1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 19, 2014 6:18 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingbox Suitable for Rental Property?

rxnb90

I've never had a slingbox.  So I have zero experiance.

I have an out of state rental property,  and was thinking it might be a real money saver if I set up slingbox  instead of paying for two cable accounts, home and rental property.

I have a silicondust HD HomeRun Prime instead of a Comcast set top box.  Is Sling compatible?

If I have a new Samsung smart TV at the rental  property, in theory I should be able to put a slingbox at home, load  the slingbox app on the rental property TV, and the one cable account  feeds both properties.  Both locations could view programing at the same time, since there are 3 tuners on the silicondust device.  Do I have that right?

How reliable is slingbox?  If the renters TV is always going down, them being out of state it could be very disruptive.

The  silicon dust HD HomeRun Prime has 3 tuners, and the rental property has  3 TVs.  So it seems possible that the rental property could take all my  available tuners and leave me with no tuners available at home... Or if  I'm watching TV or recording multiple shows, then the rental property  could be blocked.

Can "rights" or "privileges" be set  up at the rental property?  Or is it a risk that the renters could order  alot of PPV and stick me with the bill?

I see in  the forum that some people have set up Sling in their vacation  properties.  I'd really love to hear from those people.  Or if anyone  has anything like the config I'm suggesting, or if a Sling employee  could comment that would be most welcome.

thanks!

• Re: Slingbox Suitable for Rental Property?
          alanrichey42 Master
          I have a silicondust HD HomeRun Prime instead of a Comcast set top box.  Is Sling compatible?

Check http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000164   If it isn't supported I can probably build you a Custom Remote.

If I have a new Samsung smart TV at the rental  property, in theory I should be able to put a slingbox at home, load  the slingbox app on the rental property TV, and the one cable account  feeds both properties.

No,   As far as I know there is no app for a Smart TV.    The system is based on you viewing the stream on a PC or a Mobile device, phone/tablet.   If you want to view on a TV you need to get an additional device such as Roku (still needs an iphone), WDTV, AppleTV......

Both locations could view programing at the same time, since there are 3 tuners on the silicondust device.  Do I have that right?

The  silicon dust HD HomeRun Prime has 3 tuners, and the rental property has  3 TVs.  So it seems possible that the rental property could take all my  available tuners and leave me with no tuners available at home... Or if  I'm watching TV or recording multiple shows, then the rental property  could be blocked.

Almost certainly not.  On most boxes I know of the multiple tuners are solely there so you can record other programs while watching another.   Like your TV, the Slingbox can ONLY access whatever signal comes out of the back of your Cable box.   And I suspect that is a single channel.   And if you are watching a channel that is the ONLY channel the Slingbox can stream to your other property.   if you want to stream a different channel then the Slingbox will need it's own, dedicated cable box.

And even then, only one person can watch the Slingbox stream at any time.   So you can forget having 3 users.

How reliable is slingbox?  If the renters TV is always going down, them being out of state it could be very disruptive.

It's good,although like many electrical things these days it occasionally requires a reboot.   But as it is sitting next to your TV that is fine.

I see in  the forum that some people have set up Sling in their vacation  properties.

Sorry, you are missing the whole point of the Slingbox.  You don't 'setup' a Slingbox at your vacation home.  You 'setup' the Slingbox at your main home and then you can watch your TV ANYWHERE in the world.   Your vacation home is simply somewhere where you can login and watch, the signal is available wherever you are, coffee shop, hotel, airport, friend's house.................

Make sense ?