5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2014 9:49 PM by ferguspa RSS

dorm room setup with appletv

tabixby

We have a Slingbox M1 at home. My daughter is at school with her TV and her appleTV device.  We were trying to set up her dorm room so that she could access the slingbox on her TV in her dorm room. THe problem we are having  is that the appleTV must be connected directly to the internet (not wirelessly) in her dorm room. The school only allow certain devices to be connected wirelessly in the dorm room. When we try to locate the appleTV using the wireless devices (ipad, iphone 5s) connected wirelessly to the same network, the appleTV is not visible through airplay (via slingplayer).

• Re: dorm room setup with appletv
          tabixby

Also, when we tried to install slingplayer on her Macbook at school it asked for our slingbox ID. I've tried every different method on sling.com (and there are at least 3 different methods describing how to retrieve the slingbox ID and none of them work. So if anyone has successfully retrieved their slingbox ID, please let me know how.

• Re: dorm room setup with appletv
            ferguspa Apprentice

It's very likely the school does not allow Bonjour (a.k.a. Rendezvous, Zeroconf, and mDNS) network broadcast announcements to pass from the wired to the wireless network (it's also possible that the wired and wireless dorm networks are segmented apart from each other and data might not flow between them).

Bonjour operates by every device announcing it is on the network.  Imagine every resident in your daughter's dorm would have to loudly scream "I'M HERE!" every few minutes or else their friends would forget that resident was in her room.  Multiply that across every dorm resident and you get a lot of noise that's difficult to navigate easily.  This is one of the reasons Bonjour broadcasts are frequently blocked, much to the dismay of Apple TV (and Bonjour-based printing, and TiVo, and other devices that rely on Bonjour broadcasts) users.