9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2014 8:41 AM by frisson RSS

Slingbox 350 Component No Video No Audio?

msxo

Hi

Today received hdmi to component converter and first to see if the  converter working,  tried directly from sat receiver HDMI---> IN  Converter ---> Output Component to TV and everything was ok.

But with slingbox is not working no video no audio only black screen with lines check the img below.

With rca cable (audio+video) everything s ok. I dont know what is going wrong with component.

Thank you

http://oi62.tinypic.com/rsacxw.jpg

• Re: Slingbox 350 Component No Video No Audio?
          timfr

Also have the same problem in UK

New Slingbox 350 arrived 2 days ago and I have bought an HDMI to Composite cable.

All connected up but on set up system says "no viedo"

Tried resetting the box but still no good.

I am trying to set up using a new LG Blu Ray/Freeview box that has HDMI only output.

Have not got out the old Sony DVD/Freeview box that also has HDMI output, still no good.

But Sony box still has old fashioned Scart output, so connected the provided Scart - Video/Audio cables and Bingo ! system works fine.

Is it that the Slingbox 350 is an obsolete piece of kt and cannot accept HDMI to composite input ?

If so, they should make this clear in their product info

T59Sihz072

Hi timfr,

I'd be surprised if a HDMI to composite(SD like scart) or component(analog Hi-def) cable on its own would work as your most likely find your require an adator to convert he HDMI signal and form the HDCP encrypted handshake for those HD channels.

The coverters can be a little expensive but the picture differnence is worth it and also allows you to keep a Hi-def picture on the TV you probably have rigged up to the Freeview box, rather than the Standard Def picture your getting from the Scart/composite connection at the moment.

I posted a while back about how I configured my Virgin V+ HD box that only had HDMI and SCART out via the component connections. This might be of some help or at least offer some ideas?

https://community.sling.com/message/102884#26782

Hope this helps?

alanrichey42 Master
                Also have the same problem in UK

New Slingbox 350 arrived 2 days ago and I have bought an HDMI to Composite cable.

All connected up but on set up system says "no viedo"

This is a bit of a confusing post,   The thread is talking about HDMI > Component but you mention HDMI > Composite.   I must admit I have no experience of that, and it seems odd as HDMI is digital but composite is analog and completely different.   And I don't see any gain to be had because, as you say, a SCART to composite works perfectly, although just SD.

If you actually meant an HDMI > Component cable (Orange/Gree/Blue) then you have wasted your money I'm afraid.  They just do not work,  Again, HDMI is digital, the Slingbox uses analog component.    The laws of physics dictate a cable could not do that.  See my other reply for what you actually need.

stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello msxo,         

The most probable cause of this error is that the HDMI port on the set-top box is still being subject to HDCP despite the fact you are using an HDMI-Component converter. Other than HDCP being the root cause, it is possible that the HDMI-Component converter is transmitting the video resolution in a format that is incompatible with the Slingbox 350. The Slingbox 350 only supports HD component inputs at either 720p or 1080p (30fps). For more information regarding these possible causes, check out the articles linked below:

Hope this helps!

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

frisson

Same problem here.  Sky+ HD 1TB-1080i HDMI-component converter-slingbox 350-slingbox pro. There is video there on the 350, but it is horribly scrambled as though it is misreading the interlaced signal. The passed-through component signal works fine on my old non-HD slingbox pro.  Composite works fine, but I bought this for HD so isn't an option.

The documentation that Stanley posted clearly states that the SB350 should work fine with the 1080i/50 connection.  I tried outputting at 720P and no signal is detected at all.

Is it a dodgy slingbox then?  The 350 is new out of the box today.  Some advice really appreciated here as I'm starting to regret my slingplayer for windows mobile and ipad purchases now.

At the moment the 350 is being significantly outperformed by the pro and I'd like to chase a refund of both slingplayer apps and the box itself if I can't get it to push HD from the most popular satellite set top box in the UK.

alanrichey42 Master
                        Same problem here.  Sky+ HD 1TB-1080i HDMI-component converter-slingbox 350-slingbox pro.

You don't say what sort of converter you are using.  If it's just a cable, forget it, they are a rip-off, they do not work.  If you paid less than £100 for it (as I did for mine) you will find it will work perfectly on non-HDCP signals.   If you want to view HDCP encrypted  signals, and I think all of the Sky channels have this protection, then you have to get a converter that also strips away the HDCP signal as well.   The only one that users on this forum have found that really works is the HD Fury.  And that is expensive.

You can't blame Sling for this, it is a concious decision by TV providers to prevent people streaming or recording their HD content on external devices.  If Sling tried to get around this they would find themselves in court in seconds.   So you have to rely on third-party devices.

frisson

It was a cheapish HDMI to component box - I have ordered another from Amazon which is known to work and costs a little more, but not HDFury more.

The strangest thing here though (which you would have understood if you read my post a little more carefully)  is that passing through the component signal to my pro worked fine but the same signal wasn't correctly processed by the 350.  So one HDMI to component converter had one success and one failure on different slingboxes.  This doesn't suggest that it is HDCP causing the problem, unless the 350 includes tighter HDCP restrictions somehow.

It seems that the newer boxes are less tolerant of a slightly ropey component signal.  It certainly made fault finding a bit of a head scratcher.

alanrichey42 Master
                                It was a cheapish HDMI to component box - I have ordered another from Amazon which is known to work and costs a little more, but not HDFury more.

Please feedback how you get on, I know many of us would like to find an HDCP-compliant converter that is cheaper than the HDFury.

is that passing through the component signal to my pro worked fine but the same signal wasn't correctly processed by the 350.  So one HDMI to component converter had one success and one failure on different slingboxes.  This doesn't suggest that it is HDCP causing the problem, unless the 350 includes tighter HDCP restrictions somehow.

Afraid that makes no sense to me.   A component input is a component input, as laid down by the international specification.   I can think of no reason why the boxes should be different.   Certainly my 'cheapish' converter will not pass Sky signals to my HD-Pro.  A mystery