31 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2014 12:05 PM by ACC6087906 RSS

Google tv not working with sling box now?

Googletv

When I try to login to sling box via google tv spotlight tv app, it redirect me to the website home page of slingbox, and tell me that my browser didn't support the sling player... But I was watching for so long and all of a sudden it didn't work... Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks

• Re: Google tv not working with sling box now?
          retrodirective

same here. what is going down?!

callanish Apprentice

What is it specifically saying.....platform not supported? I just checked my Sony GS7 google tv box and it still runs the slingplayer, so my thought is in settings, under the hood, the user agent has been switched from default to something else. Like I said, I just checked my slingplayer app and it still works. Have you tried using the direct weblink within chrome without going through spotlight apps.

http://download.slingmedia.com/spcd/gtv/

averderau

In my case, I'm using a Sony TV with Google TV built in, and know that Slingbox.com is being redirected to the new web page sling.com, the slingplayer is not loading any more.

I guess SlingBox should change some scrypts to solve this new issue.

retrodirective

Thanks for the information. When I opened this page in Chrome and clicked the link in your post, it worked. Thank you.

callanish Apprentice

No problem. Assuming we continue to have a problem with the spotlight slingplayer app not working and where the direct weblink continues to work, I'd suggest putting the slingplayer app icon on your main menu page in googletv for easy access

When you click on the slingplayer weblink that I've provided above that starts up Chrome to get to the slingplayer weblink, press the menu button on your googletv remote. Select save, add to homescreen, press the home button on the googletv remote and go to all apps. You'll see a direct link icon for the slingplayer. Press the back button and then go to your main icon menu by pressing the home button again......if you aren't already there.. Hold down the center ( select) button on the remote ( the one in the middle of all the arrows ) on one of the apps on the main icon menu that you hardly use. You'll see the option to replace that app with another one. Arrow down to slingplayer and select it. There you'll see the Slingplayer icon in the main menu of your googletv box for easy access.

Even if the problem all comes down to a spotlight app issue and is eventually fixed, it can't hurt to have a direct link to the slingplayer app on the main google tv menu.

Googletv

Thank you for your help, mine is a Sony TV with Google TV build in.  It was working perfectly a week ago, and stop working yesterday.. The link you gave is working for me, and I have set the icon on my front page for easy access like you suggested .  Thank you so much... you really saved my day.....

c_lo

the link you provided worked and I thank you. Do you have any idea how to get the app to work properly instead of me having to come to this forum everytime I want to use my slingbox?

EuroTVLink.com Newbie

I can confirm that SlingPlayer is not working on Vizio and Netgear Neo TV boxes.

donluz

Same issue for me... Slingbox was working fine (haven't used in a couple of months).  Went to use it today and get the screen as you described, going through the "Spotlight" menu option.  Then I am told my device is not supported and cannot play.

So now per some update that Slingmedia did, I am spending an hour researching and trying to find resolution instead of watching tv on the devices for which I paid... fun.

Slingmedia - please post an update to the Slingbox app in the Spotlight section within the Sony device... sooner would be much better than later.

Thank you.

mcook442

same problem here with Spotlight on my Sony Internet player.

Kkjla

I am having the same problem and was flipping out at first. This looks like something that Slingbox should fix themselves. Is there some kind of update that needs to be run?!

TheBauer

i agree. Not working on Google TV.

Ahobden

The Slingbox website says that sling player only works on windows if you have the new M1 device which is available 7/20! Looks like this is a general screw up by Slingbox

callanish Apprentice

Everyone, please try my above advice as a temporary solution and integrate the slingplayer weblink into a menu icon within googletv. The slingplayer spotlight app isn't really an app; It's just a weblink to starting the slingplayer within chrome. The spotlight access obviously seems to be broken, but as a workaround, my suggestion at least works.

........as for the new M1 comment, what sling is saying is that initially the new desktop software for windows or mac will only work with the M1. Other slingbox's will be added in the future allowing them to eventually use this desktop software. Those slingbox's will continue to use the browser plugins until sling makes them available to work with the new desktop software. Unless the new desktop software allows you to tweak the slingbox setttings as the previous desktop software did with older sliingbox's, i'm not yet convinced it's bringing anything as flexible to the table as the old desktop software which allowed you to adjust streaming settings. Have to wait and see on that one.

samhornbrook

This is not helping me.  My netgear prime isn't working.  It won't connect to my slingbox and I don't have a menu button on my remote for my netgear.  Why can't I get direct tech help on here?

Henryvdwalt

Slingplayer doesn't work on Netgear's Neo Tv box as well and also not on my Chrome browser?  Any help?    

callanish Apprentice

Just a shot in the dark, but Instead of gtv at the end of the weblink, try

htttp://download.slingmedia.com/spcd/wdtv

The menu button I was referring to was for sony's google tv box since this original post was asked in the slingplayer for Sony Internet player forum. The procedure I was referring to wouldn't even apply to your neo box anyway if you can't even get it to connect. So, rather than just saying it isn't working, what specifics are coming up on the screen when you try to connect.

As for tech support on here, you'll find it's limited at best and non existent at worse. You'll get the canned response on how to fix it like reset your box, reset your slingbox, etc.., but as far as specifics, good luck. The only way you'll get hands on help is if you call up slingmedia, pay them for the privilege and hope that whomever you are talking to knows what they are talking about and will prioritize your case with sling's engineering team.

The thing is you don't know if sling is even working on a fix for these boxes since google tv and the neo line are basically discontinued products. H ell, the wdtv live is still being sold and there's a dropped connection problem after streaming for 30 seconds which has been going on for a while. No one from tech support has bothered to chime in with that problem. Roku seems to be getting all the love these days with its ipad and iphone apps that were just recently updated to work with the apps streaming in the background.

The point is all these problems could be due to the release of the M1 and the desktop software that will be used with it. Trust me when I say that when sling fix or do something new, something else breaks. Obviously this will be of no use to you if you continue to have problems with your neo box. I'm just saying when a product is discontinued by the manufacturer and sling has basically shown no interest in the upkeep of the connected device, don't expect too much assistance. Just hope that they actually care about it enough to at least fix the problem....hopefully sooner rather than later.

donluz

Hi folks!  Yes, I understand your frustration.  But... until Slingbox wakes up and helps us out with an update, there is an easy, slightly less convenient way to watch on the Sony device - just open the Chrome browser from the Home menu and go to the download URL as suggested by others.  This then takes you to the familiar "loading app/slingbox" message you get and you're on your way!

To Slingbox - your app is on the Sony device.  You must have negotiated that somehow and we users purchased in good faith.  You have a responsibility to provide timely updates, esp when YOU force an update with breaking changes to the service.  As you can see in this forum... it affects many people.  Your expedited action is both expected and appreciated.

Kkjla

Hi everyone, I seem to be having a new issue. When I click on the sling player link provided above, I get this error code 3. It reads "unable to connect to network. Please check that your network connection is working properly. Then try again." Not sure why this is popping up. If I connect from a PC it works fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ACC6087906

I'm having same issue.  Was away for several weeks and only using slingplayer on android and ios devices without issue.  Then get home and sony gtv won't connect.  Talk to help desktoday but they weren't able to correct issue.  I've tried the url posted but still get error.  Anyone have another suggestion since i bought this Sony gtv because it was a supported device and worked fine at the time.

castrait

I have 2 GTV boxes at my second home - both had the same issue...

Here's more detail on what worked for me (I'm doing this from memory so I'll get as close as I can):

1.  Using the GTV remote, press the "Home" button and then select the first option on the bottom to the left (All Apps).  Find the Chrome browser - circle w/ red green and yellow on the outside - blue dot on the inside.

2.  Launch the app and when it comes up, move the cursor into the address bar and type http://download.slingmedia.com/spcd/gtv/

3.  Press enter to go to this web page - the Slingbox App should launch, just as if you selected the app from Spotlight.  (If it doesn't, you probably have another issue - don't bother going any further until you can get this to work...)

4.  Assuming it does work, go back to Home and launch Chrome again - the address you typed will now be in the address bar.

5.  There's a button on the top right of the Chrome browser with several horizontal lines in it - Cursor to this button and click it.

6.  Select the Save or SaveAs option.  When you click it, it will bring up a pop-up that lets you edit the name of the App you are creating (I edited out a reference to Logitech - left it as SlingBox).

7.  Go to the All Apps page again and you should see Slingbox in the list.

8.  Press the home button again and when you're on the bottom icon bar, use the menu or options button on the remote (can't remember now, but it's one of the buttons around the big round set of buttons on the GTV remote).

9.  One of the menu options that comes up is something about customizing the menu bar/shortcuts.

10.  You'll see it go into edit mode - cursor over to an item you can replace or to an empty slot and click the select button on the remote.  The options are Replace, Add, Move, etc.

11.  Select Replace or Add and it will bring you to the Apps page where you can find the SlingBox App you created and select it..

12.  Now it should appear on your main Home Screen w/ the SlingBox Icon.

In addition to the above:

Since I use Slingbox pretty much exclusively on my TV's, I set up the Slingbox App to auto-start when the unit is turned on...I think there's a menu selection from the Home Screen that allows you to set a default App.  Makes it very easy for unfamiliar family and friends to turn on the TV w/out waiting for a "guru"...

NOTE:  This is totally from memory - I'll be back at the house in a couple of weeks and can run through the setup on my GTV w/ more details.

Good luck!

ACC6087906

Castrait, Thank you for the suggestion, but its still not working for me.  Slingbox help desk suggested port forwarding, but i have the actual box at a friend's house in the US and they're not computer savy enough to do that.  I might have to either scrap using GTV and use iPad (resolution not as good) or find another friend to host my Slingbox so i can keep GTV.

Just wish there were better competing Slingbox products, since i bought the Sony GTV specifically to use with Slingbox.  Now they stop supporting, PLUS break a way to connect.  I guess legacy interoperability is not a principle for Slingbox. 

Any other suggestions anyone has are appreciated.  Thanks,