up from one of them.

ltlizard

Thanks for your help. Are you an employee or just another user who happens to know a lot more about such things than most? It seems that's what one needs to be these days in order to really buy anything, and yet companies will gladly sell stuff to suckers like me. 

Anyway, I have spent many hours on this and it's really frustrating. Silly too that I cant even post in the site forum. I figure this is destined to fail because after yet another reset attempt it just aint happnin. 

Since I am one to keep everything and can gather all records and also recount all notes and steps I took. I am thinking of taking this joke company to small claims court to recover both the cost of my original unit and also the cost of the app on my phone. Also, I will detail how they make it really hard to find things on the site and do everything to force people to pay $29+ just to get simple support. If I can get this thing to work, I will be lucky and so will they. 

To: "jive-962997903-89ou-2-37v6@slingmedia-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com" <jive-962997903-89ou-2-37v6@slingmedia-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com>

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:28 AM

"holding down reset" is sticking paperclip into tiny hole. I am glad I remembered that old trick or I would have been pulling my hair out as there is no "button" to hold down. 

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:15 AM

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions - View the full discussionTry doing a factory reset by holding in the Reset button (not the WPS button) until the lights blink twice.   Then run the Desktop Player to configure it,

alanrichey42 Master

Thanks for your help. Are you an employee or just another user who happens to know a lot more about such things than most? 

The latter.  I would be embarrassed to be associated with Sling Media these days.    Unfortunately my expertise is with building Custom Remotes for boxes Sling do not support, my knowledge of connectivity is distinctly sketchy so I can't give you an instant answer/

ltlizard

you have been thankfully giving me instant answers. And your knowledge is not sketchy. I am certainly lucky to have connected with you. 

The problem is, like I said, people do have to be IT savvy to get any tech these days and if not, it's like buying a wooden nickle. Anyway my entire home network and all devices work fine. The router is part of the comcast modem and is an actual exact dupe model of the one I had before. I had changed it out on their recommendation when I thought I was having some other problem last month not related to slingbox. I only recently tried slilngbox this past weekend from phone and discovered I was not connecting and realized it was due to having changed router modem. So I dont think the router is having issues. But i will try from my phone when I have a chance and report back. Thanks. 

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:52 AM

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions - View the full discussion

Thanks for your help. Are you an employee or just another user who happens to know a lot more about such things than most? 

The latter.  I would be embarrassed to be associated with Sling Media these days.    Unfortunately my expertise is with building Custom Remotes for boxes Sling do not support, my knowledge of connectivity is distinctly sketchy so I can't give you an instant answer/

ltlizard

So I am wondering if and how you might be able to help me further. 

I have the following set up in my basement, where the modem is and the TV... although there is a concrete wall nearby and while you can see the modem from the TV, maybe it cannot always. 

But this is ALWAYS how it was, even before when it worked. 

I have a TV and cable, and this is hooked up to comcast cable. I have my apple TV and while these can see wifi, I have it hard wired with cat 5. I have my slingbox and the plugs on back hooked to cable, the small wire with the "eye" and the power plug. This had worked without a network cat5 cable on it. 

Now with my new modem, which is also a router, this no longer works, and I have tried everything. You have seen. The new modem/router is exactly the same model as the one I had, so in theory, one should be able to change some input data and it should see it. but I cannot fathom how exactly to do this or where--without having to endure those STUPID ads on the slingbox app! 

Now, if I plug that network cat5 cable into the slingbox, it works! I can see it on my PC and on my phone. Can connect or disconnect either one and it works great. 

So the only new change is that somehow, the slingbox cannot see wifi of my new modem router, but if I hook it up directly it can work. 

So I ordered a simple cat5 female to female splitter, figuring that I would never need to use both the apple tv and the slingbox at the same time (I use slingbox when away) and I hoped this would make everything work. 

it does not. If both are hooked up, neither gets feed. 

Have any ideas? The TV area only has one network cable connector. It has been, as said, for my apple tv unit. 

Is there a way, while sling is hooked up and working, to use that moment as a time to change any settings so it later sees it as wifi like it used to?

thanks

jeff

From: Jeff F <ltlizard@yahoo.com>

To: "jive-962997903-89ou-2-37v8@slingmedia-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com" <jive-962997903-89ou-2-37v8@slingmedia-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com>

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:58 AM

you have been thankfully giving me instant answers. And your knowledge is not sketchy. I am certainly lucky to have connected with you. 

The problem is, like I said, people do have to be IT savvy to get any tech these days and if not, it's like buying a wooden nickle. Anyway my entire home network and all devices work fine. The router is part of the comcast modem and is an actual exact dupe model of the one I had before. I had changed it out on their recommendation when I thought I was having some other problem last month not related to slingbox. I only recently tried slilngbox this past weekend from phone and discovered I was not connecting and realized it was due to having changed router modem. So I dont think the router is having issues. But i will try from my phone when I have a chance and report back. Thanks. 

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:52 AM

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions - View the full discussion

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, you have just gone well beyond my level of understanding of the system.

ltlizard

any ideas who I could best contact for this? I am at a total loss. 

Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 3:45 PM

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions - View the full discussionSorry, you have just gone well beyond my level of understanding of the system.

alanrichey42 Master

Either hope someone here takes pity on you or you pay $30 to Sling

Sorry

ltlizard

yah i figuredsuch a fkin scam, like I said before. 

I need to remind people i know NOT to ever get one of these

but thanks anyway

Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 4:03 PM

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox M1/M2 Questions - View the full discussionEither hope someone here takes pity on you or you pay $30 to Sling Sorry