3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2014 4:34 PM by leanne.sling RSS

Can I hook up directly to my router - Part 2

ACC4785197

I asked this question a few weeks ago, no help with the given answers.

Can I hook up my slingbox 500 directly to my computer router? without hooking up to an A/V source?

1. I have reset my slingbox

2. When I get to Step 2 with setup, I choice no TV device

3. But, when I get to Setup remote, I can not bypass this screen (I am not using an A/V device, so I do not have a remote)

4. Do I connect it to my computer monitor? If so, how? It does not have inputs for anything.

Someone walk me thru this, please!!!

• Re: Can I hook up directly to my router - Part 2
          OvCollyer Apprentice

What are you trying to achieve by using a Slingbox without an AV source?

If you can try and explain your aims then maybe someone will be able to help you.

ACC4785197

I am wanting to watch on my phone, away from the house. I bought a new TV, that shows is it not compatible with the Slingbox 500, when I hook it up. So, I am trying to hook it directly to my cable router (which is also my cable tv provider), near by computer.

Can I do that? or do I have to hook up to a cable box?

leanne.sling Newbie

Hi ACC4785197,

If you are trying to view you cable remotely you will need to connect the Slingbox to a Cable box to receive the video stream. As for the type of internet connection we have Slingboxes that connect both to wifi as well as with an Ethernet cable. So if your concern is that the cable box is not near your router then you may want to check out our current models of Slingbox that allow you to connect over wifi. Here is a link that compares our two current models of Slingbox:

Hope this answers your question, if you have further questions feel free to contact us back!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team - Leanne