6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2014 1:09 PM by Jason.G.Sling RSS

Will newwatch.slingbox.com work with SB 500 after Sling TV update?

tsd

I see in the M1 thread that newwatch.slingbox.com does not work with the M1 and there are a lot of upset people.

Slingbox M1 is compatible only with the new Slingplayer for Desktop and Slingplayer for Mobile applications.

Please download the desktop application here: http://www.sling.com/Products/SlingplayerApps.aspx.

At this time, there are no plans for support of Slingbox M1 on newwatch.slingbox.com.

Regards,

Brett W.

PM @ Sling Media

https://community.sling.com/thread/27897

I see that there is going to be a Desktop player for the Sling TV.

Will the update for the Slingbox 500 to Sling TV also result in newwatch.slingbox.com not working and you will need to DL the Desktop player to view your updated Slingbox 500?

• Re: Will newwatch.slingbox.com work with SB 500 after Sling TV update?
          alanrichey42 Master

As far as I know the change to 'Sling TV' is simply a name change and the hardware is identical.  As such there should not be a problem.   As an aside, how do people configure the M1 video inputs if they can't use newwatch ?   As far as I know the setup system is not included in the Desktop player or the mobile apps.

ferguspa Apprentice

The SlingPlayer for iPhone app has a sizable button in the Directory section to set up a new Slingbox M1.  Also, per this page:

"To set up your Slingbox M1 from your iPad, iPhone, or Android tablet or phone, please visit the respective app store and purchase the latest version of Slingplayer.

You can also set up your Slingbox M1 from a Mac or PC. Just download the free Slingplayer for Desktop and you're on your way!"

alanrichey42 Master
                  You can also set up your Slingbox M1 from a Mac or PC. Just download the free Slingplayer for Desktop and you're on your way!"

Interesting.   The players must sense the M1 becasue when I run the Desktop Player there is no sign of any setup/Configuration menu if I log on to other boxes.

Sling seem to have got themselves in a right tangle over this .    Incompatibilities between their products are increasing daily

ferguspa Apprentice

In the vein of "shifting capabilities", this post raises some eyebrows (italics mine, rest of formatting is original):

To set up Wi-Fi on a new (and unconfigured) Slingbox M1, please plug the power cable into the Slingbox. Be sure the not plug in Ethernet, otherwise Wi-Fi may not work properly.

It'll take around 90 seconds for it to fully start up and be ready for Wi-Fi setup. At this point, you can open up the Slingplayer Desktop and you should see a Slingbox named something like "Slingbox_1234". Next to this, it should say "Setup" and you can begin to set up the box. Note: You need Wi-Fi to be enabled on your computer and Ethernet unplugged for this to work properly.

Realizing that I'm wandering far off-topic, so I'll stop posting further off-topic items in this thread.

tsd

Once the update arrives it will no longer be a Slingbox 500 it will be a Sling TV. Hardware is the same but the firmware update may make the newwatch.slingbox.com site unusable as per the M1. We do not know.

Jason.G.Sling Newbie

Hello tsd,

With the new update to the Slingbox 500 this will not make the browser not support the Sling TV. This firmware upgrade will be changing some steps with the on TV interface but will not make it imcompatable with the website viewing. At this time the Desktop Slingplayer software is only for M1 and will hopefully add compablity for older slingbox models in the furture.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Group