4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2014 11:10 AM by stringer3 RSS

Port forwarding and watching slingcatcher abroad.  Do I need static IP?

stringer3 Newbie

Hi

I have successfully used slingcatcher abroad for many years, watching my UK sky box attached to slingbox solo.

James(?) on this forum took me through how to port forward and stream through TCP.

But now someone has told me that whenever I port forward I need a static, rather than the dynamic IP address I have always used up until now

I have recently signed up to sky fibre pro, which enables me to have one if I want to

I am reluctant to fix when nothing is broke, but can any sling expert give me a definitive answer?

• Re: Port forwarding and watching slingcatcher abroad.  Do I need static IP?
          katie.sling Apprentice

Hi stringer3,

Thanks for using our forums. You have a great question. The Slingbox SOLO does require a static IP to be able to keep the port forwarding settings and stream to the SlingCatcher. Once you set the static IP and reset the Slingbox to get that IP address, you will be able to stay connected to your SlingCatcher.

Hope this helps!

Katie

The Sling Moderation Team

stringer3 Newbie

Sorry, Katie.  I didn't make myself clear.  My slingbox does of course have a static IP already, but I was wondering if in fact my router in the UK needed one as well.  Anyway I am now happily watching TV through my slingcatcher in France so clearly a static IP address for my router us not necessary!

By the way, why on earth did Sling stop producing the slingcatcher?  It is a great piece of kit!

OvCollyer Apprentice

The only IP address that needs to be static is the one you have setup your port forwarding to, i.e.the IP address of the Slingbox. This is because if it wasn't static then your port forwarding rule would become invalid if the IP address of the Slingbox changed.

However, your location/router itself doesn't need a static IP address because what happens is your Slingbox will report your router's IP address (often called your external IP address) to the Sling account server if it changes. Your Slingcatcher then contacts this account server to get the up to date external IP address of your router and thus knows how to reach your router, and then via your port forwarding it can also reach your Slingbox.

Slingcatcher was the best companion to the Slingbox and I agree wholeheartedly that it was a real shame they dropped it. It beats any other Slingplayer they have developed for getting the video on the TV hands down.