4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2014 5:42 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Reluctant to purchase / lack of technical and sales help.

Blikzum

Hello all.  Is there a number to call to have questions answered?  If there is, I can't find it.   My P/C in Seattle has a Windows Vista operating system 32 bit.. My P/C in Philadelphia also has Windows Vista 32 bit. The HD DVR is in Seattle, and I would like to be able to watch DVR recordings on my hard wired computer / TV in PA. I don't know which Slingbox I need, or if any of them would even work with my older PC hardware? Again, all that I would like to be able to do is watch those recordings. Nothing else.     Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Re: Reluctant to purchase / lack of technical and sales help.
          alanrichey42 Master

This is probably the best place to ask questions.  Here are my initial thoughts:

1.  The PC in Seatlle is irrelevant.  That will only be used for the initial setup and a 20-yr old PC running Win95 would do

2.   Any Slingbox will do what you want.  If I was in your position I would probably go for a used Solo off E-bay,  But if you wanrt to watch HD (and have an upload speed in Seattle of at least 5Mb) and your DVR has only an HDMI output you will need a 500.

3.   Watching on a TV at PA is difficult as the Sling system is really designed for watching on a PC or Mobile device.  if you want to watch on a TV you will need an additional third-party box suxch as Roku or WDTV or AppleTV.

Feel free to follow these up

Blikzum

Thanks Alan. You / this is great.  I would like to watch the recordings in HD, so I have to ask "500" what? The HD DVR in Seattle is connected wireless, or so I'm told.   I will check on the upload speed.   It was my intention to purchase a new P/C with a large monitor for use in PA, so perhaps I'll be able to watch those games in something close to HD, and forget about watching on my TV in PA.. The new P/C would be hard wired into the router and it also has wireless capabilities.  Sould I be concerned about my download speed in PA?     Sorry about all the questions.

You can probably tell that I've recently crawled out of a cave and into the 21 century. Thanks. Richard

alanrichey42 Master

No problems

The 2 current Slingbox models are the 350 and the 500 and the 500 is the one with HDMI support.  They are replacements for the Solo and the Pro-HD, both of which are still very capable boxes.

DVR connection method irrelevant

And download speed in PA is not really important unless you are on dialup   It is the upload speed at the Slingbox location which is normally the bottle neck.

Blikzum

Thanks Alan.

I think I'm getting there, but only because of people like you.    Best regards. Richard