13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2014 10:59 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

SlingPlayer for Desktop 2.0 software

roxrox

Please have pity on me. My daughter hooked up our slingbox in our second home.

It is a Solo. We got that so I could watch it on the iPad from my other home.

I am watching it also from the iMac also no problem.

What I can't find on this website is where is the software so that I can watch the Solo Slingbox from my new Windows 8 laptop?

I can't find that anywhere on here. I need to downlad some player software on my Windws 8 Laptop and I can't find where that is.

A Link would be great!

Thank you in advance.

• Re: SlingPlayer for Desktop 2.0 software
          kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello roxrox,

If you are looking for the old desktop software please click on ng link below:

If you are looking for the the SlingPlayer for Windows 8.0 for a Windows Tablet, then you will have to go into the Windows Media Store on that Tablet to download.

Hope this helps!!!

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

roxrox

To be honest I'm not really sure what I have. I bought this laptop on the way to the airport as I left the country. It is a laptop in that it has a keyboard but it also has a touch screen. It had Windws I think 8.1 but I could not figure it out it was sooooo different than the other versions of windows that I put 8.3 on it but to be honest it still mostly looks and oeprates like 8.1

I went to the windows store through the link below and tried to purchase the app, but since I am not inside the United States is simply will not permit me to do that. I spent an hour on the phone with them and this is what I was told. Which is kind of wierd as in February I bought a Subscription of Office and they sold that to me no problem!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps#Cat=t0

I have a Mac and bought the Slinplayer software through iTunes and didn't have any problems. I am simply not able to buy it from the Windows app store, it gives me an error code number and when I called in with the error code number they told me it is becasue my account is registered as a US account so I physically have to be in the USA. I think I'll call Sling on Tuesday and see if I can buy it dierctly from them. I cna't think of what else I can do.

I am able to watch the slingbox in the browser for live TV, but of course cannot watch shows I have recorded.

I used to have this on my iad which I could carry into the bedroom at night for a little tv viewing before bed, but I lost that iPad on vacation so I have to put it on this new laptop, the only other alternative is to carry in my big iMac which I confess I have done. It was so handy to watch the slingbox on the iPad, I have to tell you. Next time I'm in the States I'll have to get another iPad. In the meantime I ahve to figure out a way to put the player app on this new laptop.

alanrichey42 Master
                  I am able to watch the slingbox in the browser for live TV, but of course cannot watch shows I have recorded.

Right, this is the important bit.   That is how you are supposed to watch the stream, you are under NO obligation to purchase another player for WIN81.   And anyway, installing another player will offer you nothing extra to what you are getting by viewing through the browser.   So forget everything you have talked about.

Now, why can't you watch recorded TV ?  Have you not set up the remote so you can operate your DVR from a remote location ?

roxrox

Oh! You mean I don't have to download player software to access the remote control?

I thought watching it in your browser only allowed you to watch it live.

Is there a way I can make the remote control show up in the web browser?

And thank you for responding to me. As you can see I'm not exactly doing well with this stuff.

roxrox

on the IMac and iPad I did download the player software that I bought.

That is the -only way- I have ever watched the Slingbox play, through the slinbox player software.

I didn't know you can put your DVR box remote control inside the web browser.

Actually yesterday on the Windows laptop it played better than it normally plays on the iMac with the player software, but who knows it could be the Mac and not the player software. This is what makes this field so "interesting" so many variables...

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, all the Mobile platforms need an 'add-on' player that has to be purchased, something Sling are regualrly pilloried about.

If you have a realsitic remote on the iPad then the remote should display in the Windows browser.   At the risk of asking a silly question, you have tapped on the Hide/Show Remote have you ?

image1.jpg

Or do you not have a remote image on the iPad either ?

roxrox

In fact I lost the iPad when I was on vaction. I am looking for help with watching it over a web browswer on my Windows 8.1 computer. I understood you to say that when watching tv on INternet Explorer, I can add in the remote control from Verizon (the cable company).

I need the remote control in the web browser so I can access recorded shows.

Thank you

alanrichey42 Master

For some reason You didn't answer my questions as to whether you used to have a remote image on your iPad and whether you had tapped the icon I circled.  Assuming the answers were NO & YES then simply click on the word Settings then Configure Input and follow the instructions.

roxrox

sorry, yes i didn't answer your question about my ipad as i said i lost it on vacation. so l'm not you know, focused on it. it worked just fine, including the remote control.

i was hoping for an answer to my question about accessing a remote control inside the web browser on my windows 8 computer

Again, for my wndws 8 computer. Through internet explorer, and thanks

roxrox

It would be really helpful in your suggestions if you would specify Windows 8 computers instead of generic terms such as  "Mobile devices", see I do not know if my laptop is considered a mobile device. My latop does a touch screen, so I don't think that is a desktop computer. ym only concern is this windows laptop, and thanks

alanrichey42 Master

OK, we are getting there slowly.   Now you tell me that a remote was visible on the iPad we know the Slingbox input was setup properly.    As such, you should be able to see the remote on your laptop (and it is a laptop, mobile devices are phones/tablets).

So I am still waiting for an answer as to whether you have tapped on the Show/Hide Remote Icon that I asked a few posts back ?

And what browser are you using ?  Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safairi or Chrome ?

roxrox

Exactly what I have for a laptop is- HP ENVY Tochsmart m6 Sleekbook

It says in Control panel I have Windows version 8.1 but that is funny I thought I had upgraded to 8.3, oh well

alanrichey42 Master

Any reason why you can't just watch it on a browser ?   newwatch.slingbox.com

Any while I hate to disagree with a moderator I think Kevin is mistaken in that he talks about you having a WIN8 tablet whereas you actually have a WIN8 laptop ?