31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2014 11:25 AM by jhenryslentz RSS

WDTVLive loses connection, cannot access connection speed test.

ximenasoto

Anyone else having this issue?

WDTV Live running Slingbox app last for about 5 minutes. I have tested the connection on the ipad through the ipad app and on a pc and the connection never drops, Yet the second I put it on the WDTVLive box, it begins to skip out, drop frames and audio (even at it's lowest picture quality). I have reset the slingbox by unplugging it and plugging it back in and I have done a factory reset on the WDTV Live box and issue continues. The wierdest thing is that I can't access the connection speed test anymore, when I try and bring it up, the box says "connection lost". Anyone have any ideas?

• Re: WDTVLive loses connection, cannot access connection speed test.
          callanish Apprentice

I don't have any ideas, but I can backup what you're saying. Considering all my other sling connected devices ( ipad, iphone and Nexus 7 ) don't have this issue, nor does the webplayer, it's got to be a problem on sling's end, because everything else that streams on the wdtv live works fine. Let's hope that one of the slingmedia forum employees notices this thread and can forward it to sling's tech support team. It's something outside of our control at this point.

claudiofayad

I am also having the same problem. After 3:46min the connection drops showing Code 27. And I have to reconnect just to lose it again after 3:46min.

kornegay65

It is obvious that WDTV and Sling corporation could care less once they have your money. This has been an ongoing problem for 4 years and neither company has done anything to fix the dropped connections. ISP and BW issues is a claim, yet they fail to explain why iPad app works fine from same environment. ISP at both ends doesn't change, distance between the two locations don't change, just the app and device. Sling and WD have no more excuses, but they really don't care. I hope GOOGLE CHROMECAST GETS THE APP, so I can dump my WD. i also have started my search to replace the Slingbox, so I can recommend to other not to buy Slingbox or Western Digital TV. I do suggest you start posting and spreading the word now, before more people waste their money on 2 companies that fail to support their flawed devices. I have done the port forwarding, and even attempted some iptables redirect, all for it to act the same. Drop, drop, drop..

ximenasoto

Still having issues with it..

Here's the thing. They're selling Sony Internet TV's at a nearby electronics place and it has the same slingbox app as the WDTV Live box. And there's o issues. I can even access the speed test, which is something I couldn't do on the WDTV Live box..

Is anyone else having that issue?

callanish Apprentice

I just checked my Sony GS7 Google TV box with the slingplayer and you're right...No problems whatsoever with the Slingapp. It uses the same U.I and Flash as the WDTV live box, so it's both a sling and a WDTV problem without knowing who's responsible. If you haven't already, I'll post this issue over in the WDTV forum to see if it gets any traction. Since no one from sling has bothered to chime in here yet dealing with this thread, either because they don't have an answer, or they're waiting on the tech engineers to get back to them, the best thing we can continue to do is to keep this thread alive till someone from sling acknowledges the issue.

Kazak

Can anybody help?

Suddenly my 2 WD Media Players C3H - here in Spain - have started loses net-connection after streaming TV from my Slingbox 350 in Denmark after less than 3 minutes.

I can then start up the WD's net-connection again but after a few minutes it lose it's connection again. This repeat again and again.

If I stream from my Slinbox PRO-HD, the WD player do not lose the net-connection, and both Slingboxes stream ok at my laptop.

/Ove

ACC5824445

Also having code 27 error message after 4 min connection of TV, works fine on Ipad and Samsung phone...

victor.vanhalen

Exact same problem here...lose connection about 3-4 minutes with error code 27. I can reconnect, only to get the same error again. 

claudiofayad

I did solve this problem a few days ago. Sorry for not publishing before

I had the problem where after 3min 46s the connection would drop.

I fixed that by setting port forward on the router where my slingbox 500 is connected to open ports 5201 and 5001 for both TCP and UDP. And to make sure that the IP address of the slingbox did not change a set is as fixed on the DHCP configuration in the router.

Apparently the problem is that if you do not have these ports open, the WD player will establish a relay connection, probably using UDP, and it will work for a while and than drop. At the same time the UDP connection works fine if you are using the PC/MAC slingplayer.

I hope this helps.

callanish Apprentice

Doing that will solve the issue, but the wdtv live didn't have this connection losing problem using the Snatt / UDP / Relay streaming protocol until only recently. It's been fine for years with running relay.  For those streaming TCP for long distances, latency comes into play and streaming speeds can be worse through TCP than with relay and in my case 1/2 as much streaming speed through the webplayer running tcp than running it through snatt, so yes if you're streaming at long distances, absolutely need to use the wdtv live and are willing to sacrifice some streaming speeds, it's a solution, but something has been changed by sling causing relay connections on the wdtv live to fail. I never could understand why they couldn't get these connected devices to use Snatt rather than through relay. It's an answer I'm still waiting for and believe that it's still sling's responsibility to make sure the wdtv live app works with both TCP and relay.

ACC5824445

Sling phone tech support resolved same issue for us now that one of us is on location w Sling, modem, router. Working very well now.

Sling tech  (877) 467-5464

Sling Aware of WD issue, we also have a Roku but the reconfig you also refer to, eliminated our drop, error msg with vast improvement in HD quality.

Thanks for you input. 

Kazak

Hey Claudio

Thanks for your good advice, but:

Why does the problem suddenly occur? - What has Slingplayer or Westinghouse changed? - Can't it be changed back again??

In my Slingbox HD-PRO I can determine the IP-address myself, an I already have opened ports for it in the router. This however is not possibly at Slingbox 350, and because others are useing DHCP at the router, your solution can't be used!

A thing more: I'm in Spain for the next while, and my Slingboxes are in Denmark (3400 km away) and therefore I just can't change anything in my router!

/Ove

Kazak

Hey Claudio

Thanks for your good advice, but:

Why does the problem suddenly occur? - What has Slingplayer or Westinghouse changed? - Can't it be changed back again?

In My Slingbox HD-PRO I can determine the IP-Address myself, and I already have opened ports for it in my router. This however is not possible at Slingbox 350, and because others are using DHCP at my router, your solution can't be used!

One more thing: I'm in Spain for the next while, and my Slingboxes are in Denmark (3400 km. away) and therefore I just can't change anything in my router!

/Ove

Kazak

Does anyone knows about Westing House is reading this?

/Ove

jcini85

I am having the same problem. The Sling Player app connects to Slingbox and starts playing audio and video but every few minutes a "connection Lost" message appears with an error code 27. Any idea why this is happening??

Alcain

Does something happen soon??

I had just bought a Slingbox 350 and a WDTV-box but after only 14 days exactly the same problems began, and now the problems have lasted for nearly a month.

Alcain

callanish Apprentice

The fact that sling support hasn't even bothered to chime in is disappointing to say the least. A simple we're looking into it would be nice to hear and moderators, don't for one second think this has anything to do with our slingbox's, wdtv live box, our routers or our internet connections. Some of us have been running slingbox's for a long time that we probably know more than the sling employees that monitor these forums. You've got a problem with dropped connections between the wdtv boxes and the slingbox. Please look into it

ximenasoto

So now we got a Sony internet TV with Google TV in it, same app as the WDTV box, it seems to be a bit quicker but still having issues with the signal, it doesn't fully cut out but it freezes and pixellates to a crawl sometimes. switching over to watching on the app and back to the TV seems to fix it momentarily..

ACC5695720

Port Forwarding solution that has already been suggested and verified by one on this thread REALLY WORKS! I Had the same problem as others and went mad trying to figure it out with all the same symptoms of everything working perfectly EXCEPT the WD connected device.  The solution was already stated earlier in this thread.  Port Forwading solved the problem and now all is well and in HD with no hiccups on my WD, just like before.

To state again:

PLEASE TRY PORT FORWADING FOR THE SLING DEVICE (for Slingbox 500, it is port 5201).  IT REALLY WORKS!

You can Google how to forward a port for a device and for your specific router.   The routers made in the last several years do have a fairly intuitive way to do this so that casual PC users may be able to do it, but each routher is different.  I am no network person, but I was able to figure it out on my router along with basic info I researched on some specifics for my particual router.  Truly NOT DIFFICULT AT ALL.  It just that most users never need to do it, so it seems overwhemling or to techy to do.  If you stll feel too imtimidated to do it yourseflf, you can also get a family member or friend who know more about computers and routers to port forward for you (even the slightest geeky person can and probably has done port forwarding on their router), or, if you are really scared or afraid to mess things up, you could even pay a service like Geek Squad to do it for you, although I encourage you to get a family member or freind or DIY because it does save money compared to Geek Squad charges.

I should add that after you port forward and connect to the device for the first time, you may have to select/force the BEST HD option, but after that, it will pop into GREAT HD with no further problems, at least that was my experience.

Be aware that the port number is different for different generations of Slingboxes.  Click on the link below for more on Slingbox port numbers that can be used.

http://support.sling.com/sitecore/content/Support/KB/KB-2000144?sc_lang=en-UShttp://

Kazak

Great to hear that it works for you, but what can one do when one is more than 3000 km from ones router, and when it suddenly stops working?

Have already opened ports for my Slingbox HD-PRO - but this wasn't former necessary for my Slingbox 350 - why then now?

What has been done? Why not do it back??

/Ove

ACC5695720

Well, something was messed up along the way.  I can say that while

others seem to have experienced this far earlier than I (by several

months or even longer) I had no problems until just TWO days ago.  Now,

I hadn't used my WD LIve Hub for several weeks until two days ago, but

when I did first use it two day ago, I watched HOURS of Sling content on

my WD in FULL BEST 7Mbs average stunning HD.  Then, when I used it the

next day, the problems started.

I am not a network person but I will try my best to answer your point

about being far away, in a remote location, from the Slingbox and the

router connected to it:  Some ISP's either block or slow down the port

used by the Slingbox (different port numbers for different

generations).  That same port is also used by games/gamers.  ISP's are

known to monkey with that port from time to time.  However, this does

not mean that the ROOT of the problem is NOT the WD device such as the

Sling app on the WD not accessing the proper port as it had in the past,

hence the manual fix.

So, if you could have the person who is at the location of the Slingbox

access the router and Port Forward as explained in previous posts, it

may be the solution for your problems.  As I stated in an earlier post,

if that person at the Slingbox is uncomfortable with Port Forwarding and

doesn't trust a friend or relative to do it, you can hire a pro

service/individual who can do it for you, but truly, it isn't that

difficult for anyone to forward a port.  Please give Port Forwarding a

try, it could end your problems.  Let us know what happens.

Alcain

Dear ACC5695720

I AM able to open ports on my router, but there is no other living in my house, where the Slingbox is standing, when I'm in Spain, and the router is a professional router - Linksys DFL-210 - which is not easy to program, and In addition: I do not want others "into it".

Do you know there is a risk the Slingbox change IP-address if there is a power-loss, and when you can't define your box's IP-address yourself the port no longer suited to the new IP-address.

Therefore: something has to be changed from SlingPlayer, either one must be able to set a static IP address at the Slingbox, or Slinplayer must get the system up running again so all the users, who suddenly have got this problems, is'nt needed - with or without help - to program their hardware.

Have unfortunately too recommended friends in the UK to acquire the system with a WD-box and a Slingbox transmitting from the UK (I myself live in Denmark), and we where of course expecting  that the system would continue operate

/Bjarne

Kazak

Hi ACC5695720

Why do I suddenly need to open ports on my router only when I'm streaming to WD - it isn't necessary using an ordinary PC or I-pad!

It wasn't necessary until one of the last firmware-updates so why not change the firmware back again, so everything can work again.

Ove

ACC5695720

Because we have no indication Sling or WD will ever fix this, the why is irrelevant, the fact that it works for most who have port forwarded gets things working as was in just a few minutes with no further problems.  To answer your why question, others have already answered that. Please read ALL threads that have words relating to this problem to find out why.  The Sling process is not as straight forward as one might think.

Kazak

I do understand what you are saying - but the system has worked for a long time until the new firmware-updates!!!!

Why then not return to the program which was working?????