3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2014 10:44 PM by callanish RSS

Solo Set up Question

Bdylan89

Hello, I'm in Washington DC and have my slingbox solo hooked up to my brothers cablebox in PA.  He initally set it up wrong and I tried logging in and seemed to connect to the network but received a no video signal error.  This was because he had the out cables hooked up to his tv rather than the cable box.  He hit the reset button on the slingbox and the lights were blinking and are now both solid.  We then figured out the error of it being hooked to the tv and plugged the cable into the back of the sling box.

While I think the sling box is setup up correctly now I can't connect to the network anymore since he hit the reset button.  Both light are light and no blinking on the slingbox but when i check online on my slingbox page is says Owner: Not connected/ Network Status: Off.  I think this is because the reset button was hit and my brother also tole me he got a new router.  I'm thinking the solution is to update the router IP address. How do I do this online.  Do I need to deleted my current slingbox record and start over?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• Re: Solo Set up Question
          callanish Apprentice

Did he hold down the reset button on the back for 30 seconds and then after that re-run the sling setup again or did he just press the reset button without re-starting the sling setup?

Bdylan89

No I think he just held down the reset button for five seconds until the lights flashed. What do you mean by running sling setup?  Sorry I haven't set up this slingbox since I got it three years ago.  If that's the online portion where you have to enter all of the router info then no he did not.

callanish Apprentice

You mentioned your brother got a new router. Basically when you do that, you need to rerun the sling setup process over again. Holding down the reset button on the back of the solo for at least 30 seconds gives you a hard reset allowing a complete start over. Going through the setup again and making sure you have remote viewing capabilities is a priority for you since you're outside the local network where the slingbox is located and viewing from a remote location. Just make sure he sees that remote viewing is successful once he's completed the sling setup. If not, then you've probably hit a port forwarding issue with the router. If he can connect to the slingbox locally, but you can't remotely, then he'll need to go into the router settings. If your viewing streaming speed is unstable or you're experiencing dropped connections, it could be another reason that port forwarding isn't enabled on the router. The slingbox will default to the Snatt / Relay protocol without port forwarding, which some, like myself, find I get a faster streaming speed, but others find a TCP connection, due to correctly port forwarding the router, to be a more stable protocol and it works better when accessing from mobile and connected devices.

If for some reason, and it happened to me with my solo, where I couldn't complete the setup through sling's online web setup. there's a desktop software package that also works with the solo that worked for me when the web setup failed. Don't have that link off hand, but I'll post it if needed.