8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2014 11:05 PM by callanish RSS

Sorry, SlingCatcher could not connect to this Slingbox due to a network error

n437xPNQU3

My father in law is trying to hook up the SlingBox Solo in the U.S.  I am using a SlingCatcher in Switzerland.  He can view cable programming from the Slingbox on his computer.  When I try to connect to the Slingbox using my SlingCatcher I receive the same message even though I have reset the SlingCatcher multiple times.  The message I receive is "Sorry, SlingCatcher could not connect to this Slingbox due to a network error.  Please try again."  In all of the research I have done on Sling support and google searches this points to a problem with the Slingbox configuration including the below advise which I believe he has followed (see below).  Does anyone have any suggestions on what we need to do to get this working?

You see "Unable to connect to the Slingbox due to a network error" on your TV

·         If you're unable to connect to your Slingbox from SlingCatcher and you see that error, there's a quick solution. What may be confusing is that Internet Viewing from your Slingbox still works on a computer or on a mobile phone. Still, it’s quick to fix it.

While this looks like it's a problem with your SlingCatcher, it's actually a simple problem with your Slingbox configuration. You just have to go to where the Slingbox is located (usually, this is your home network). Next, on a computer on that network, you have to configure remote viewing manually. The easiest way is to use our online network assistant, and there's an article on how to use it. Just use the link on the right side of this page. Follow the steps on that page. That's all!

• Re: Sorry, SlingCatcher could not connect to this Slingbox due to a network error
          callanish Apprentice

One way to find out if he's actually done it right is to find out if the stream protocol is TCP and not Snatt or Relay. TCP is required to make the slingcatcher work with the slingbox. If it's not running TCP, you'll get an error message like the one you're seeing. In order to do that, you'll need to watch the sling stream from something else like a laptop....and if it's using windows, you can access the online sling webplayer, hold down ctrl on the keyboard and click the screen with your mouse or touchpad. A stat box will open up. Under stream protocol, you'll see either Snatt, relay or TCP. If it's snatt or relay, it hasn't been set up correctly for remote viewing with the slingcatcher. You can also get stats with the ipad's slingplayer by using four fingers touching the screen to bring up stats.You can also get these stats through android, but I've forgotten the sequence.

The point is you need to find out what kind of sling stream you are running. If you can rule that out, then the problem lies elsewhere. If the slingbox is streaming snatt, you'll need your father in law to either re-run the setup again or use the free remote software teamviewer installed on his computer allowing you to remotely take his computer over and letting you to run the sling setup from a remote location making sure your father in law has ran the remote viewing side to the setup correctly. That's where I'd start,

• Re: Sorry, SlingCatcher could not connect to this Slingbox due to a network error
            EmilyandYunus

Ive started with the same issues only today.  Slingbox working fine on the laptop but seeing the error message when connecting to the TV.

i have followed the steps detailed and thre protocol is showing "snatt".

The main slingplayer is in the UK and i'll have to entrust my in-laws to try and sort this in a simple manner.

Where is the link to the network assistant so i can get them to look at this.

Thanks in advance

EmilyandYunus

Ive started with the same issues only today.  Slingbox working fine on the laptop but seeing the error message when connecting to the TV.

i have followed the steps detailed and thre protocol is showing "snatt".

The main slingplayer is in the UK and i'll have to entrust my in-laws to try and sort this in a simple manner.

Where is the link to the network assistant so i can get them to look at this.

Thanks in advance

callanish Apprentice

In all honesty, if your in-laws aren't even remotely tech savvy, tracking down the issue might not be a simple matter. The first thing I would do is reboot the modem, router, and slingbox all at the same time. If the router is failing to port forward, the slingbox will revert back to snatt. This is what happened to me a while back where I rebooted everything, managed to receive a TCP stream to my slingcatcher, but after 72 hours, it kept reverting back to SNATT. Basically, I gave up on the router and eventually replaced it which solved my problem, but that might have nothing in common with your problem.

Do you have remote access to your router in the U.K; the one that's connected to the slingbox? That way, you could at least check the settings to see if UPNP and port forwarding are still activated and it could also allow you to do a remote reboot of the router.

If you don't, you're relying on your inlaws to basically re-run the slingbox sling setup again from a laptop......or like I've mentioned above, go to the teamviewer website. Create a free account and follow the procedure on how to get remote access to their computer from your end allowing you to re-run the slingbox setup from your location by accessing their laptop in the U.K to see if you've got a problem somewhere that can be solved by you. They might have to do a hard reboot on the slingbox by holding down the button the back of it for 30 seconds allowing you to do a fresh setup from scratch. Then you can re-run the sling setup. Since it's a solo or a Pro-HD, I would also have the slingplayer desktop software installed ( The old version ) not the new one that runs with the new M1. I've had the webplayer setup fail on me with a new setup and the desktop software work just fine. Good to have both installed if your in-laws will allow you to borrow their home computer for slingbox access.

The bottom line is as long as you're running SNATT, your slingcatcher is incapable of connecting to your slingbox. Tracking the problem down when you are as far away as you are makes it even more frustrating. Knowing I'm so far away from my slingbox, I've chosen to do two things. Have a laptop that can turn itself on remotely in case I need to alter settings and a power plug that's Wifi connected allowing me to reboot the slingbox / modem / router in case of an emergency. It's money well spent. Hope you manage to track down the problem.

slingbox desktop software

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/downloads-available-here/slingplayer-downloads/

teamviewer website. ( Free service )

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx