5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2010 7:46 AM by andyandhelen Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Help

andyandhelen

I hoped that the purchase of the Sb would be a good buy, glad I held off on the Slingcatcher.

Eferz here has pointed me in the right direction, but still to no avail.

I ran through the setup and all worked, when I click on support the Internet Viewing is marked as YES, so activated. Great i thought my girlfriend can now watch my satellite receiver abroad. NOPE

I am then told that I need to do port Forwarding? WHY WAS THIS NOT MENTIONED ON INSTALLATION.

WHY do I need to do Port Forwarding when the setup states that internet viewing is activated?

Nowhere does SB website mention what my girlfriend has to do at the receiving end to activate viewing.

So I was sold a box that stated setup was easy, yeah right everyone knows about port forwarding?

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, would call support but they only work mon-fri  !!!

I have been involved in tv systems for years and this box gets 2/10 so far.

Any help graetly appreciated.

• Re: Help
          BrandonC Novice

What is she using and what program is she trying to watch with?

When she tries to watch what happens?

eferz Expert

andyandhelen wrote:

I hoped that the purchase of the Sb would be a good buy, glad I held off on the Slingcatcher.

I wouldn't buy the Slingcatcher, its junk in my opinion.  Besides it has already been discontinued in the United States.

Eferz here has pointed me in the right direction, but still to no avail.

Apparently, I failed in my description or you failed in comprehension otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need to open a second topic concerning around the same problem.

I ran through the setup and all worked, when I click on support the Internet Viewing is marked as YES, so activated. Great i thought my girlfriend can now watch my satellite receiver abroad. NOPE

You'll need to elaborate on the problem.  How is your girlfriend connecting to your box?  Which Slingplayer client is she using; Web Slingplayer, Slingplayer Desktop for PC, Slingplayer Desktop for Mac?  And what exactly is the error message that she receives.

I am then told that I need to do port Forwarding? WHY WAS THIS NOT MENTIONED ON INSTALLATION.

Sounds like Setup Assistant configured Port Forwarding for you.  Which is probably why it didn't tell you to do it manually.

WHY do I need to do Port Forwarding when the setup states that internet viewing is activated?

You might want to check Port Forwarding is indeed open on your end from this web site. (http://www.canyouseeme.org)  In some cases, its possible that you're either being blocked by your ISP or that their Broadband Modem has its own firewall.

Nowhere does SB website mention what my girlfriend has to do at the receiving end to activate viewing.

That's because she doesn't.  Port Forwarding is only required where the Slingbox resides.  Port Forwarding allows anonymous internet traffic to connect to the appropriate server within your private network.  In this situation, your Slingbox is the server.

So I was sold a box that stated setup was easy, yeah right everyone knows about port forwarding?

Typically the setup is easy; however, there are certain situations where the broadband service provider's configuration from either sending or receiving points may offer a challenge to the average user.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, would call support but they only work mon-fri  !!!

Well, I'm trying to help.

I have been involved in tv systems for years and this box gets 2/10 so far.

Sorry to hear that but of course you are entitled to your opinion.

andyandhelen

Eferz, I really appreciate the help, a friend of a friend who works in IT today got this box working, after 2 hours with the aid of your guide on portforwarding.

Great I thought however the picture in Moscow, on a half decent broadband connection is, well below average.

Can anyone tell me if the S Video Lead would enhance picture quality much, I know it wont reduce the blocking. We are changing broadband provider in two weeks, which may help.

So my rating of this product now goes to 4/10.

eferz Expert
                    The S-Video would give you slightly better picture quality over Composite.

But, the overall issue for remote viewing in Russia from the USA probably has to do with bandwith speed and latency.  This is dependant on your upload speeds, your girlfriend's downlown speeds, and the latency caused by the network hops between you two.
                    http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-techspecs

HD Streaming: 3 Mbps or higher (only available for the Slingbox Pro-HD)
                    SD Streaming: 600 Kbps or higher
                    Mobile Streaming: 150 Kbps or higher
                    Another issue might be the tech spec of the computer.
                    Minimum PC  Requirements:

• HD Streaming: Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class  processor or  equivalent with 2 GB of RAM. Video acceleration support  desirable on  graphics card
                    • SD Streaming: Pentium 4 class or equivalent  with 256 MB RAM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP,  Windows Vista, or Windows 7 with latest updates
                    Browser Support: Internet Explorer Version 7  or higher, Firefox Version 3 or higher
                    Minimum Mac  Requirements:
                    • HD Streaming: Intel 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo class  processor or  equivalent with 2 GB of RAM
                    • SD Streaming: Intel-based Mac with 2 GB of  RAM

Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.7 (Leopard) or  later
                    Browser Support:  Firefox Version 3 or higher, Safari Version 3 or higher