8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2014 12:08 PM by mbial RSS

Just got a Sling Box M1, installed the Sling Player and simply does not seem to work?

pgurniak

Just got a Sling Box M1, installed the Sling Player and simply does not seem to work?   Get a window with "Sling Player" in the middle but nothing else.

• Re: Just got a Sling Box M1, installed the Sling Player and simply does not seem to work?
          AMCSquared

Same here.  I am running on my MacBookPro and have the same problem.  On my Mac Mini, it works fine (the screen should ask you for your login info).  Once you input the correct info, you can then connect to M1.

• Re: Just got a Sling Box M1, installed the Sling Player and simply does not seem to work?
            peet1

Slingbox these messages are weeks old and you've not responded.  I have the exact same issue on 3 seperate macs (2010 macbook pro, 2011 macmini, 2012 macmini). Where is the fix? Where is the acknowledgement of the issue?

Peet

brett.sling Newbie

Hello pgurniak,

Thank you for posting on the Sling Answers Forum. We apologize for the issues you are experiencing using the Slingplayer for Desktop on Mac application.

To help troubleshoot the problem, please provide what version of Mac OS X you are running on your system. The Desktop application supports the latest two versions - OS X 10.8.x (Mountain Lion) and 10.9.x (Mavericks).

This sounds simple - but you can also try uninstalling the application and reinstalling here: http://download.slingmedia.com/SlingplayerDesktop/Mac/5.0.30/SlingplayerDesktop-5.0.30.dmg.

Thanks,

Brett, PM @ Sling

peet1

All runnig a fully up to date verson of 10.9.4. 

System Software Overview:

System Version:     OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Kernel Version:     Darwin 13.3.0

Boot Volume:     HardDrive

Boot Mode:     Normal

Secure Virtual Memory:     Enabled

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (which in the case of a copy-to-install app is a very, very, very long shot that it would do anything). I've deleted preferences and the Application Support folders.

This is the only logging that seems to be provided by the app (2 launches):

Creating Application Cache with manifest http://apollo.slingbox.com/desktop/index/manifestApplication Cache Checking eventfastConnectId=null typeof=objectNot in fast connect modeFri Aug 15 2014 12:00:19 GMT-0600 (MDT)##############  WIFI Plugin onControlInitialize fired!! ############################## DATE & TIME --- Fri Aug 15 2014 12:00:20 GMT-0600 (MDT) ################################ USER AGENT --- Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.59 Safari/537.36 ################################ APP VERSION --- 5.0.14.157 ################status -- OnControlInitialize, eventData - undefinedCreating Application Cache with manifest http://apollo.slingbox.com/desktop/index/manifestApplication Cache Checking eventfastConnectId=null typeof=objectNot in fast connect modeFri Aug 15 2014 12:01:30 GMT-0600 (MDT)##############  WIFI Plugin onControlInitialize fired!! ############################## DATE & TIME --- Fri Aug 15 2014 12:01:30 GMT-0600 (MDT) ################################ USER AGENT --- Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.59 Safari/537.36 ################################ APP VERSION --- 5.0.14.157 ################status -- OnControlInitialize, eventData - undefined

peet1

I've opened a case with Sling, you both should do the same.  Please reference case number 00897013. it'll hopefully save you some time. It took me just about 45 minutes to get the nice tier one fellow to escalate this obvious bug.

Cheers.Peet

peet1

@pgurniak and @AMCSquared what kind of router do you have on your network?  If it has any sort of active ips/ids like the snort that's bundled with Kerio Control or any other ips/ids thats using the snort defiitions, it turns out that the Slingplayer Desktop is misbehaving and sending some malformed packets that are being dropped by my router.

If I disable this security feature, it works. I of course will not be disabling this feature for an app that is not at all critical.

Just an FWI it's snort rule 2008066 ET MALWARE Blank User-Agent (descriptor but no string)

I'm more than a bit underwhelmed by both the new software and the new hardware.

Cheers.Peet

mbial

I am also experiencing problems with Desktop SlingPlayer on Mac OSX.  I am able to access my new M1 without any issues using windows machines on the same network, but my iMac and Mac Mini simply will not connect.  This is NOT a network-related issue as I can access the M1 from my iPad, iPhone, and windows PC.  This is only affecting OSX.  The Mac Mini is running the latest version of Mavericks, while the iMac is running the latest beta of Yosemite 10.10 - neither is working and I know that Mavericks is supported.  I have attached a screen capture of the error I receive on the Mavericks Mac Mini (Error P-16).  Please advise!  Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 2.14.43 PM.png

mbial

A quick update -- I have opened case #00897579, but the support agent refused to escalate the issue because she could not reproduce it on her end.  Being that this matter has persisted for nearly 3 weeks and affects a number of us, I would hope that Sling is actually investigating the problem.  I kept a copy of the transcript of my support chat because it was absolutely ridiculous...Sling doesn't actually even contact you after they close a case!  if anyone wishes to see the borderline-absurd chat, I'll post it here.  Good luck to everyone running OSX...even though it works in Sling's labs - it doesnt work in the real world!