7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2014 8:20 PM by stockpickwiz RSS

Doesn't recognize channels higher than 99 (so no HD)

stockpickwiz

I have a PRO-HD and am using standard coax cable (analog).  My cable company broadcasts all HD channels (basically all local network, PBS, etc) between 700-720.  I only receive about 10 or so HD channels, some are 720, some are 1080.  When I scan using my TV (which takes a long time, just like a detailed scan on my Slingbox), I can pickup ALL channels.  The Slingbox goes through the process and basically gives me all analog channels up to 99, so of course the remote it puts up only accepts 2 digits for channel selection.  How can I get it to acknowledge the HD channels in the higher range?  I would like to view my network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc) remotely in HD!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Doesn't recognize channels higher than 99 (so no HD)
          kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello stockpickwiz,

Had this ever worked before in your case?

For what I am understanding, you have just a coaxial cable from the wall directly to the Slingbox, is that correct? 

If so, the Coaxial connection is just an analog input.  For the Slingbox to just pick up the the analog channels and not the HD channels, the Slingbox is scanning correctly.

In order to see the higher channels, you may have to get a cable box or a digital converter so you you can run the Component Cables (Red, Green, Blue video, and Red, White audio) to your Slingbox.  This connection is the HD connection. This will being the HD channels into the Slingbox.

Hope this helps!!!

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

stockpickwiz

Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.  As stated in the original post, my Sony TV going through the detailed scanning picks up all unencrypted channels including the ones that my cable company outputs in HD, 700-720.  However, after a detailed scan by my PRO-HD, only 2 digit channels are shown.  (You can't type a 3 digit code into the remote).  I just thought that if my TV could pickup those HD channels, even though they are on a higher channel number, my Slingbox would also.  I didn't want to have to purchase a separate tuner when the Slingbox info says that it can pickup all unencrypted QAM (HD) as well as NTSC (standard) channels that are broadcast over coax cable.  This is not the case.  I would love to be able to watch all the local network programming in HD, but my Slingbox does not allow it (or I haven't figured out how to configure it to do so after vigorous research.)

"When using an over-the-air antenna or QAM digital cable, you get a  generic remote (just a keypad) for changing channels. The SlingPlayer  pulled in a current program guide for the over-the-air channels, but not  for the QAM channels (the ones you get when just plugging your cable  line into the Slingbox's RF jack). When using both configurations,  however, we were still able to have access to plenty of digital and HD  channels."

The problem with selecting digital instead of analog is that the program guide now pulls in hundreds of channels and all above 99 are encrypted and useless, and on digital the HD channels are 1000 and higher (again encrypted).  So you still cannot select 700-720 in the program guide, even though it is broadcast over the coax in clear QAM.

In other words, Kevin, my 8 year old TV can pickup NTSC and QAM, but a 2012 Slingbox with a built-in NTSC/QAM/ATSC tuner can't?  Just doesn't make sense.

kevin.sling Apprentice

Hey stockpickwiz,

The Sony TV is designed to pick up and display those channels.  The TV can pick up frequencies of both analog and digital channels.

The Pro-HD, through the Coaxial connection, is not designed to pick up frequency stations due to the input is only analog, not digital.  When the Slingbox was manufactured if digital was popular then, the system would have been designed to pick those channels up.  Digital is on a different frequency going through the coaxial cable.  If only 2 digital stations is all that the Slingbox can pick up, then that's all it can pick up.

But if you really want all the digital channels through the Slingbox, unfortunately you will have to use the component input of the Slingbox.  This input mirrors the device it is connected to so the channels can be displayed.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

stockpickwiz

Kevin,

Thank you so much for explaining exactly why the PRO-HD can't pickup ANY HD channels through coax.  Channels through cable use QAM (digital) and the box is only looking for the NTSC (analog) frequencies. I suppose the only way that I could view those 700 level channels is to split the cable signal yet again and run a cheap HDTV tuner and hook that output to the Component input on the Slingbox.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't I just unplug the coax input from the Slingbox, connect it to an inexpensive HDTV tuner and receive ALL the channels (although I know that I would then be forced to use the remote IR transmitter to change the channels on the external HDTV tuner) and connect the output of that tuner to the component input of the Slingbox?

Again, I really appreciate your help and currently don't use any of the IR transmitters with my current setup & have never even looked into purchasing a seperate HDTV tuner (although people tell me they are cheap and work well).  Any recommendations?

Edited to Add:

It just seems really strange that a TV manufactured in 2006 knows to scan for NTSC & QAM over cable, but an "advanced TV device" manufactured after 2009 doesn't?   [Does Not Compute, LOL]