10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2015 2:58 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Sling Sales Support... Is there any?

rotorone

Bought my SOLO in 2007 and it died about 6-8 months ago but wasn't using it that much so I said "what the ****...e.

But I miss my Slingbox and was deciding on a new one.

So I came to your website and see that you have the SlingTV & the M1. But can't find the 350 on your website. Is it no longer for sale?

I already have the Slingplayers for my iMac Desktop, Laptop, iPad& Phone.  I assume that the players will work with all you products?

I also saw an add for a credit for upgrading to a new Slingbox?

Help I need a new sling...

Frank

• Re: Sling Sales Support... Is there any?
          katie.sling Apprentice

Hi rotorone,

Thanks for using the forums. I would be more than happy to answer your questions about the Slingboxes that we offer.

At this time, we are currently selling the M1 and the SlingTV. We are no longer manufacturing and selling the 350 as it has been replaced by the M1.

Both of the new Slingboxes will work with the mobile apps and the SlingTV will use the website sling.com to view. The desktop software is older and unsupported and at this time will no longer work with the Slingboxes. The Slingbox M1 will use a seperate newer desktop software to view on a computer (both Mac and Windows).

We do have an upgrade program where you will get a $30 discount for owning a previous Slingbox. The link below will take to the upgrade program. The M1 will be $119.99 and the SlingTV will be $269.99.

Hope this helps,

Katie

The Sling Moderation Team

jacke

So you're saying that my 350 is junk now and I have to buy an M1 to go back to what I had? Does the M1 work with windows vista on a desktop? if not, I will have to buy a new computer also...correct?

alanrichey42 Master

No, the 350 is perfectly OK, it just isn't being produced any more.  I have 2 original Slingbox classics that Sling stopped supporting years ago and they are still going strong.   (And I haven't junked my Volvo V70 because a new model replaced it either )

The new standalone Desktop Player works on Vista and in fact will also display your 350 as well.

jacke

Do you have a link to download standalone slingbox player. A helpful person sent the following to me. (below) I tried them both,I have my 350 set up on a DVR in another room in my house. I can turn the unit on and off using the remote on my desktop from another room, but still no picture.

Classic SlingPlayer software won't work with a 350.

The options are SlingPlayer Embedded or possibly the current Slingplayer Desktop (under the heading "Slingplayer for
                      Windows").

jacke

Hi rotorone,

Thanks for using the forums. I would be more than happy to answer your questions about the Slingboxes that we offer.

At this time, we are currently selling the M1 and the SlingTV. We are no longer manufacturing and selling the 350 as it has been replaced by the M1.

Both of the new Slingboxes will work with the mobile apps and the SlingTV will use the website sling.com to view. The desktop software is older and unsupported and at this time will no longer work with the Slingboxes. The Slingbox M1 will use a seperate newer desktop software to view on a computer (both Mac and Windows).

We do have an upgrade program where you will get a $30 discount for owning a previous Slingbox. The link below will take to the upgrade program. The M1 will be $119.99 and the SlingTV will be $269.99.

Hope this helps,

Katie

The Sling Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

It's this one:  Slingplayer Desktop

This statement from Kaitlin: "The desktop software is older and unsupported and at this time will no longer work with the Slingboxes" is a bit misleading.   What it should say is "The ORIGINAL desktop software is older and unsupported and at this time will no longer work with the CURRENT Slingboxes".    It works perfectly well with the older Slinboxes (Classic, AV, Tuner, Pro, Solo, Pro-HD).     The new desktop software at that link, although designed specifically for the new M1, works with ALL Slingboxes

jacke

I'm sorry, I don't want to be a pain in the *** but, unfortunetly, that did nothing except open up the window to the slingbox page, which I already had, but in the screen where the video is suppose to be is now blank. I can sit in my living room and by being on slingbox.com on my computer running vista, I can use the on screen remote to turn my dvr on and off in the other room, but that's all. It does not sling the video anymore.The link that you gave me is the same  version of the add-on was already on my computer.

Am I right about that there was a software upgrade of some sort to the slingbox itself. Am I getting that correctly?. All I can tell you is that one day my slingbox worked fine and the day after this so called upgrade, I no longer can see video or hear audio.

Tell me this., how can I start from the beginning and see if it will work? I'll take the slingbox program(add-on)  off of my living room computer and download it from............? give me a link. And should I disconnect the sling box from the dvr and start over there also? Can I get a tutorial from the beginning.

Actually, I'm going to do that now. I''m going to dissconect the 350 completly and take the program off of my computer and start fresh.

Ok. I did that. I hooked it up and went to slingbox.com to download the proper software. The box came up and said a new version of blah blah blah is available and I did that and it came back on and NOTHING. however I can still control the DVR from the online remote. No video or audio.

I  also use this when I travel and I have a computer with xp that I don't know will work until I get to that location again. And if it doesn't?

alanrichey42 Master

OK, you aren't really being specific here.   Am I right in assuming that the Desktop app runs up OK, and displays the Slingbox directory with your Slingbox on, but when you click on it and connect then there is simply a blank video screen but you can select the remote and it works ?

If I am wrong then please explain EXACTLY what is not working,

If that is the case then most of what you have been discussing is irrelevant, your problem is simply that no signal is arriving at the video input on the Slingbox.    So what we need to know now is EXACTLY how you have the system wired up.

BTW, if it used to work and then stopped, and you are using the HDMI ouput on your STB to drive the TV then the answer is simple.  Your TV provider has started implementing HDCP to prevent you copying/placeshifting HD video.

jacke

I couldn't post this on the forum board for some reason. So, I copied and pasted here.

OK, I'll try to be more specific. When I go to Slingbox.com and sign in, the app runs and the TV console opens. I click on the remote icon and the TV remote appears as well as the directory with the green light that says everything is working ok. I move the remote to the side of the screen. I click on the power button,.... and in the past, it opened and I could watch any channel from my cablevision subscription. However, one day, starting a few weeks ago, the video didn't start and it still doesn't. Nothing there. No error message or any other kind of message. Just a blank screen.

I have it wired the same from day one. I'm using component cables from the cable box to the slingbox. From the cable box to the TV, I'm using coaxial cable. I was using the HDMI cable 2 years ago when I first got the sling box. I read online that it could be the cause for not working, So I took the HDMI cable off and it worked great. I use this HD cable box for music most of the time,( when I'm not using it for slingbox), so, I don't care if the picture is not in HD. which is why I don't have component cables from the DVR to the TV. Do you think the coaxial cable could be doing the same thing as the HDMI?

So, since it didn't work with the HDMI cable 2 years ago, I can assume that they have the SOC on my cable box. I found this information on this link.Slingbox Support - Troubleshooting "No Video Signal" errors during setup

However, I don't get the "no video signal" error. I get a blank screen.

alanrichey42 Master

First thing to check is to plug the component leads intoiyour TV to see if there is actually a video signal on them.   if not then the problem is with your cable box, not the Slingbox.    And what happens if you drive the Slingbox from the composite cable ?  Do you get a video then ?

Basically you need to simple tests to figure out EXACTLY where the problem lies.