15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2014 3:05 PM by barneyDAbro RSS

Slingbox M1 proxy support?

blahdeblah

Hi,

Could someone tell me if the Slingbox M1 software has proxy support.

Thanks.

• Re: Slingbox M1 proxy support?
          brett.sling Newbie

Hello blah deblah,

Thank you for posting on the Sling Answers forum.

At this time the Slingplayer for Desktop application which supports the new M1 does not support proxy. We are currently evaluating this feature, however, and hope to include it in a future release.

Regards,

Brett

PM @ Sling

blahdeblah

Any ideas how long this feature will take? This is an extremely important feature for placeshifting over large distances, sometimes the only way to get good throughput.

EDIT: If I return the M1 and get a 350 will I be able to use the proxy server with that?

brett.sling Newbie

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide delivery dates - but I can assure you that we hear how important this feature is for you and other users on the Slingplayer for Desktop application.

Thanks,

Brett

PM @ Sling

blahdeblah

Hi,

Does the Slingbox 500 have proxy support in the software?

brett.sling Newbie

While it is not supported in the Slingplayer for Desktop software, you can use the web application - http://newwatch.slingbox.com/ - to manually edit proxy settings for Slingbox 500 (but not M1). This is only supported for Windows, not Mac OS X.

Once logged in and connected to your Slingbox, navigate to SETTINGS > ADVANCED SETTINGS > PROXY SETTINGS.

I hope this helps,

Brett

PM @ Sling

blahdeblah

So here's the issue:

I  currently use a Slingbox pro to stream from the UK to Australia via a  proxy in the US. I have some relatives in the US at the moment who just  bought an M1. As this doesn't support proxies, the M1 needs to be  exchanged for either a 350 or a 500.

Do both the 350 and the 500, with the latest software support proxy services in the desktop software?

Has the SlingTV update removed the ability to use a proxy with the 500?

Thanks

gregom

Currently the Desktop for the M1,350 and 500 does not support Proxy. This is a big unfurtunate and I do hope they include this feature on the next revision.

If they decide to not have this feature certainly the M1 sales will not do so well.

I will make a request on the enhacements for this feature as this is probably used by most people to stream over long distances. Not only long distances but for people that have bad network routing to the slingbox.

Currently only the Pro-HD and older boxes have the support for desktop with Proxy serttings.

Sling Team, please update the new desktop player to have proxy support.

Cheers,

barneyDAbro

M1 does not support proxy is not true, have 350 and M1 and both are getting the proxy on the SlingPlayer for Desktop software (Win7)

just got to put the proxy information in the Webplayer Application (IE) and the Desktop Software adopts it,

it works on BOTH boxes 350 and M1

gregom

You are correct that you can setup a proxy in Internet Explorer however this is not the same as setting up the "Stream Proxy".

In my case when I connect via Stream Proxy I can get easily 3500 Kbps however when I setup the proxy in Internet Explorer I can only get 2000 Kbps

So to answer your question. They are not the same.

Therefore it would be for sling media best interests to have Stream and Service proxy added to the new desktop player becuase as is it doesnt serve me any purpose and doesn't provide any reasons to purchase the new M1 as an upgrade.

I have already made a request to have this addition to the software before they roll out fully... lets just hope they listen to my request

OvCollyer Apprentice

Actually it's you that is wrong

If you enter the proxy details in the Slingplayer watch website, the desktop application will pick it up. I have verified on my router's diagnostics page that when I connect to my M1 that the streaming traffic is going via the proxy server. This is with IE10 and Windows 8.1 desktop.

This makes sense if you consider that the desktop app is really just the web plugin packaged up with its own browser and therefore is picking up the settings from the same location.

It also means that it should be trivial to add the UI for this to the desktop player and there is really no excuse for Sling not to!

gregom

Guys Sling is currently working on no longer supporting the website player due to plugins issues. So it may work at this time but if they take that site down how can we configure the streaming proxy?

All I am asking is to have this feature on the new desktop player so that we can totally not rely on the web interface.

In any event, lets just wait and hope that this feature comes in the new release.