7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2014 5:46 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Accessing Sky via Slingbox 350/500 in UAE

scott_sanders

Hi,

I'm moving to Dubai soon, and I'm keen to have access to my Sky TV channels whilst I'm there, and the Slingbox looks like a good way to achieve this. I've read a fair bit about setting this up, but the one question I can't seem to find an answer to is, can I set up a Slingbox with a Sky+ HD set-top box, without a TV connected to the Sky+ HD box (via the Slingbox obviously) in the UK?

The reason I'm asking this question is, I've read a few articles that state that you have to use the HD composite input/outputs, not the HDMI input/outputs, as HDCP renders HDMI useless, however, I've also read that if you haven't got a TV connected/on at the Slingbox end, no signal will be sent from the Sky+ HD box.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case, as ideally, I'll be leaving a Sky+ HD box, a Slingbox (haven't decided between the 350 or 500, but that's another question I guess), and a boradband router (with decent upstream/downstream bandwidth) in my property in the UK, but I obviously don't want to have a TV connected if not absolutely necessary. I assume that I'll then be able to connect a laptop to a TV, with a suitable SlingPlayer installed and watch/control my Sky TV channels in real-time.

So, if anyone can offer any advice, it will be very much appreciated, as I've never had the chance to use this technology before, so I want to ensure that I can achieve what I want to achieve, before investing.

Thanks,

Scott.

• Re: Accessing Sky via Slingbox 350/500 in UAE
          alanrichey42 Master

Interesting question, although you actually mean SD from the composite output, not HD.    I run that system and I regularly watch my Sky box from a remote location with my TV in standby, but I have to admit I have never tried running it with the TV disconnected (I use the HDMI output to drive the TV).

My gut reaction is that it will not be a problem, but I am actually at a remote location now watching the Sky Box so cannot physically disconnect the TV to check.  Where did you see that this effect might happen ?   I have never heard of it.

scott_sanders

Thanks for your reply Alan!

I read somewhere whilst investigating this, that modern TV's will turn on automatically, as soon as an output signal is detected, and that in some cases, certain set top boxes would stay in standby if they didn't detect a TV. I've had a look to see if I can find the link again, but haven't managed to find it - you know what it's like when first looking into something - you tend to have far too much infiormation, before you filter it down to the useful stuff!

My gut said it shouldn't be a problem too, so I'm glad that you seem to think the same - would be nice to actually test it though!

With regard to your setup, is it similar to what I described in my earlier post, so Sky+ HD box connected to Slingbox via component cables (I'm assuming that you've tried using the HDMI connections, but Sky utilise HDCP to stop duplication?), and then Slingbox connected to a broadband router with decent upstream bandwidth (what bandwidth do you have, and do you get a decent picture whilst abroad?). How do you then view your Sky channels? Do you just view it through a SlingPlayer on a laptop, or do you connect it to a TV where possible? If so, how do you achieve this, and which player do you use?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott.

alanrichey42 Master
                  With regard to your setup, is it similar to what I described in my earlier post, so Sky+ HD box connected to Slingbox via component cables (I'm assuming that you've tried using the HDMI connections, but Sky utilise HDCP to stop duplication?), and then Slingbox connected to a broadband router with decent upstream bandwidth (what bandwidth do you have, and do you get a decent picture whilst abroad?). How do you then view your Sky channels? Do you just view it through a SlingPlayer on a laptop, or do you connect it to a TV where possible? If so, how do you achieve this, and which player do you use?

No, my  Sky+HD box does not have a component output, I am a bit surprised yours does have one as they stopped using them some years ago,  Basically Sky, like most TV Providers do not want you to be able to remotely record or stream their HD content.   So I use a SCART-RCA converter to drive the composite input on my Slingbox.   As I only use it to view remotely that is no big deal as my BT Internet connection only has an upload speed of 350Kb (I live in a remote area so fibre optic hasn't reached us yet) and you would need 2-3Mb upload speed to see HD.    Sling will tell you that 350Kb is nowhere near enough to stream but I find it perfectly acceptable.    It takes about 2-3 mins after connection to figure out how pathetic the speed is, but it then seems to compensate quite well.

I view it in various ways, mainly on a laptop or my iPad.   If I want to view it on my TV I either use my iPhone to drive a Roku box or I am lucky enough to still have a working Slingcatcher (Sling discontinued it a long time ago and like classic cars it is now an appreciating asset and although you can get them on E-Bay they are getting more expensive) and I can use that.

scott_sanders

Ahh OK, I may be confusing the Video & Audio L/R Outputs (yellow, white, & red respectively) for the component output - can you not use these connections with the Slingbox then, or is the Scart connection with the converter just a better quality output? I've got BT Infinity at home, so get a fairly decent upload speed, so do you know of an optimal configuration for the best quality picture if you have decent bandwidth?

I've read a bit about the Roku boxes, so may go for one of those... Do you know if Apple TV would do a similar job?

Thanks once again!

Scott.

alanrichey42 Master
                          Ahh OK, I may be confusing the Video & Audio L/R Outputs (yellow, white, & red respectively) for the component output - can you not use these connections with the Slingbox then, or is the Scart connection with the converter just a better quality output?

Those are composite outputs (SD).  Component outputs (HD) are Orange/Blue/Green.     And I don't have those either on my Sky+HD box.  It just has HDMI and 2 x SCART.   Hence the need to use a converter.   If you have those outputs then you are fine.

I've got BT Infinity at home, so get a fairly decent upload speed, so do you know of an optimal configuration for the best quality picture if you have decent bandwidth?

Not sure what you mean.   The configuraiton is what you get, I don't know how you think you can tweak it.

I've read a bit about the Roku boxes, so may go for one of those... Do you know if Apple TV would do a similar job?

Yes.   In fact I am thinking of getting one of those and the Roku box at my vacation home is very old and not supported by the iPhone app..