12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2014 10:15 AM by 0Mackman RSS

M1 Port question

billarnaiz Newbie

Hi all,

Does the M1 setup allow for manual network port configuration?

Thanks,

• Re: M1 Port question
          Dave2SSRS Newbie

No it does not... Yet.  Hopefully they realize how important this feature is and put it back in the firmware!  A streaming device absolutely needs to be able to have the port set manually!

0Mackman Newbie

I have nothing ported on this model and mines streams perfectly when I'm away from home and my upload speed isn't great.Only about 500 kbs to as high as 1meg and I stream in HD settngs using android devices or Windows 8 pcs and I get like 800 to 1000 kbs.

It just works.

Dave2SSRS Newbie

I don't think you understand what we are refering to 0MackMan.

0Mackman Newbie

Are you talking about port forwarding or what?

The question was do the M1 allow you set your own port like the old Slingboxes did.The answer to that is no.No ports are forwarded on my router and I stream the M1 outside of my home network.

Dave2SSRS Newbie

Correct....  we can stream outside of the home network, however, we can't behind strict firewalls which is why we have the requirement for manual port settings.  Sure i can stream to my phone through a wide open carrier's network, however, when I am behind a strict network I need to be able to adjust the port as needed or set it to use a port that is often allowed through most networks (23 for example).  I will never have telnet setup at the house, but it is great to use that port for streaming because most networks let it through.

0Mackman Newbie

You're correct.I didn't look at it that.

I just got a Vulkano off of ebay so I can record my live tv shows to my devices or pc,but I can't seem to get it to work outside of my home network.I know the ports are forwarded correctly on my router,but it doesnt work.Well if I stream with my data connect through T-Mobile then it works away from home,but I have a unlimited data with AT&T it doesn't stream outside.I made a static ip,forwarded the ports,and nothing seems to work when using the AT&T data connection.Do you know of a soluion I can do to get it to work.The Vulkano sofware always fail to see the ports are open.I had this same problem with my Slingbox Solo although it did work outside the home network even though the setup sofware never saw the ports were open.I have a Cradlepoint router with a AT&T usb modem and AT&T cellphones.

Dave2SSRS Newbie

Just make sure you are forwarding correctly.  For instance, on Plex my external port I listen on is 8085, however, on the inside Plex listens on 38400, so on the router I make sure to route any traffic that comes in from the outside on port 8085 to my internal plex server on 38400.

I tried to do the same with the M1 but you can't force the fat client (or web client once they enable it) to use a specific port because they got all user friendly on the interface and (for a while now) have had it contact their servers via your slingmedia.com login to find out what IP the device is on.  Nice for the avg. everyday user but sucks for those of us who have reasons not to do things the standard way.   If they would just add in the ability to the slingmedia login to also pull in the port setting (configured on the sling setup - if we had it) this would alllll go away and work just fine for everyone!

I don't see this device as an everyday user device anyway.  Anyone who wants to do what sling devices are made to do is a techie to some degree.

It is one of those things were you over-engineered the technology and effectively locked out a handful of the useful features.  Hopefully they start to realize this after reading their forums and begin to make the needed updates.

These type devices cannot be developed behind closed doors... you MUST include the user community in the design and technical aspects of the product to get that one product that everyone MUST have sitting in their media room.

-Dave

0Mackman Newbie

I agree.You make some valite points.

I don't understand quite what you want me do,as far as what listening port.I don't have it hooked right now,but the next time I have it hooked up I'll contact you.M1 is hooked up right now.The ports were forwarded correctly because I did get it to work with my T-Mobile connection and sometime if you unplug the unit and plug it baĉkup in it will stream through my AT&T data connection,but once you restart the app it want work.It works with the T-Mobile without a problem.