9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2014 8:02 AM by Ken.B RSS

Slingbox 350 and Player on the same LAN

Ken.B

Before purchasing, all of the on line forums indicated that if the slingbox and slingplayer were on the same LAN then the streaming would take place over the built in switch in the router after the initial connection was made and not eat into the isp's datacap. One week of experience and now tech support are telling me the opposite. I am using a 350 and neotv. With my 5G datacap (we're in a remote area w/o any wired isp) the product will be worthless to me if the videostream has to go out on the internet. Does the stream have to go out over the internet and if so please explain why.  Thanks

• Re: Slingbox 350 and Player on the same LAN
          alanrichey42 Master

It's always been stated on here that the ONLY use of the internet for local viewing is the initial handshaking and display of the Slingbox directory.   Although it is worth noting that at least one Moderator on here didn't know that and gave the same answer as the Tech line

So it really depends on the question you asked of the Support line.   If you asked if you needed an Internet connection to stream then the answer is yes.  If you specifically asked if the stream would eat into your data cap then the answer is no.

Al   (Owned multiple Slingboxes for years and a 10Gb data cap)

Ken.B

Thanks Al, this is what I was led to believe in theory before my purchase and yes I did ask specifically about the streaming. In practice though, I ran the Slingbox App on my Neotv for an hour and a half and then closely monitored the usage on my Verizon Wireless account and that hour and a half ate up  about 1G of my 5G datacap. I did some research and it certainly looks like if you go back to the original slingboxes, they definitely had connectivity through the intranet as internet bandwith wasn't as readily available then using software loaded players and assigning a location number to your slingbox. Are you sure something hasn't changed with the more current hd capable slingboxes that force you to send out a stream over the internet even though your slingbox device and player device reside on the same intranet? My primary goal is to get a stand alone hdtv to work with a player via intranet streaming and secondarily to have the ability to connect a pc or a kindle, again only using intranet streaming as my datacap makes hd video streaming over the internet cost prohibitive. Would appreciate any advice to make this application work.

Thanks,

Ken B.

alanrichey42 Master

I am still 99% sure I am right and the new boxes work the same.  My concern is that you are watching the Slingbox through the NeoTV rather than directly on a laptop or mobile device.  I don't know how the NeoTV app works ?  Maybe that insists on the stream going via it's own servers ?

Ken.B

Tomorrow morning I will substitute my laptop for the Neotv as a test and then check the datacap usage on my Verizon Wireless account. If the Neotv is the culprit then I'll have to find a player that works the same way or go to a pc with hdmi out (my old one doesn't have it). I'd prefer a player than a pc. I will let you know tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:24:39 -0700

To: ken.bilodeau@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Slingbox 350 and Player on the same LAN

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox 350 Questions - View the full discussion

I am still 99% sure I am right and the new boxes work the same.  My concern is that you are watching the Slingbox through the NeoTV rather than directly on a laptop or mobile device.  I don't know how the NeoTV app works ?  Maybe that insists on the stream going via it's own servers ?

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox 350 Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

Ken.B

Hi Al,

Using a PC definitely cut way down on the datacap usage. In your experience do you know of a stand alone player that is compatible with the 350 that will definitely stream via an intranet connection to avoid the datacap problem of the Neotv? Also, the sling website indicates that Windows XP is not supported. Is there a downloadable player out there that can still work on XP allowing me to temporarily use an old pc with some decent hardware as a player?

Thanks,

Ken

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:24:39 -0700

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from alanrichey42 in General Slingbox 350 Questions - View the full discussion

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Slingbox 350 Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

alanrichey42 Master
                            Using a PC definitely cut way down on the datacap usage. In your experience do you know of a stand alone player that is compatible with the 350 that will definitely stream via an intranet connection to avoid the datacap problem of the Neotv?

Afraid not.  I use an old Slingcatcher to view my Solo on a TV, but that isn't compatible with the M1.

Also, the sling website indicates that Windows XP is not supported. Is there a downloadable player out there that can still work on XP allowing me to temporarily use an old pc with some decent hardware as a player?

Don't get confused by the word 'support'.    It doesn't mean it won't work, it means that if you phone up Sling Support with a problem they won't help.  They stopped 'supporting' the Slingcatcher a long time ago but minr happily soldiers on.

Assuming none of the browsers work the destop software at http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer_2.0.4522_Setup-Global.exe is your best bet.

Ken.B

Does the desktop software link player support right up to 1080p if your pc is equipped with a video card capable of it?

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 07:31:56 -0700

Slingbox Answers Forum

Using a PC definitely cut way down on the datacap usage. In your experience do you know of a stand alone player that is compatible with the 350 that will definitely stream via an intranet connection to avoid the datacap problem of the Neotv?

Afraid not.  I use an old Slingcatcher to view my Solo on a TV, but that isn't compatible with the M1.

Also, the sling website indicates that Windows XP is not supported. Is there a downloadable player out there that can still work on XP allowing me to temporarily use an old pc with some decent hardware as a player?Don't get confused by the word 'support'.    It doesn't mean it won't work, it means that if you phone up Sling Support with a problem they won't help.  They stopped 'supporting' the Slingcatcher a long time ago but minr happily soldiers on.

Assuming none of the browsers work the destop software at http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer_2.0.4522_Setup-Global.exe is your best bet.

Ken.B

ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks for all of your help.

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:00:14 -0700

Slingbox Answers Forum

No idea.