13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2014 4:36 PM by ry6VhEs7v9 RSS

New M1 vs 350?

signatures Newbie

Is the new M1 better than the 350? Is it worth it to upgrade?  anyone have any info?  thanks, dave

• Re: New M1 vs 350?
          kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello signatures,

Here are the features of a Slingbox M1:

• Watch and control your live and recorded TV shows anywhere, anytime with this WiFi-enabled box - in up to Full HD.
          • No blocked shows or games on any device, in any location. Watch your favorite shows and sports on all the channels you subscribe to, even when you're overseas.
          • Never miss a final episode or live event. View them when you want, where you want, and become the spoiler in your social group.
          • Play and schedule DVR recordings.
          • Watch on a second TV anywhere via Apple TV® and Roku®.
          • Features WiFi, Ethernet, composite and component in/out connections.
          • Absolutely no monthly fees.
          • New and inproved Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0 software to setup and watch the Slingbox

You can find out more features and specifications on the following link:

Here are the features of a Slingbox 350:

·         Watch in up to 1080p Full HD resolution on Watch on Sling.com

·         Component/composite IN and pass-through (with shared RCA L/R audio)

·         Integrated and external IR emitters

·         Ethernet connection

·         Improved set-up experience Remote viewing on multiple screens (smartphones*, tablets*, PC/Mac, with connected devices*, on AppleTV* or Roku*)

·         No monthly fees

Hope this helps!!!

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

signatures Newbie

thanks for the update Kevin. It seems for me maybe not enough for me to update my box....I just stream my direct tv to my shop...just curious on the last thing in the list:

new and improved slingplayer for desktop 5.0 software?  is that different then what i use now on the website to watch?  have to check which sofware i currently use? my firmware is  1.4.32, and hardware says 1.1.0. thanks, dave

kevin.sling Apprentice

Hey signatures,

Yes, the new Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0 is the new software for just the Slingbox M1.

Hope this helps!!!

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

signatures Newbie

well not sure if i would benefit from that 5.0 unless i had more bandwidth on my upload to streaming  (meaning switch to cable from my uverse)....maybe i will upgrade in the future. thanks, dave

ry6VhEs7v9

Well Kevin, I have owned a Slingbox since the AV. I now own the 500, 350 and the Pro-HD. I also loved the legacy Slingplayer Desktop on the AV, SOLO and Pro-HD. I have to tell you that I HAVE installed the new Desktop 5.0 app and it seems to work fine with all three of my Slingboxes. I espwcially love the option to keep Slingplayer on top of all windows. The only glitch I found so far is that you cannot connect to the other Slingboxes once you connect to the initial one (disconnect then connect to another, not happening). It also freezes up once in a while. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. I don't think it would take much tweeking to get this app working for most Slingboxes soon, I hope. Shouldn't take the IT dept. to work out  the kinks. ;-) Let me know when we can update our 350 and 500.

nitecourt

I'm hoping it will get better with time but for me the M1 seems like a step backwards.  I just came back to Slingbox. Years ago I had a Slingbox AV and I seem to remember with the desktop software I could make the screen a small square and turn on skin mode so just the video would show and stay on top of all other windows.  And it could watch via the browser.  Now I can't watch via the browser, not supported, and the new desktop software does not seem as full featured as the old software circa around the old AV. I purchase the M1 locally on the day it was release figuring since it was new it would have better features than the old model and it would be supported longer.  Now I wonder if I made the right choice.  

OvCollyer Apprentice

They've been gradually dumbing-down their Slingplayer viewing products for years now.

It's a shame as the hardware keeps getting better eg the 350/500/M1 supporting HD and 50/60fps refresh rates, yet they keep removing features from the software.

In my opinion the software peaked when they released the last version of the Windows legacy desktop player and the best connected device for viewing was the SlingCatcher.

Since then the Slingboxes have got more capable but the viewers have become progressively worse IMO, and the best ones as mentioned above simply abandoned.

The exception is maybe the the iOS/Android players though they've had plenty of ups and downs, features like Airplay being present for a year, then removed, then they denied it ever existed, then announced again as a new feature!

WDTV, Google TV etc search around and see the issues people have had with the Slingplayer on those platforms.

I suspect they think the key to capturing some sort of mainstream market is to continually simplify the Slingplayers. But I think they overestimate the appeal of their product - it's niche, brilliant for live TV viewing, sports etc, but these days there are all manner of other ways of watching non-live content so I don't think it'll ever be a huge market. They'd be better off making a more feature-rich Slingplayer like the old desktop player because I think their audience is a bit more 'hardcore' than they'd like to believe.

All IMHO of course

greenythebeast

Does the M1 support 1080p60 over component? I know the 350 doesn't support that and was just curious if that is still the case.

jlubin
                          • Guest Access was REMOVED from the M1, is available on the 350
                          • Web broweser viewing was REMOVED from the M1, is available on the 350

I just found these out after purchasing the M1.