1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 23, 2014 1:40 PM by stanley.sling RSS

iPhone Airplay to Apple TV Users - Streaming Quality?

nobodyukno

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Slingbox 350 for viewing television at my 2nd home.  I have the iPhone app and I use Airplay to stream television to an Apple TV at my 2nd house.

I've had the Slingbox for about two weeks now and I cannot go more than 5 minutes without the stream buffering.  Is this normal and is what I should expect when using Airplay on an iPhone to stream to an Apple TV?

My download and upload speeds are more than adequate as far as speedtest is concerned.

Slingbox Location - Download 28mb / Upload 5mb

Apple TV Location - Download 12mb / Upload 4mb

Watching TV is almost unbearable with this buffering every 5 minutes or less. Do I need to open any ports on my router or anything? Does anyone have any positive experience with using Airplay on an iPhone to stream to an Apple TV? I have an iPad but don't want to shell out another $15 (ridiculous) unless I have to.

Thanks.

• Re: iPhone Airplay to Apple TV Users - Streaming Quality?
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello nobodyukno,

Here's a couple of questions to start off:

1. Is the iOS/firmware/software for your iPhone as well as the Apple TV fully up-to-date?
          2. What is the version of SlingPlayer for iPhone you are currently running?
          3. Are there multiple routers in the home with the Apple TV?
          4. Does the SlingPlayer stream fine on the iPhone when not Airplaying to the Apple TV?
          5. What is the Quality set to on the iPhone prior to the handoff to the Apple TV?

Also, it appears as though TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) is passing with your Slingbox therefore, you should not need to set up any port forwarding.

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team