5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2014 9:16 AM by kevin.sling RSS

roku slingplayer crashes

bsaleik

I just bought the slingplayer app for android, and downloaded the slingplayer app for my roku. All works well . . . it connects to my slingplayer on my Galaxy s3, then I hit the button to sling it to my roku, and that works great. I even like the fact you can multitask on your phone while streaming. But after about 10 minutes the slingplayer on roku crashes. Happens every time. After reading up this seems to be a common problem with no solution. What gives?

• Re: roku slingplayer crashes
          kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello bsaleik,

What this sounds like is the Internet Viewing was not configured correctly for connected devices.  It may work fine on your mobile device but if the TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) is not passing in the home router, this could cause the connected device (ROKU) to disconnect itself once the handoff is made.

This is what I recommend you to do:

1. Be at the home location of the Slingbox
          2. Go to setup on slingbox.com on a computer on the same network as the Slingbox
          3. Select "Get Started"
          4. Select "Set Up Internet Viewing"

The following image is what you should see for the "Set Up Internet Viewing":

Setup.JPG

If this fails or states almost complete, you will have to manually port forward your home router with the IP address of the Slingbox.  You can find your router information from the following website:

Once there, select your routers brand name.  After this, the site will try to sell you something but just close this out by selecting the "Close [X]" in the upper right hand side of the screen.

Once this is done you can then select the model number of the router.  Once this is selected, scroll down to the word Slingbox and select Slingbox.  This will now give you instructions on how to port forward your router.

After you follow the steps, go ahead and run the "Set Up Internet Viewing" again to see this step passes.

Hope this helps!!!

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

vafaustine

Hi, Kevin:

I tried using your suggestion, because I too am experiencing connectivity issues when using my Slingplayer App for Android Phone.

However, when I tried to configure the internet, as you described, from my Android Phone, it says "you must download the Android App" and then redirects me to the Google Play Store.

When I try your suggestion on my laptop, as soon as it finds my Slingbox, it redirects me to watch. So I can never click on Internet Viewing.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello vafaustine,

These steps are required to be done from a computer only.  That is why the phone was not working.

You need to go to setup.slingbox.com on a computer (Windows or MAC) that is on the same network as the Slingbox.  If you are not at the home location, this cannot be done.

Were you at home were the Slingbox is located when you tried on your laptop?

Awaiting your Response!!!

Kevin

vafaustine

Hi, Kevin:

Yes, was at home when I tried to follow your steps from my laptop. It is on the same network as my Slingbox. Each time I click "Get Started" it connects to the feed from my Slingbox. I never get the option to click "Set Up Internet Viewing."

I tried this in Google Chrome browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Valerie

kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello again vafaustine,

After review of your account, I noticed your Slingbox is a Slingbox 350, is that correct?

If so, that is the reason that setup.slingbox.com is directing you to the newwatch.slingbox.com.

Most common connection and disconnection issues are occurring because the TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) has failed in the home router for the Slingbox (the router the Slingbox is connected to).  Please have a look at the following article below for more information:

Once the IP address of the Slingbox and port number are located, the required steps are to enter the Default IP address (Gateway Address) of the router into the URL address bar indicated below:

Ipaddresses.JPG

• 192.168.XXX.XXX is just an example Default IP address

Every router is different, so you will have to go into the router settings and look for port forwarding.  You will have to open the port that was listed in the network settings of the Slingbox with the IP address of the Slingbox there.

If you still cannot find the port forwarding options, you can find most router information at the following site:

Once there, select your routers brand name.  After this, the site will try to have the user purchase the program but just close this out by selecting the "Close [X]" in the upper right hand side of the screen.

Once this is done you can then select the model number of the router.  Once this is selected, scroll down to the word Slingbox and select Slingbox.  This will now give you instructions on how to port forward your router.  Please ignore the port number information, use the port you got from the network settings of the Slingbox indicated from the article "What if the automatic router setup doesn't work?".

If you are still not able to port forward correctly, give Sling Media Technical Support a call.  You can find the number from the following link below:

Hope this helps!!!

Kevin