9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2014 3:16 PM by JanMcD RSS

Slingbox and Roku

ACC2572966

I bought a Slingbox and Roku 1 player last week.  I have cable TV service at one location and internet service at both locations, so my hope was to install the Slingbox at the one location and the Roku at the second location to be able to watch TV at both.  I guess I didn't really read far enough into the discription of how the Slingbox works with Roku but found it only works through a smartphone.  What I have found is that I love the Slingbox app that works on my PC. I can effortlessly watch TV shows on my PC at the second location.  I can output the shows through the HDMI port on my PC to the large flat screen at the second location as well.  The virtual remote control is fast and easy to use on the PC app and I get no dropping of the connection.  All in all, I think Sling could not have done a better job on the PC application.  It is almost flawless.

On the other hand, attempting to access the Slingbox through the Roku is a horrible experience.  The necessity of having to route the connection and control of the datastream through a smartphone I believe is the downfall of this.  I find having to use 3 different remote control screens on the ap to be able to effectively control the Slingbox extremely cumbersome.  The response to button presses on the virtual remotes also is aggrivatingly slow.  Once you do eventually make it to the channel you want, you are treated to a dropped connection about every 5 to 10 minutes.  All of these problems makes watching TV programing through the Roku too burdensome to do.

So my question is why do you have to go through a smartphone to get programming to the Roku.  When I bought the Slingbox and Roku I was thinking, "Hey, they both are going to be connected to the internet.  It should be a no brainer to have a Sling ap on the Roku and you will control that ap with the standard remote that comes with the Roku."  But no such luck.  I suppose there is some issue with licensing or maybe the Roku doesn't have the processing power to run an ap like this as well as the PC does.  But all I can say is the current implimentation of the Slingbox/Roku link is so bad I cannot recommend it.

• Re: Slingbox and Roku
          terradon973 Newbie

how do you even setup the Roku to accept the Slingbox?

tyson.haase

100 percent agree.  The roku is nothing more than an outlet to play your mobile device on the TV.  There is no sling software on the Roku.  Please sling bring back the Slingcatcher!  Or at least make the M1 compatable with connected devices that actually have sling software like the sony connected device. 

terradon973 Newbie

I think the issue may be a legal issue with not going direct to roku but they just wont say . its just very odd that u need to use a phone or tablet to handoff the connection. I turned my cell off whole watching it on roku and nothing happens.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

<div

OvCollyer Apprentice

I think in principle the idea isn't all that bad now that they've made it hand off the connection from your phone to the Roku.

It was pretty poor that beforehand it tied up your phone and the phone received the stream and then had to bounce it wirelessly to the Roku - that left a lot of scope for wifi issues to mess with the stream.

Is your Roku connected via Ethernet? I'd have thought you'd be able to get a solid and stable stream if you can now hand off the connection to an Ethernet-connected Roku and then the phone just maintains a connection to the Slingbox purely for remote control - it makes sense because the phone can provide buttons for all the remote PVR functions whereas the standard Roku wouldn't be able to and you'd need to have those awful on screen UIs like they have on the older connected device players for WDTV etc.

However I think it would benefit from working on tablets, which I don't think it does yet? That way you could then have the proper full graphical remote appear on the tablet and be able to control it just like you can on the PC player. So you wouldn't need the multiple screens on your phone to get all the functionality.

So if they did that and if they can make this reliable then I think it's potentially a good solution.

It sounds like they've still got to iron out the glitches though if commands are taking longer than the PC version and there are disconnection issues.

I wonder if they'll actually stick with it this time though and improve it or will this become next year's legacy Slingplayer?

terradon973 Newbie

I set the TV channel on the PC app then went to my phone and connected to roku. But how do u change channels etc when using roku

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

<div

ACC2572966

My Roku 1 is connected to the internet via wireless but I have to maintain the video stream through the phone (I think).  I kept getting disconnected every 5 or 10 minutes and would need to reestablish the connection on the phone.  But I am not sure the disconnect was being caused by the phone losing the stream or the internet.  I haven't tried shutting off the phone to see if you lose the stream.

I did talk to Sling tech support about the problems I expressed above and she was saying that the Roku is just a "mirroring" device for what you are seeing on your phone.  So I would assume you have to maintain the stream through the phone and the phone is not just being used to establish a connection.  I made the suggestion that they add a few more circuits to the M1 so that you receive signals being sent by another M1 and people wouldn't have to fool around with 3rd party hardware and apps.  She thought that was a great idea.

I am not familiar with the "Slingcatcher" mentioned above.  Was that its primary purpose and was it selling in the price range of a Roku?

JanMcD

I bought a Roku 1 that has software version 5.5 and am trying to connect Sling to it through my iPhone 5s with The Slingplayer app v 3.8.1. I cannot get the option to stream to Roku to appear, even though both the iPhone and Roku are connected to the same wireless network, and the app tells me that "Roku player was successfully found" when I manually add the Roku player to the app by inputting its IP

address. I've read that the button allowing me to stream to Roku should appear to the right of

the volume slider in the Slingplayer app on my phone, but I get nothing. Ideas?