17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2010 1:24 PM by msoued RSS

slingplayer on mac hangs while on full screen

larkt

has anyone else experience the slingplayer on snow leopard hanging momentarily when you move the cursor while on full screen?

i have just updated to latest mac osX and realized that after the sling has been playing on full screen mode for a while, if you move the cursor the video will hang for a few seconds before coming back. it's not a fatal error but an annoying one.

i am not certain if this is linked directly to the mac os update. has anyone else encounter this?

• Re: slingplayer on mac hangs while on full screen
          msoued

I experience somethhing similar but way more annoying, it started happening after I upgraded to snow leopard 1.6.4 I don't know if it was a coincidence.

after a while in fullscreen when I move the cursor the screen goes black.. only the sound comes up.. and after a while the whole computer freezes... Please HELP !!

Pasmo

I am getting the same issue (freezing/flickering of the screen) with audio and then the audio stops also. The whole computer is frozen. I can't esc out of full screen and I can't force quit slingplayer. I have tried restarting my computer several times and get the same issue once I launch slingplayer. I have tried restoring the slingplayer application thru time machine in case it got corrupted, but it looks like the issue may be compatibility with 10.6 (snow leopard) as I upgraded a couple of weeks ago. I have tried viewing thru the website and works fine (although poor quality).

Any ideas?

msoued

Pasmo,

I had exactly the same issue as you, it started happening when I upgraded to the latest version of leopard 10.6.4.. it used to work fine on version10.6.3..

I am not an expert on programing but suposedly the new version "fixed" some graphic issues.. I suspect that this is creating an incompatibility with the slingplayer.

I tried the same solutions as you, with no success.. and i tried opening it with rosetta, which it doesn't solve either.. I even tried to force the graphic card not to swich (the new macbook pro swiches graphic cards depending on the software running in order to save battery) and it also didn't work..

I hope somebody at slingmedia is listening since they hasn't release an update of the player in ages.. maybe about 8 month.. and even the actual version is becoming increasingly hidden on the slingbox website.. aparently they are favoring website viewing, which I hate it with a passion.

not only the quality is worse, but also it is a pain to swich channel in full screen.. not to mention if you want to watch it as a side bar leaving the rest of the screen to work with something else is impossible...

let's keep the thread alive.. maybe somebody at slingmedia will take notice..

one interesting thing to take into account, I have 2 macbooks.. a new Macbook pro 15' with high resolution screen running on snow leopard 10.6.4

which I am having this issue.. and an old 2008 macbook 13 inches.. also running 10.6.4

the older one didn't have a full screen issue so far...

if somebody out there can help us it would really be appreciated..

Pasmo

I don't think the problem is the newer macbook, as I have a 2008 15" macbook pro (2.4 GHz). I had been running 10.5 and finally got around to upgrading to 10.6 last week. I have a feeling that might be the issue. It was okay for awhile. My next step is to reinstall the slingplayer software and try again because I can't even launch it without it freezing as it is now. Any issues when not in full screen?

msoued

I only have issues on fullscreen so far.. there was only one instance that the mouse click froze while not on fullscreen I don't know if it is related with the slingplayer though...

otherwise I can watch it fine on a window or on the sidebars..

but it is not the same..

I hope reinstalling works for you, I tried several times to no avail.

good luck

Pasmo

The reinstall worked as far as letting me access slingplayer again. I am afraid to go full screen for now. I will try it again after I catch up on some sports I need to watch ;-)  I'll keep posting.

larkt

i've a 2009 macbook pro 17" 2.93GHz with 8GB DDR3. not sure if that helps but it's still happening although not as fatal as both of you have described.

mine hangs only at full screen too. the video will freeze or goes black with audio continuing and after a few seconds video will come back. so far, my macbook has not hung... (thank goodness) but still annoying!!

agree, viewing via the web sucks!

mikenielsen

I have two macbook pros, one older 17 inch and one brand new 13 inch.   They are both running Snow Leopard 10.6.4.    Sling player works perfectly on the older machine and not on the newer one, where the picture goes black with the sound continuing and then eventually freezes the computer. 

msoued

Mikenielsen,

I have the exact same issue, on my older mac the slingplayer works properly

both are running 10.6.4

I didn't have this issue on the newer MBP when I was running 10.6.3

but then again I only used my newer computer for about 2 weeks before upgrading.

so I have actually a coupe of questions questions for you:

- did you have any issues while running 10.6.3 ? did you ever try?

- does the screen goes black ONLY when watching on fullscreen or also when watching as a side bar or normal window?

- I also figured a couple of things testing mine, my issue only happens when I am watching fullscreen, and the screen only goes black (subsequently, the audio stops after a while and the computer freezes) after doing anything with my mouse... if I am watching fullscreen for a while and move my mouse or try to click, 80% of the time I have the issue; however, if I don't do anything with my mouse while on fullscreen, nothing happens... if I use keyboard shortcuts instead of using the mouse while on full screen, everything is working so far..

maybe if you don't use your mouse/trackpad while on fullscreen it is a partial solution for you too...

and basically I want to know if our issue happens exactly the same way and if the partial solution works for you too..

hopefully (although I doubt it) somebody at slingmedia is reading this and works on  a fix if they have all the details of the problem.

mikenielsen

msoued wrote:

- did you have any issues while running 10.6.3 ? did you ever try?

Not sure.   I don't think I did.

- does the screen goes black ONLY when watching on fullscreen or also when watching as a side bar or normal window?

I just tested this, since I only ever watch full screen.   You are right about the full screen issue.   When watching in a window, it works okay.   Also, yes, the touchpad seems to trigger the crash when watching full screen.   The woarkaround is not okay, though because you can't really use the remote control for my DVR without using the touchpad.   I would have to hit the esc key every time I wanted to fast forward over commercials.   I guess I will watch in a window for the time being.

Mike

BigSteve

I'm having the same issue, and I get the full freeze a short while after the audio stops.  This is really getting annoying, I'm going to throw this thing in the garbage soon!

dmsny Newbie

SAME ISSUE!! New MacBook Pro 13. SPM hangs on full screen with a double trackpad tap. Keyboard shortcut does not cause the issue. Web player really inconvenient since I'm using Google Chrome! I have to force a shut down to get my system back. Totally unacceptable.

Come on Sling Media, fix the Mac Desktop application NOW! How about an update (the iPad app can wait!).

msoued

dmsny,

you have my sympathies.. slingmedia are so slow to fix problems, and with their recent server problems, i guess it will take them a while (if ever) to fix this thing... I guess Slingmedia HATES apple...

I hope after their server problems that they learn the lesson and don't give up on slingplayer desktop softwares...

let's see

almonde

new graphics update for Snow Leopard today, fingers crossed this will fix it. seems to fix the Aperture issue that people think may be linked.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4286

msoued

Before coming back to this topic, I decided to thoroughly test my slingplayer for about 5 days, and I am glad to report that after the latest graphic update from Apple, I didn't have any more issues with watching slingplayer on fullscreen and using my mouse (or trackpad)..

I hope the Apple software update fixes the issue for everybody else