19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2015 9:46 AM by Raffy RSS

SlingBox M1 turns on Television

olapac

My new SlingBox M1 keeps turning on the television when I access it from my iPad.  I've tried a few things, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

NOTE:  I'm NOT using the IR Blaster and would prefer not to.  Thanks.

• Re: SlingBox M1 turns on Television
          alanrichey42 Master

What device did you select when you were configuring the input ?    And what is the Make Model of your TV ?

olapac

I'm using Component Video Cables from my DirecTV box into the M1.

My TV Model:  Samsung 6300 LED TV.

The SlingBox works fine, and picture quality is great on the iPad - I just can't seem to get it to stop turning on the TV when it turns on the DirecTV receiver.  Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

Interesting one.   The 2 devices use totally different codes so it would be a coincidence if they triggered.   Are you sure your DirecTV box isn't configured to switch on the TV when it is turned on ?   What happens if you have the TV off and turn the direcTV on using the real remote ?

olapac

On my DirecTV remote, there's a button that turns the receiver on only, and another button that turns on both the receiver and the TV. My previous SlingBox handled this correctly.

BUT your post got me thinking. I originally configured the M1 for connectivity on another receiver (a Genie Mini C41-100) which has a different remote than the receiver the M1 is currently connected to (Genie HD DVR HR34-70).  I'm thinking if I switch the remote in the setup process, that might correct the issue.  Thanks.

dmd3home Newbie

This is exactly the problem I'm having!  But I am using a 350 with a directv DVR. When traveling I use slingbox to access my DVR at home. Every time I connect, my 60" Samsung TV turns on at home and remains on for the duration. I don't really like running the big tv while I'm gone (though gives the house a "lived in" look). This problem has baffled me! There is no power connection between the DVR and tv. I am using the sling IR blaster in front of the DVR inside a cabinet to turn on and control the DVR....in that location there is no way the IR signal can get to the tv mounted well above on the wall. I can locally just turn on the DVR without the tv coming on....but if I do it remotely the tv comes on too. There is a button I use on the directv remote that will turn on the DVR and tv together, but that involves the remote sending out two separate signals, one coded to the DVR and one coded to the tv in sequence. I see no way this could function using sling. It's baffling! A work around, of course, could be to unplug the tv when I leave (not a bad idea anyway) but the mystery just won't leave me alone! What's happening?

alanrichey42 Master

I'm with Ferguspas on this.  There is no way the Slingbox can be responsible for this as the likelihhod your TV uses the same codes as a DirecTV is remote.   Therefore there must be a setting somewhere in your TV that will switch itself on if it senses a video signal ariving at the input.

What model is it ?

dmd3home Newbie

Interesting discussion....but, I can't agree with the projected theories ...at least in my situation. You see, I have no output, HDMI or otherwise to my TV from my Sling Box. I am using the component input to the Sling 350 only (directly from the component output of the DVR). In fact, I only have the component input, Ethernet, power, and IR blaster plugged into the Sling Box. Again, the IR blaster, DVR and Sling Box are buried deep inside a cabinet well away from and with no line of site to the TV (a Samsung UN60D7050VF, to clarify). So, this remains a mystery to me. I can't believe that the Sling Box could send a signal backwards from its component input to the component output of the DVR which would then would send a "turn on" signal to the TV through its (the DVR's) HDMI output to the TV. Strange! Any more theories? However it is interesting the Olapac is having the same problem and he too is using DirecTV. This does seem to be (perhaps) a common thread....the DVR? Still, the DirecTV DVR turns on and off all the time as programmed and from other locations throughout the house to play in other locations and yet never turns on the Samsung TV.....unless directed to locally.....or, when Sling is activated.

BobShanghai Newbie

Do you have an HDMI cable connected from your cable box to your TV? (I think you do from your latest post).

If so, unplug it either at the cable box end or the TV end.

Then see if the TV powers up when you use the M1.

Bob

alanrichey42 Master
                            Interesting discussion....but, I can't agree with the projected theories ...at least in my situation. You see, I have no output, HDMI or otherwise to my TV from my Sling Box.

No you misunderstand what we are saying.   We are saying that the Slingbox has absolutely nothing to do with your problem, except that it is sending an IR code to the DVR to turn it on.

What we are saying is that when the DVR turns on and the HDMI output from the DVR to the TV becomes live then the TV, which is sitting in standby, is sensing that a video signal has arrived at it's HDMI input so it turns itself on.   This is a feature of the HDMI Cable that it can carry such a signal (in fact a SCART lead has a similar option)

What we are asking you to do is to put both DVR and the TV in standby, remove the HDMI lead from the back of your DVR and then repeat the operation.   We reckon the TV will then NOT turn on ?   What happens ?

The only mystery is why this doesn't happen if you power up the DVR with the 'real' remote control.  There maybe 2 IR codes available, one to power on the DVR while enabling the HDMI 'wake-up' signal and one that dsiables it.

dmd3home Newbie

I was never blaming Sling and have always realized it's a configuration phenomena using all these components together. Indeed, as you said, it IS getting the turn on signal via the HDMI cable. I did unplug the HDMI and indeed, the TV didn't turn on. I was a little surprised though because, as I mentioned, I turn the DVR on and off throughout the house to watch DVR recordings on other TVs and it doesn't turn on the big TV......apparently the DVR is smart enough to only send a signal to the TV that is requesting it at the time.....it's a pretty "smart" system. And I always thought that I was turning on the TV with the remote......but perhaps it was just seeing the signal and turning on! However, mystery solved, but the problem isn't. I can't find any settings on the TV for the "input live, TV on" and it may be a built in feature without user control. But, even if I did have control, it's a nice feature and not sure I'd want to defeat it (unless I could do it selectively)......so then, guess I'm stuck with the TV turning on while using Sling. It's not all bad though...as I said, it gives the house a "lived in" look while I'm away....or, I could remember to unplug the TV when away...perhaps a good practice anyway, OR, unplug the HDMI input to the TV. A better solution though would be to get the signal and control to the Sling Box the same way my satellite TVs do it, not through the outputs on the back of the DVR but a Directv H25 remote satellite controller. I think this would solve the problem, but would require an additional dedicated device, power, etc...and expense. I'm not sure it's worth it....I'll just live with it and work around the problem......just thought it was very interesting.

I just discovered the problem a few weeks ago. I have a security system with cameras and the system sent me an alarm, seeing movement within the house, I went to the monitoring site and could see that the TV was on and had activated the cameras!....I then realized that I was watching Sling and it had some how turned the TV on.....it was ME remotely who had turned on the TV and activated the alarm....whoa! Technology these days!

Thanks everyone for the help!

ferguspa Apprentice

To disable or enable CEC/Anynet (Samsung marketing name):

Samsung UN60D7050VF Manual

See the page titled "Setting Up Anynet"

Setting Up Anynet+MENU -> System > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) → ENTER- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) (Off / On)

To use the Anynet+ Function, Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) must be set to On.  When the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) function is disabled, all the Anynet+ related operations are deactivated.

DirecTV Receiver (sorry, can't find a manual)

Menu -> Settings & Help -> Settings -> Display -> Video -> HDMI Control On/Off

dmd3home Newbie

Ok thanks.....you are great at finding all these sources...much appreciated. Not sure where I want to go from here though, I think I like anynet + functioning as is. As I mentioned...probably easiest to just unplug the TV. But, the mystery is solved....thanks so much.

olapac

Want to thank everyone for their assistace on this issue.  I've been out-of-pocket for a bit, so I was unable to try some of the suggestions given until recently.

You guys are right - the HDMI cable was sending a signal to the TV to turn itself on once the cable box was turned on.  I tried this on another TV (a Toshiba) and the same thing occurred. 

Someone noted that the CEC control should be turned off.  I did that, and the SlingBox/TV works as expected.

Thanks again.  This really bothered me for awhile and glad it's resolved.

Raffy

I have a Slingbox M1, Humax HDR-1100s Freesat box and a Samsung TV.

Turning on the Freesat box also turned on the TV, hence turning on the Freesat via slingbox did the same.

The "cure" was to go into the Samsung system settings and turn off Anynet.

Now I can remotely turn on the Freesat box via slingbox and the TV stays off.