5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2010 10:18 AM by sheanon Branched to a new discussion. RSS

connecting slingbox to pc ethernet

sheanon

I am considering getting a slingbox but it will not be near my router.

I do however have a pc with a connection to the internet via a wifi adapter that will be close to the slingbox.

Can I connect the free ethernet port of the pc to the slingbox and share the pc's internet connection with the slingbox?

I have done this with my xbox before but not sure if it would work the same way.

I tried searching to see if this was already answered but could not find anything

Thanks in advance

• Re: connecting slingbox to pc ethernet
          eferz Expert

Yes, it would work but your results will vary.

I wouldn't recommend that configuration for high definition streaming with the Slingbox Pro-HD.  There's an issue with sustained bandwidth with wireless networks as it is, and adding your PC as a bridge could add further latency.  This would be undesireable for optium high definition viewing,

You'd be better off using Home Plug Powerline setup to provide ethernet over power lines.  This alternate would avoid the latency and bandwith issues normally assoicated with wireless networks.  There are many manufacturers to choose from (D-Link, Cisco, Netgear, Belkin, and even Sling Media).  I personally prefer the Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD, since its the fastest wireless networking alternate.  Some of these systems will even allow you to support multiple connections, so your PC, Slingbox, and X-Box can share the same network connection of the power lines.

sheanon

Well I'm not that interested in the HD part of it quite frankly so connecting via my wifi pc will likely suffice.

But it's good to know that I have options with the powerline options.  But for now I want to keep this cheap.

Couple more questions...

Do I need a special crossover ethernet cable?

Also if I go through my PC will there be an issue in connecting to the slingbox from outside my network, will I be able to expose my slingbox easily?

thanks

eferz Expert

sheanon wrote:

Do I need a special crossover ethernet cable?

A simple ethernet crossover cable will suffice.

Also if I go through my PC will there be an issue in connecting to the slingbox from outside my network, will I be able to expose my slingbox easily?

You will need to have the PC on since it would be supporting the network bridge.  If your PC has a desktop firewall, that might add a small challenge for your configuration.

sheanon
                      A simple ethernet crossover cable will suffice.

Sorry I meant do i need a crossover cable, vs a normal ethernet cable... I guess the answer is yes...

Thanks for your help eferz, I will update this thread if I get it up and running

sheanon

ok so this was working at some point but it stopped i'm not sure how or when.

So I tried starting over but no luck here is where I'm at...

I setup ICS (internet connection sharing) on the host/gateway PC running XP.  PC is connected via WIFI to internet and connected to Sling with crossover cable.

I connect the slingbox with crossover cable, and the ethernet light on the slingbox is a solid red

The TCP/IP settings for the LAN connection is:

IP: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

The pc that it is connected directly to thet sling box can see the slingbox but none of the other computers on the network can, nor does the internet viewing setup succeed.

I believe that the reason for this is that the Slingbox is on a different subnet.  It's actual IP according to the info from the slingplayer is 192.168.0.252

This cannot be pinged from my other machines only the host pc.  My router is on 192.168.1.1 and all my pcs are 192.168.1.X

Whenever I try to change the TCP/IP information to the 192.168.1.X subnet it doesn't work and the host pc can no longer connect to the slingbox.

I've tried entering DNS info, but that made no difference.  Also my router UPNP recognized the Slingbox and configured the 5001 port to forward to it.

However no luck on any machine outside of the one directly connected.

Any help would be appreciated.