14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2014 8:52 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

How to record future show on iPhone app

Trombino

How to you record a future show from the TV Guide on the iPhone app?  Tapping the future show takes me direct to current live show.  No option to record.

• Re: How to record future show on iPhone app
          alanrichey42 Master

You do it as you would on the 'real' remote.   I would hazard a guess you highlight the show and tap on Record ?

Trombino

?If I could access the remote in full form, that would do it, but on the iPhone all you get is the darn D-Pad.  I think on the iPad app you get the full functioning remote.

alanrichey42 Master

It just starts with the D-Pad.   If you then select All you get what you want.

image.jpg

Trombino

Yes that's where the record button is but it only records current program. I want to go to the channel guide, select a future program and record that one. That's what my DVR is for.

alanrichey42 Master

I can only repeat what I said before.  You follow the exact same sequence on the iPhone remote that you would follow on the real remote.   Obviously I don't know what that is, so you will have to help.

What is the EXACT sequence of buttons you follow on the real remote to record a program from the Guide ?

What happens when you try to repeat the sequence on the iPhone ?

Trombino

Alan, thanks for your time and attention trying to help.

If I can access the regular remote on the phone, no problem but this is only available on my PC and I believe on tablets.  On the iPhone you get instead the D-Pad which doesn’t help to record future shows.  Frustrating that there is no User Manual or guide on the Slingbox site to assist.  You can’t call anyone without a charge so we’re left to the discussion groups.  All the excellent YouTube videos do a good job but don’t touch on recording future shows on the iPhone.

Seems too obvious and I’m usually pretty tech savvy.

Maybe someone else will chime in or someone from Slingbox.

Jim

alanrichey42 Master

Why won't you answer my questions ?   I repeat:

What is the EXACT sequence of buttons you follow on the real remote to record a program from the Guide ?

What happens when you try to repeat the sequence on the iPhone ?

Trombino

OK..

On my real remote (or on my PC Slingplayer)  I select Guide or Favorites (Heart) button, scroll to future program, select it by hitting “OK” and I’m done.

I CANNOT repeat this on my phone because I do NOT have a regular remote, only the D-Pad remote which is totally different.  So I am unable to repeat the sequence I use at home (or on my PC where I do have a replica of the remote and I can use my mouse to select all features).

My apologies for not making myself clear about NOT having the usual remote on my iPhone.  I know you’re trying to help.

Jim

alanrichey42 Master

OK,I'll again go back to my previous post.

On your iPhone, connect to your device and start streaming

Tap on the Guide button.   Hopefully the guide listing appears.  Use the D-Pad to select the program you want.

Now, as I said before, Tap on the 'All' option at the top.  That should display the other buttons including the Record button (you may need to scroll right/left)

Tap on the Record button.

Does that not work ?

Trombino

D-Pad does not appear when I am on the guide.  Only options are Close (the guide) and Edit (for adding/deleting Favorites).

If I tap on a future show to tape, stream goes to live feed.  What am I doing wrong?  How do I access even the D-Pad from the TV listings screen?

alanrichey42 Master

OK, what happens if you ignore the built-in Guide button and navigate to the Guide in the same way you do on the real remote.   i.e.  start the stream, tap on the Remote icon, then tap on All and then scroll the remote till you find whatever button it is on the real remote that pulls up the guide.   Then tap on D-Pad and navigate to the programme, then All and record.

My whole point is that if you use the ALL option on the iPhone remote you have access to ALL the same buttons that are on the real remote, so you can do exactly the same procedure on the iPhone that you do on the real remote.   The D-Pad and Keypad options are simply a reduced set of buttons to make it easier to do certain operations.

alanrichey42 Master

Later:   OK, just tried the Guide button on my iPhone on a USA Slingbox and found it takes you to built-in guide and I agree you cannot record from that.   On Slingboxes outside the USA it mimics the normal Guide button.  Hence my confusion,

So just ignore the built-in guide button and simply use the All option on the Remote.

Trombino

Well… it’s not easy but I think I’ve solved the problem with your help.  But not sure.

As you suggested , I went direct to live stream, Remote (D-Pad), Guide on D-Pad, and then tried scrolling to a program where I think I was able to record it bit not sure because it does not appear on my Scheduled list of upcoming recordings.  Even if it worked, it is really cumbersome.  Don’t know why they didn’t design the Guide so when you click on a future recording you are given options as to what to do with it like record.

I may soon give up if this doesn’t work.  Not worth it, just that sometimes I’m delayed at work or on a train and want to tape something that I’m not home to watch.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Jim

alanrichey42 Master

You are mixing up the built-in Guide in Slingplayer with the built-in Guide on your DVR.    The built-in Guide on Slingplayer has absolutely nothing to do with your DVR, in fact I think you can actually access it with the DVR turned off or not connected.   It is simply based on the details you gave when you set up the Slingbox, i.e. ZIP code and TV Provider.    So there is really no way they could link that to your device.   It is really just for info and a quick way to change the Channel on your stream without having to type in numbers.   if you 'actually' want to interact properly with your device then you need to select the remote and use it as you would the real remote.

You should count yourself lucky that Sling have at least provided you with the extra option of a guide without having to work through the menus on the DVR.   No-one else in the world outside of North America has that privilege, we have to do it all the normal (or 'clumsy' as you put it) way

BTW, it is exactly the same on the iPad.   if you tap the Guide option on the bottom of the screen you get the built-in Guide with no way of recording.  You have to pull up the virtual remote and use that.   The only difference is that it looks like your remote rather than just a long list of commands as on the iPhone.